Community
Wiki Posts
Search

27 Turn Stock Motor Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

Default 27 Turn Stock Motor Racing

I did a search and reviewed all the existing threads and could not find an answer to my questions. I am fairly new to RC racing but have an background in 2 cycle kart racing so I understand the concept of "Blue Printing" an engine.

For the past 6 mo I have been running at a local carpet track in the stock class. This track is suppose to follow Roar rules but the only things checked are weight and ride height. There are 3 groups of racers that are very fast and they gladly share chassis sets, roll out, and brush/spring information. Out of frustration I attempted to buy a motors from several of these racers but no one would even consider it.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what these guys are doing to their motors. also can anyone tell me why people continue to work on one motor during a race day? In kart racing when a motor was sour, we would just swap it out.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Stock racers are some of the most serious racers you will ever encounter. They will tweak on a motor till they find the right spring brush combination.

Getting them to sell one of their good motors would be like trying to get a guy to trade his corvette for a pinto. Not going to happen.

They will share some info with you but most of the info they will not share with you. It is just one of those things that they do to stay above the competition.

Later,
Old 04-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Default Stock Motors

You are right they are a serious bunch. I hear all kinds of things being done especially with magnetic fields being altered to change the timing to special wind that have epic27 lables on the armature. All I am looking for is a level playing field.

The one thing that I can't figure out is why they only work on one motor during a race day. My theory was to have at least 2 main motors and if one goes sour during the heats switch it out before the main. The motor they keep working on must be special??

Thanks

Paul
Old 04-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

What kind of car are you racing?Buy working on 1 motor all day all your doing is keeping it fresh.Most racers have practice motors and race motors.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i think the one motor thing is to maintain a consistent motor for racing... every motor runs different, once you find a good setup, you keep using it, that way you dont have the car torqueier in one heat, faster in another, etc... due to different motors...

personally i use 2 just cause im lazy on raceday and dont want to cut motors between heats lol
Old 04-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Its simple.

By working on one motor, you know what you have to start with, therefore, you can see the result of the changes made, either good or bad.

What you are seeing is probably overkill for stock racing though. Turning every run I don't think provides any real advantage. The brushes then have to "break in" again. Also, most brush compounds have lubricants in them that adhere to the comm. When you turn the comm, you remove these lubricants. I have found motors to be best after a couple runs.

Maybe these guys are just tweaking spring rates, which can have a profound impact on performance.

The most important aspect of stock racing, though, is to carry corner speed. Even with identical set ups, the driver who carries the corner speed is going to be faster. The shortest line isn't always the fastest.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about straight speed, but go for good punch. you really aren't loosing that much time on the straight.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Default birdman

stiffer is better, cut every run, you never win on the straight, dead short your batteries, all things lead to SoCal
Old 04-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

GETTING YOUR SETUP AS GOOD AS YOU CAN, WILL OUTWEIGH motor performance in stock... if your car is not good, you will not be able to take advantage of the extra zip... Ill run the same motor all day.. i usually cut the comm every run, but i use the same brushes.. No problems with power either..

in stock the difference between first and last isnt motor or batteries,, its setup and driving..
Old 04-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Feel free to cut every run. I just dont do it cause I don't like to buy motors that often. My motors, cut every 6-7 runs are just as fast as anybody elses, or faster.

I don't just run onroad though, with is a little tougher on motors, but even so..... I guess its personal preference, and if you think you are faster with fresh comm every run, then you are!

I disagree that stiffer is always better. (as it relates to electric motors...... )

The negative brush is being pulled into the comm by electromotive force, therefore the extra friction caused by a really stiff brush hinders performance.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

GETTING YOUR DRIVING AS GOOD AS YOU CAN, WILL OUTWEIGH setup in stock... if you cant stay away from walls, you will not be able to take advantage of the perfect tuning...
lol adding on to what burbs was saying.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Default ok

that setup won the reedy race in 19 turn class two years in a row, and two roar regionals this year alone, works on all stock moters too, takes more heat away from the comm.

Last edited by lickrim; 04-04-2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

What set up.

Stiffer. Thats relative. Stiffer than what?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Tech Addict

Default stiff this

180 degree black orion spring
Old 04-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Stock Motors

Originally posted by pcmlc
You are right they are a serious bunch. I hear all kinds of things being done especially with magnetic fields being altered to change the timing to special wind that have epic27 lables on the armature. All I am looking for is a level playing field.

The one thing that I can't figure out is why they only work on one motor during a race day. My theory was to have at least 2 main motors and if one goes sour during the heats switch it out before the main. The motor they keep working on must be special??

Thanks

Paul
The armatures that say EPSTK27 are illegal for ROAR; they have 4 less laminations than the monster arm, have a shorter wire, and is epoxy balanced. This arm in the monster can is very good. Or they could just be running the Binary2 quad mag can. The ROAR legal monster arm will be tagged EPIC27.

What kind of track are you running on? Size, technical or fast, surface, etc.?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

When do you rezap your motor? Also what do people spray inside the motor cans?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.