R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
gpr
Tech Initiate

Default HELP PLEASE

Hi guys, mi name is Henry new to the forum and onroad scene. Let me start off ive tried searching and have not found and answer to my questions. Basically i am looking for a strong frame to bash around parking lots and couple speed runs (70+) maybe some drift too, I am not a racer. Budget is around $500-$550. .I dont have much knowledge on what KV to use for 3/4s lipo nor whats needed to get these suckers to go 70mph, Please feel free to give your opinion whether or not i should get what i have in mind. Heres what i plan on getting.

TEAM ASSOCIATED TC4
4500KV sensored motor , was told sensored is best for drifting (what brand?)
MAMBA MAX PRO ESC
3S/4S

QUESTIONS?????
What kv motor/lipo set up do i need to go 70+?
What brand motor?
Whats the max recomended mph for tc4?
What are must do mods on the tc4?
What store sells the most part for the tc4?

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP
gpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
gpr
Tech Initiate

The guy at hobbie store recommende trinity D3.5 motors, just notice the 21.5T 2800kv recommends 1-2cell only while other brands i notice go up to 4s and 6s with diffrent gearing. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr View Post
Hi guys, mi name is Henry new to the forum and onroad scene. Let me start off ive tried searching and have not found and answer to my questions. Basically i am looking for a strong frame to bash around parking lots and couple speed runs (70+) maybe some drift too, I am not a racer. Budget is around $500-$550. .I dont have much knowledge on what KV to use for 3/4s lipo nor whats needed to get these suckers to go 70mph, Please feel free to give your opinion whether or not i should get what i have in mind. Heres what i plan on getting.

TEAM ASSOCIATED TC4
4500KV sensored motor , was told sensored is best for drifting (what brand?)
MAMBA MAX PRO ESC
3S/4S

QUESTIONS?????
What brand motor?

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP
Whew, those are some loaded questions. I cannot help you with most of them, but I do know there are some threads on here that discuss motor recommendations for speed runs. I appreciate that you've search, but I know for certain that there are some threads around.

Here's my attempt at some of your questions:

QUESTIONS?????
Not sure on motor KV, but a 3T motor on 2cell with appropriate gearing may start to approach 70mph. Although, I suspect this motor probably wouldn't be best for drifting. Faster than this and I'd think you'd need more than 2s. Other threads should have this info.

What brand motor?
There are a lot of good ones. Pick your color.

I'm not sure you're going to find this information. The tires may blow before the car does. ...may want to use foam on speed runs.

not sure, but for speed, may want to add weight to front.

check out your LHS, or online stores, amainhobbies.com and stormerhobbies.com to just name a few.

good luck.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Not exactly an answer to your questions ---

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
-Dutch- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
gpr
Tech Initiate

Thank you @samnelso yeah i dont want to get a high kv motor and get stuck on 2s thats why i think is best to get a low kv and go 3 or 4s, now my question is how low of a kv motor. Guys your help is greatly appreciated and needed, i dont just want to buy what seller at the hobbie shop tells me to i want to know what works best. Crazy vid @dutch.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Thank you @samnelso yeah i dont want to get a high kv motor and get stuck on 2s thats why i think is best to get a low kv and go 3 or 4s, now my question is how low of a kv motor. Guys your help is greatly appreciated and needed, i dont just want to buy what seller at the hobbie shop tells me to i want to know what works best. Crazy vid @dutch.
You can start looking at some of the 8th scale setups. Castle makes great motors and ESC's for this as does Tekin, pick your favorite color here. The Castle MMM can handle up to 6s I believe and you can pair it with one of the 2200 motors and it will scream. Problem is fitting it in a TC4. Most of the 540 can lower turn motors aren't really designed to run more then 2s. Castle makes the MMP ESC and you can run it up to 6s and pair it with the castle 1406 7700kv motor. This should be more then you need. This motor on 4s should get you close to the 90-100,000 rpm range. This theoretically will push you over 80mph with the right gearing, but i am not so sure your drivetrain will handle this much power.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
gpr
Tech Initiate

thank you for the reply, i though for 4s i had to get a 4600kv motor or lower, that is my biggest concern.

WHAT KV MOTOR FOR 3-6S LIPO?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
thank you for the reply, i though for 4s i had to get a 4600kv motor or lower, that is my biggest concern.

WHAT KV MOTOR FOR 3-6S LIPO?
better question is what kind of 10th scale onroad drivetrain will sustain that kind of brute force? i see all kinds of drivelines issues on shaft driven cars on 2s let alone 3+ or belted cars.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
Tech Regular

with 4.5T 8.0 gear ratio we are doing around 100km/h (62mph) with 2S on the straight with our touring cars running turbo. And it is gear for track not for speed run. So with 3.5T you should not have much issue going over 70mph. And yes, we kill the belt very offen. too offen. LOL
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Should give yourself some allowance for spare parts with that budget...
jjjheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
gpr
Tech Initiate

So if a tc4 wont handle 70+, what kit should i buy that not only drivetrain and suspension are strong but also the chassis. And that parts are not that hard to find
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.ofnawarehouse.com/product...oducts_id=3157

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item1e721d0d87

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-5300-5s1p.html

All together this combo would not be much more $$$ then a 1/10th setup but way better for what you want to do.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Dumb question: why do you want to go 70?
If you must go 70 across a parking lot repeatedly, a racing road car is probably a bad idea for a base chassis. They are too low, meant to race and turn corners on prepared surfaces, a pebble ar 70 would ruin the car. I would use a much larger vehicle, a 1/8 scale electrified buggy or truck.
For power, Hobbypartz.com has Chinese 1/8 scale systems and batteries for great prices, including 4 cell power brushless. That and a used or base model 1/8 chassis may get you to 70 and do it more than once. They also have usable radios and servos for cheap.
Remember, 70mph is 103 feet per second. That is damn fast for hitting stuff. Why does 70+ have such appeal that you're willing to special build a car to do it?
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
gpr
Tech Initiate

Once again, thank you guys for the advice. @DesertRat I already have a tm21 revo a 3s mini revo 60+mph and basically an onroad is what i always wanted but didnt get cause is not as practical or as usefull as the revo or mini e revo. The rc will be use to mess around and drift but if i am buying new motor and esc i would like to get something that i can also do speed runs once a while.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Hold out and find a used Traxxas XO-1.
jjjheimer is offline   Reply With Quote