R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-05-2005, 09:47 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Maybe a new question..

Where is the best place to let someone by?

I like to slow down and go high in a corner and let them by.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:13 PM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jbrow1
Maybe a new question..

Where is the best place to let someone by?

I like to slow down and go high in a corner and let them by.
If I'm able to easily scoot out of the way, I'll early-apex a sweeper. That will leave a huge hole on the inside for a moderately skilled driver to get by. However if he can't get by, I'm just gonna continue to hold my line and he can worry about how to get around me.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:56 AM   #78
Tech Fanatic

At least we are getting honest responses now.

Let them pass in the slowest corner that you can go wide in, the slower speed will reduce driving errors.

If you can verbally tell them your intentions of letting them pass and where, you'll both be much better off.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
Or if the race director isn't following things and calling traffic, just quote Blackstock on the stand...

"Beep-Beep"
HA Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ha Ha ARRH HE Ha
I love that.

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #80
Tech Adept

In my view, the faster drivers will find a way to get around you, trying to move out of the way causes more wrecks than just driving normally. The only exception is to take the turns wide if you know a leader is on your tail.
What gets me upset is when a faster car thinks they can just plow right into the back of you and complain you are in the way. That is just poor driving on their part!

I think a key problem is knowing if it's a leader or not coming up behind. If it is someone else trying to pass you for position, even if you are a lap behind the leaders, no way you should let THEM pass. Racing is racing, even if its for last place. I'm trying to pass the car ahead and stay in front of the one behind.

Having leaders call out they are coming up often creates confusion.

Wouldn't be ideal if the leaders were somehow easily identified during the race? I know this also would make WATCHING the race better.
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #81
Tech Apprentice

Default getting lapped

wouldnt it be nice if all the fast drivers where that clean!ive seen on many occassion drivers with a very high skill level drive through cars obviously on purpose.and ive also helped slower drivers fix their cars only to have them come back in the next qualifier and tell one of my friends your going to have to work to get around me.nice when your buddy is 2 seconds faster each lap and he takes him out on the next four laps in the qualifier.so helping the struggling drivers doesnt always work either.i guess the only fair thing to say is just like real auto racing you have to know who you are racing with and there driving styles.one of the best things you can do time permitting is watch some of the practices and other qualifiers ,you will soon learn who is fast and who is clean or not.as for telling someone to hold a line when coming up on them in qualifiers this works well at our local track.its actually funny this much has been written about this subject because in the end crashing whether caused by you or someone else slows you down!!!!!so regardless letting someone go by and not crashing is still faster than holding them up,because after a few corners of being held up they will eventually punt you.
morpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:27 AM   #82
Tech Fanatic

Nimble,

Back in the old days, we used to have to put number stickers on our cars so the race director could identify the cars. But with transponders and personal transponders so avaliable, it has become a thing of the past. Same with trophy awarded for club racing. I miss the old ways.

I had to punt a racer out of my way about two weeks ago, Running stock 1/12th, lapping a decent driver for the third time, who happens to have a slow motor, I had been sitting behind this guy for 5 laps. Second place is closing in on the lead i had built. Now this driver isn't new by any means, useally he's one of the faster racers. He's not letting me by, he's just racing me, three laps down already. This is about 3 minutes into the 8 minute run. We have a small indoor carpet track so the lap times are around the 7 second range. So I bump him out of the way going into a corner and continue my run. I wasn't sorry for doing it, i did it on purpose. I didn't care if he was pissed because i hit him, because he obviously didn't care he was pissing me off by slowing me down.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #83
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Scrubb
Nimble,

Back in the old days, we used to have to put number stickers on our cars so the race director could identify the cars. But with transponders and personal transponders so avaliable, it has become a thing of the past. Same with trophy awarded for club racing. I miss the old ways.

I had to punt a racer out of my way about two weeks ago, Running stock 1/12th, lapping a decent driver for the third time, who happens to have a slow motor, I had been sitting behind this guy for 5 laps. Second place is closing in on the lead i had built. Now this driver isn't new by any means, useally he's one of the faster racers. He's not letting me by, he's just racing me, three laps down already. This is about 3 minutes into the 8 minute run. We have a small indoor carpet track so the lap times are around the 7 second range. So I bump him out of the way going into a corner and continue my run. I wasn't sorry for doing it, i did it on purpose. I didn't care if he was pissed because i hit him, because he obviously didn't care he was pissing me off by slowing me down.

well, if your faster driver than him, why not go around him instead of hitting his car? if u did that to me, ur going to spend some time in the hospital
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #84
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

Quote:
Originally posted by dakrat
well, if your faster driver than him, why not go around him instead of hitting his car? if u did that to me, ur going to spend some time in the hospital
Just the type of Racers the hobby needs!!
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #85
Tech Adept

Default Re: getting lapped

Quote:
Originally posted by morpwr
wouldnt it be nice if all the fast drivers where that clean!
I think fast drivers who intentionally drive through slower drivers have no class. It's funny to see some of the responses here and how many people will simply "punt" the slower drivers before being patient enough to overtake cleanly. But then again maybe in their mind they are running away from the other cars because they don't have the skill to re-take the lead if they are passed themselves...

Please don't get me wrong, I am not preaching from a high horse or anything but ever since my friend showed me a 1/12 worlds video where I saw the leader make contact with the car that was trying to overtake him actually pull over and wait for his opponents car to be marshalled before resuming the race with him I have adopted the ethic of trying to be as clean as possible and if there is contact to pull over and wait. Let me tell you, I have gained a lot of respect from my fellow racers. In fact the first time it happened, the whole place was clapping... I did, however, end up hitting a board later and loosing the race to him, but I felt better about myself and had people coming over to me to say that things like that just aren't seen enough... Even the race director had something to say about it.

I am not a great driver... not by a long shot! But I feel if you take on a more professional attitude about ho you drive and wait for opportunities it get's noticed, you get more respect from your fellow racers, and it opens more doors when seeking sponsors.

This is a small hobby that we are in and nobody want's to be known as a jerk.
F1-Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Quote:
Originally posted by dakrat
That kind of attitude is not needed in racing.

It can be easy to gain a lap on someone yet still very difficult to get past them. Most tracks I've seen have one very deffinate racing line, if the other driver is good enough to stick to it but you still manage to get in the position to lap them then one of you has to go off the racing line.
All it takes is for the guy being lapped to run a couple of feet wide at one corner apex and loose half a second.
Rather than the faster car moving off line, which by deffinition is the slower line. A lot does depend on the track itself though, some just have very few overtaking places and some times the only reason you're in the position to lap or be lapped is because there's one or two corners that are tricky but vital to a good lap time, the rest of the track you may be equaly as fast. In such a case why not just let the fast car pass and learn how they take those corners.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: getting lapped

Quote:
Originally posted by F1-Fanatic
I think fast drivers who intentionally drive through slower drivers have no class. It's funny to see some of the responses here and how many people will simply "punt" the slower drivers before being patient enough to overtake cleanly. But then again maybe in their mind they are running away from the other cars because they don't have the skill to re-take the lead if they are passed themselves...

Please don't get me wrong, I am not preaching from a high horse or anything but ever since my friend showed me a 1/12 worlds video where I saw the leader make contact with the car that was trying to overtake him actually pull over and wait for his opponents car to be marshalled before resuming the race with him I have adopted the ethic of trying to be as clean as possible and if there is contact to pull over and wait. Let me tell you, I have gained a lot of respect from my fellow racers. In fact the first time it happened, the whole place was clapping... I did, however, end up hitting a board later and loosing the race to him, but I felt better about myself and had people coming over to me to say that things like that just aren't seen enough... Even the race director had something to say about it.

I am not a great driver... not by a long shot! But I feel if you take on a more professional attitude about ho you drive and wait for opportunities it get's noticed, you get more respect from your fellow racers, and it opens more doors when seeking sponsors.

This is a small hobby that we are in and nobody want's to be known as a jerk.
Well said

I always did that. b/c when I was a noob, and tangled with someone else, they waited for me to recover. Now, regardless of the driver and position, if I wreck someone, I will pull over and wait for them to retake their position in front of me.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #88
Tech Addict

May I quote a UK F1 commentator,

'Catching is one thing but overtaking is another'

The same with this situation. Sometimes its easy to catch somebody but if he keeps his line its very hard to pass. They should move over whether its the first or the tenth time. Fact of the matter is all the lapped guy has to do is run slightly deeper into a corner than usual. Its not rocket science! Its all about respect on a racetrack for the other drivers.

If im lapping someone i always try and say thanks unless im locked in a tight battle. But hey thats just me!
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #89
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Why would i spend anytime in the Hospital? I wouldn't visit you if i had to finish off a fight you started!
Old 04-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #90
Tech Master

punting the car in front of you on purpose because he will not take the slow line is what this hobby needs.
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote