R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2005, 09:07 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by wothrottle
I own a victor charger,these are awesome!
but seeing the cdr 5000,the victor looks like fred flinstone used it.
The Victor chargers were truly ahead of their time... I just set mine up to do step charging. You're right about the look though... Fred Flinstone may indeed have used one at the Bedrock R/C track...

D
Old 04-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The firmware in the IQ series is a socketed EPROM. So you need to pull the chip and use an EPROM reader to dump the code out.

Then we'd have to page through the code on the chip(some BASIC but mostly assembler) and try to find the constants used to determine voltage drop.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:03 AM   #18
Tech Adept

bedrock r/c track rocks!!! all cars are powered by man power...

I have some .bin files,please give me your email and I send them to you.
wothrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #19
Tech Adept

anyone?
wothrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to Racin_James Send a message via AIM to Racin_James

I had last though Sam in Canada was not doing repairs anymore. If anyone has a way to get ahold of him please email me. I have one but have not used it because it needs some work. A couple new fets and some adjustment.

My email is [email protected].
Racin_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:56 AM   #21
Tech Initiate

Sam is doing repairs as of ? ? ? . . . I contacted Modelland / Sam back in January when I blew up my charger. He was going to be out a few weeks, so I waited and then sent my charger. It's April 11th and I still don't have it back yet, but two weeks ago I know he was working on repairs and upgrading it to the 3000 chip. I've called Modelland multiple times over the past 3+ months and nobody calls or emails me back when I ask for a status update. My coorespondence two weeks ago was the first thing I had heard in writing since they acknowledged receiving it back in February. I know that Sam is doing this part time and on his own schedule with Modelland just working on the collection part of the equation from my understanding. I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to get the unit back if you sent one off. I've had to bum charger space the few times I've made it to the track. For me though, I've got all the software and a laptop to do the cell matching, so there isn't anything in a reasonable price range that does with my Victor does, and interface to the PC.

Oh, and to date:
$10+ in international calls via cell phone (DOH!)
$25 in shipping to canada
$120 (haven't got bill yet though) for repairs and upgrades

Yea . . . very soon I'll be 1/2 way to a newer modern Competition Electronics charger. *Sigh*
BradleyMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

As far as the Flinstone comment on it's looks, I always thought it looked pretty modern and thought that the aluminum casing looked cool, even today. I guess by todays standards it could deffinately be smaller and maybe use a larger display to show more information at once. Other than that I still like the way it looks!

I don't see Victor engineering ever returning as a company or being picked up by anyone else! I wish! On a side note, when I first spoke to Sam when he first started doing repairs, I mentioned to him about the fact that he had so much knowledge about these units that he could build one from scratch and should see if he could obtain Victor from Maxtec. He said he tried to contact the owner of Maxtec to inquire what was going to be done with the company by the shareholders but said he never heard back from him, never found out what they were or did with the company!

Although there are many good things that could be said about these units, there are also many bad things, this being the repairs in and of themselves. My cousin has owned a Turbo unit for about 9 years and has never had to send it in for repair! Granted this doesn't hold true for all owners of other units but Victors seemed to be notorious for needing Tech work done on them. I myself had to send my unit in multiple times for things that had nothing to do with fault of mine. When they work they work great, but when there are problems they seem to be plenty!
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by WailinOnYa

Although there are many good things that could be said about these units, there are also many bad things, this being the repairs in and of themselves.
Perhaps this is because the charger operate at high temperatures. While newer charger use PWM technology to regulate charging current, Victors appear to use regulate current by dissipating excess voltage as heat, this kills the FETs sooner
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:00 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

Default Victor Engineering Website

Hello Victor Fans
Just wondering if anyone is interested in getting Victor Products Website and Forum Going - Anyone interested please email me at [email protected] with Information /Firmwares /Pictures /Manual e.t.c and anything about the chargers/accessories.

Regards
Paul
Paul Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #25
Tech Initiate

My charger should be on it's way back to me now. I got an email Wednesday that they needed shipping/billing information. I can't wait to get it back! Ironically, this weekend I was taking apart one of my "old school" charger stands that had a Tekin BC100L, Radio Shack (modified) and an old Associated dial charger and the presumed dead RS charger suddenly started working. I charged all my SCR NiCads including my new Venom pack with no problems. Figures! I can't wait to get the Victor back because I've got some cells to match.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to j21moss

well i hope it works good when you get it.. I got a IQ-SR. and would love to get it repaired.. I like it better than my turbo 35..
j21moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: will VICTOR ENGINEERING ever return?

Quote:
Originally posted by wothrottle
maybe somebody knows something?
maybe in name only, because someone picks it up.

one of the original designers/founder of the company you are talking about.....Gil Trye (not sure on spelling) works with or for Novak now. i first met him at a 12th race back in 1986. had problems with my ESC Victor made.
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:47 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by j21moss
well i hope it works good when you get it.. I got a IQ-SR. and would love to get it repaired.. I like it better than my turbo 35..
it was never designed to the load of discharging multiple packs of 3300's no matter what software mod was done.

a friend of mine who races offroad fried his cycling 3300 packs. no options on it worked. he told me he had some wiring, software, and fan mods done to handle 3000+ packs. by someone in Canada that used to repair these.

anyway, before he sent it off, i took it apart (lots of MOSFETS had to be disconnected) and found a 1/4'' wide stripe of circuit board THIN copper had fried. i rebridged the gap (13G wire) and reassembled it and no problems since. he now keeps a household fan on it when cycling. that would rarely ever happen on the industry standard Turbo-35. companies make money off these units.

Speaking of all those Mosfets, i would recommend popping your case and making sure the Heat Transfer cream, the white stuff between the Mosfet and the alumninum case isn't dried out and the screws are tight. this will insure max heat dissipation. any Mosfet that are odd colored..... change them. if your unit has become overheated you may have had something simply become unsoldered and not making good contact.

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 04-19-2005 at 11:13 PM.
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:19 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Default maxtec

maxtec was the last owner of victor, i could be wrong, but fellas
let this old out dated charger die. you guys could to way better,
this thread is so stupid.......suckers that got got
lickrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:18 AM   #30
Tech Initiate

Excuse me? "Suckers that got got"? What kind of a person are you really? Victor Chargers were the top of the line charger and thanks to the software, they still are quite capable units. In the recent charger reviews in RC Car Action, I think only one charger even had PC compatibility built into it. These new chargers may be everything and the greatest thing since sliced bread -- but if I can't graph and store data on cells/packs then it's of little use to me. It's not like we bought something and then are expecting too much out of it.

As to the comment on discharging 3300 cells using the charger -- if you have an upgraded charger, you can use the auxillary dump discharger mod (on the Canadian guy's site) to help disapate the heat . . . taking the load off the FET's. Some of us were racing with these chargers a long time ago -- and they were fantastic products. Victor was on the forefront of technology -- I still have a HIQ Tracker to do onboard readings from a race or practice. I'm anxious to get my Victor back and put it back into service.