R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anyone know what mods need to be done to the HI-IQ Sr to work with the IQ3000 firmware? I thought I read somewhere that minor modifications to the PCB board/wires had to be done.

Also, anyone know of a firmware for the Victor chargers that does lipo charging? A guy over at rcuniverse.com said Victor produced some prototype units for industrial applications that had lipo capability. He clammed up when I ask him more about it though.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 AM   #47
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To get a Senior to run IQ3000 firmware you'd need the memory expansion board(or make a few mods to the main board), you also need to add the memory backup capacitor that allows the unit to remember programmed scripts.
It would also likely require 2 resistors to be changed unless you already have two of the current measuring resistors installed in it (would need internal pics to give more info)

There *is* firmware that allows the Victor to charge LiPo batteries, its been around since before LiPo batts were even available. It works with LiPos because there are several other battery chemistries that use the same constant current/constant voltage charging and it supported them.
To use the LiPo compatible firmware you need to make several changes to the mainboard, the changes limit the discharge rate to 15 amps but increase the Victors accuracy by a factor of 10.
I made the changes based on photos I had of the LiPo compatible model and the person that owned one also took some measurements for me. He also sent me an eprom with the firmware on it.
I used it at the track a number of times but found a few bugs in the firmware that made me uncomfortable using it with my LiPos for safety reasons.
Its been packed away in the original Victor carry case since then.(2 or 3 years ago)

Back when Maxtec bought Victor I was in contact with Joe(at least I think it was Joe, been so many years) and was hoping to develop some updated firmware for the IQ. It seems at the time Maxtec bought the IQ products from Victor a lot of the source code and schematics were lost. The schematics aren't a big deal but the source code would have been nice. Shortly afterwards Victor left the US. A year or so after that Maxtec disappeared over night. The hardware inside the IQ is more capable then most newer chargers/discharges, there is a reason it had such a great following.

I've never seen the IQ Equalizer before but it sure looks nice, now I want one(I've collected a lot of Victor stuff over the years and had never seen or heard of it)
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:00 AM   #48
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I posted a while back about a Victor Tech that was selling upgrades for Victors on Ebay and he had some complete boards for the chargers as well. Anyways when I was speaking to him through email about some problems I was having with my charger, I asked him about the possibility of being able to upgrade to Lipo charging abilities. He never replied to that question so I took it as No answer is an answer in and of itself! It would be grea to be able to do Lipos on this charger, why buy New when an old charger can do the same? But the real problem is that it is so hard to get repair work on these now that there is no devoted service that in the long run it isn't worth the hassle in trying to hunt someone down for help or to fix it unless you know how to do it yourself! Your best option is to pick up one of those Losi Lipo converters for charges that don't have a Lipo charge profile, not sure how well these things work, but at this point it's about your only option!
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #49
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Kind of late ot this thread. I had an IQ3000 and loved it. I did use the guys in Canada because of a blown fet. I was very disapointed when I got the charger back, all the serial #'s were sanded off the chips. I emailed him a told him that I did not authorize him to do that. I never herd back from him again.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #50
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

BigRed: Are you certain it was them, I am assuming it was Sam Capris that did the work on it? If I remember correctly it was Victor Engineering themselves that etched the IC's on the board, I could be wrong, but I could swear mine came that way New.
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes Wailin you're right. Both of my originals and also my two Quads, came that way. My IQs have been upgraded by Sam, but I haven't found anybody to upgrade the Quads.
c-lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Good to see some action in this thread. The Victor chargers have gotten pretty cheap now days. For this Hi-IQ Sr I only paid $35 shipped. I also have a couple Super IQ's that I picked up for ~$50. The only ones still bringing decent prices are the red faced Maxtec ones. I guess with LiPo and brushless becoming standard, the Victor's are loosing their appeal.

To upgrade the Hi-IQ Sr. to the IQ-3000 firmware can the parts be purchased at Rat Shack or one of the only electrical shops (Digikey, Mouser, etc)? TheSteve do you have a parts list and a schematic?

Also, same deal with all the Victors I have had. The part numbers were etched off the chips. Unfortunate to say the least since Victor Engineering is dead.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #53
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Red Maxtec Victor IQ

Is any one interested in a Red Maxtec Victor IQ 3000? I have one and would like to sell? $200.00??? Works Great.
Attached Thumbnails
will VICTOR ENGINEERING ever return?-victor-red-003.jpg  

Last edited by jpcardhound; 02-26-2008 at 10:25 PM.
jpcardhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ovalnator

how much??

[email protected]
ovalnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #55
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't have any upgrade parts list, pretty sure I used to years ago. I've modified quite a few IQs and repaired many in the West Coast of Canada.
I also started drawing the schematics but lost interest before they were done.

Its funny the red faceplates command more value but its been that way for a long time. I bought just the faceplates from Maxtec years ago. Sold off my IQs that had them years ago as well. The Super IQ/SuperIQfcc/Super2IQfcc/IQ3/IQ3000 all have the same internal hardware plus or minus a fet thats easily added, and of course an eprom. If anyone needs/wants IQ3000 firmware I can help, I can also add a custom power up message and a power on password if you like.

Victor always sanded the part #'s off the chips, the last production run that Maxtec did had the numbers left on the chips. Before that even happened though I had already figured them all out as in most IQs you can read at least one or two of them.
I do still have spare parts, CPU, ram, backup caps, regulators, fets.

Here are all the chips looking from the heatsink(spacing likely messed from posting it but still useful)
74ls04 74ls32 74ls74

27c256/ 74ls373 86c71/81/91 UM6116-20 74ls257 74ls257 CD4051 CD4051 CD4051
27c512

TL082

74ls10 74ls32 74ls390 74ls139 ICL8069/ICL7135

LM385-1.2
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #56
Tech Elite

ttt...

anyone have one of these units that they would like to sell?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #57
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovalnator View Post
ttt...

You've got to be kidding right?

These things went away a long time ago in the eighties along with the hairstyles.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Nope, not kidding. Need a couple to see the inner workings. Going to make it lipo compatible.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovalnator View Post
ttt...

I've got a Hi IQ sitting at home worked great last time I used it 2 years ago.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #60
Tech Adept

80 s huh?

they are lipo compatible wit voltage cut-off setting ! best charger ever !
wothrottle is offline   Reply With Quote