R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #91
Tech Regular

Something I haven't read a whole lot here is about racing smarter. Even somebody who is obviously slower needs to race smarter, if they get in an accident when the faster guy takes them out they just ran a slower race then they would have run if they would have let him pass. A couple months ago I was racing my 1/12th scale, I started out blazing and had put 2 laps on third and fourth. Around the 6 minute mark my batteries started to go soft and 4th place started slowly gaining on me. I could have easily kept him behind me; I chose to let him gain a lap back. I avoided a potential accident and ensured I would finish in second. Ultimately 4th caught 3rd and passed him in the last corner. Not only was this guy happy for finishing 3rd, but he had more respect for my driving.
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #92
Tech Apprentice

Default being lapped

nice to see more people bringing up respect for other drivers!it costs just as much to fix your own car as it does someone elses.we recently had a case where a younger but very fast driver took out three of the 4 other amain cars in a row.obviously he was faster and our amains are usually very clean because we know we can run hard and depend on the other guys to be clean.needless to say when it was over none of the other guys were real happy with him.i talked to him and explained he would get much more respect and probably run faster not doing this and guess what the following week he did,ran a clean race and finished first instead of second besides earning some respect from guys that are always in the a main.there a guys that no matter what happens think they should be first at all costs and will never change their driving style so you do what you have to with them.but there are still ways of doing it without causing a crash,my favorite is to force them to run into a corner harder than they want to at this point they will push up the track at this point while you go inside.nobody crashed and most of the time nobody even realizes what you just did.this happens in real auto racing all the time is it clean i dont really know but i didnt wreck anybody in the process of passing them so i guess so.at least until there are more clean drivers without the attitude of see you in the hospital!those are the kinds of attidudes that quickly turn people and younger racers away from this hobby!!!!
morpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #93
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Haha! I love doing that in offroad! Someone races you down the straight when you're on the inside. So just keep on it deeper than you normally would and since they are trying to race you instead of paying attention alot of guys will shoot right off the track. I did that to two of my buddies last year and it was hilarious. Like a 3 foot drop off.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The only problem with guys that "race ya down the straight" is when you have a faster motor to do that, but then I'm all over your bumper in the tight and twisty sections and your slowing my laps down, patience will fade.

The key to racing is this. It is a competitive sport. Show me a person who races "just for the fun" and I will show you a liar. We all have to race together. Do you want to be know as the "idiot who can only pass with his bumper" or the guy who is a clean racer. I like the guy who said he talked to the younger driver and the kid cleaned up his act. Always the best thing to try first. However, you will still get racers young and old, male or female, that will never learn, and will never understand why people keep punting their cars off the track. Red Mist exists in every sport.

When I started racing two years ago, I made it a point to learn who the fast drivers were at the local tracks so I could make room for them when the were coming to lap me, and I didn't need an announcer to help me. However, I did run into fast guys that you could never give enough room to and they still hit / spun you trying to pass, and then they would yell at me for being in the way. It is just as important for the faster cars to race and pass cleanly, even lap cars, as it is for lappers to give some room. The key is some room. If you expect a lapped car to pull of the track and park for you to get by, then you are not as good a driver as you think you are.

Above all, we all have to remember, *&%$# happens, and this is racing. I learned that racing 1/1 scale. Patience is the best thing I have learned now that I can lap cars. Better to lose 2 seconds a lap for 2-3 laps to get by a slower car then lose 15 seconds waiting for a turn marshall to flip you back over.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #95
Tech Regular

I move keep my line in the corner. eventually there gonna pass you
brad shearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #96
Tech Apprentice

Default being lapped

kevin,
ithink the problem is yes we all race for the competition or we wouldnt do this.but having raced full scale cars where you crash for the same reasons and it cost 5-10000 dollars on a good day plus the week of long nights to put it back together gives us a different outlook at this.breaking your car because of someone else still stinks but 5-20 dollars later and 20 minutes and its back to racing!most that have never raced fullscale dont understand much of this,people cmplaining about tracks,etc.in fullscale its easy dont like the rules or the track dont come back!same goes for on track courtesy you gain respect from drivers by giving it .YOU should know who is faster than you at any given time.this is why my cars are always some obnoxious color,they stand out.and i agree that poor driving skill or lack of patience is no excuse for running over someone.the best advice is take your time ,learn how to drive better and HAVE FUN!!!!!!none of us will probably ever make a living doing this.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #97
Tech Addict

First I’m glad to see this type of discussion on the board.

My two cents are that there are other things to consider in this case. Simply plowing into someone and winning a race doesn’t mean that the race is over. Do remember that there are often other qualifiers to go and sometimes even a main, and the next time that drive sees you coming that scenario most likely will end differently so try to be as clean as possible.

The other thing is , is that you have to be aware that not all drivers are on the same level as you are and that sometimes you have to drive for both them and yourself. If you know you’re taking someone of less experience from behind then try not to pass them around the corner 'cause chances are they will not be able to keep control of their car and it often just makes them nervous. Likewise you also have to be courteous to them and try not to pass them on the slower line. Often this just means you’re going to hit right into them when in actuality you should have let them go even if they are slower.

Last but not least if the next position behind of you is gaining you have the right to make your car as wide as possible as long as you are fighting for position. Therefore, if you can not pass at the movement but the next guy is coming there is nothing wrong with taking up as much of the lane as possible as long as he extends the same curiousness to you as well.

Being a driver that plows into people does not help you or the slower driver so there is rarely a case where doing so is ok.

M.I. Jedi.
IslandBwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #98
Tech Fanatic

Believe me, I'm not saying punt every car in your way, just the good drivers that know better and intentionally hold you back, because they have the attitude "i'm just gonna hold my line and they drive around me" Punt Em'
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #99
Tech Elite

First of all, Scrubb, don't be an ass. There's no need to intentionally wreck a car b/c they think they can run with the race leader. What you do is set them up for the pass. If they want to block you, then you enter high in a turn. They swing out to block the outsidepass, and you cut-off the apex. Now there's nothing their ego can do for them since you passed in the turn, and left them down the straight.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #100
Tech Adept

Default Re: Question: Being laped !

Quote:
Originally posted by Drew_Cat
Hey Racers I would like to know Your opinions.

If a racer is being laped for the third time in the MAIN by the leader,
should that racer move out the way or make it harder
for the leader to pass.
you're all missing the original question here........
ABSOLUTELY get out of the way.....there's no other thought here....sorry...stay in the way, create a wreck, then complain because "poor you" got taken out....
Bob Schoenau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:48 PM   #101
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Question: Being laped !

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Schoenau
you're all missing the original question here........
ABSOLUTELY get out of the way.....there's no other thought here....sorry...stay in the way, create a wreck, then complain because "poor you" got taken out....
That was discussed quite alot in this thread, and it has moved to other points of racing now.

The way I see it if people are wrecking it's because they are going to fast. Can't control it, slow down. Simple as that. Wanna get good at dodging other cars, run your 1/12 scale when the track is full of mini coopers..
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Morpwr - how true, how true. My SCCA GT-3 Mazda got nailed by a guy in a GT1 Corvette when I raced many moons ago because he was in a hurry to get back on track after he screwed up and went off (like getting punted in R/C by a guy you just passed becuase they went wide, and then they nail the gas and take you out). The vette driver was a dentist so one root canal later and they people who prepped his car had it finished. Five straight nights of thrashing and $ 1,000 later plus the $ 700.00 in Mazda contigency I was out (running Nationals) and my car was on a trailer the following Friday night heading to Sears Point. Oh yeah, I finished the final trim color while the car was on the trailer.

If guys had to spend the time and $$$ rebuilding their R/C cars for their indiscretions on track to a sclae like 1/1 cars, I guarantee you would see a LOT cleaner racing.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #103
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Scrubb
Believe me, I'm not saying punt every car in your way, just the good drivers that know better and intentionally hold you back, because they have the attitude "i'm just gonna hold my line and they drive around me" Punt Em'
If your racing for position and the guy leading is holding a tight line, there is NO excuse to punt to pass. I have been on both sides of this one and they have been some of the best races I can remember. If you're really that better, or they are that slower, they will make a mistake and you can get by clean. If you want a Dale Earnhart rep, then go ahead. Just remeber how the whole crowd at Bristol booed him when he spun Terry Labonte on the last lap. Nobody bought his BS that he was just trying to rattle Labonte.

I think you can classiy most drivers as clean, dirty, or inexperienced. I choose to drive clean when I got in the sport, and have reaped the benefits of better drivers becoming my friends and helping me because of my attitude. Thats why I run in A mains now instead of the D main.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #104
Tech Apprentice

Default being lapped

kevin,
you bring up another very good point in fullscale racing.take a look at what driving like that did for tony stewart!who i would say is probably one of the best drivers to come around in along time.im sure some will dissagree but name one other driver that can win in pretty much anything he drives including r/c.he has really cleaned up his act this year and is showing much more patience with other drivers and so far its paying off for him.plus nascar hasnt come around lately to slap his hand i also took the same route as you did coming into this hobby and with exactly the same results.i may not be the fastest guy on the track or win the most races but im almost always in the a main and top3 in points.alot of this comes from having the respect of other drivers when qualifing ,they give me room when i get stuck in a slower one and i do the same in return.if i have to take somebody out to win ill take second while running aclean race and go home feeling good about it.this doesnt mean i wont run you hard or jump on the first mistake you make because i will!thats the way racing should be clean and fun.you dont see guys at national meets stuffing each other in the amain(well usually)or blocking and its usually frowned apon.worst part is we have all seen fathers telling their children when getting passed by someone to hit them basically win at all cost.and yet we wonder why we get posts like the one a few back.