R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default HPI sprint 2 sport?

Hey guys. So I have only 1 rc car so far and its an off roader. I would like to try out an on road car since they look so much better to me due to the fact that they are modelled after real cars (the bodies) and they probably break far less than off road cars. Must also be easier to maintain without that dirt getting stuck everywhere! Would the HPI sprint 2 sport make a good, first on road car? I'm not going to be racing, only going to be going to the track at times to just run there for fun. I also plan on putting some drift tires onto the car. My budget is $250 just in case anyone else has a suggestion other than the HPI sprint 2 sport.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's not a bad entry car to TC but it needs some work to drive well. Marv has a thread here that lists his fixes for a number of issues. You may not need to go the level he has for occasional track time. I have a couple of these and I have done some work on them and they run well now.

Just about any entry level one will need some work to make it competitive. Parts still break too if you hit the wall.
nubie-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Okay cool thanks! Seems like this would be a nice car. Do you know if putting a 3200kv brushless setup into it will be too much?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You might also check out the Team Associated TC4 either in a RTR($240) or the club racer($150),comes as chassis only,you add tires ecs/motor body and radio.If your radio can do several models and since you might be looking at a brushless system and drift tires the club racer might be worth looking at.Depending if the area you run outdoors has many small rocks the shaft drive might stand up better.
mudguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The S2 is a decent entry level car.
It's good for casual driving (aka bashing).
It can take a lot of hard driving... depending on what you hit in the process.
Parts are readily available and reasonably priced.

Like nubiewan said, you don't have to do all the fixes or mods to have an S2 that drives well.

But you will have to do more than a few fixes and mods to be competitive at a track in a racing environment.

AND like muguppy said, the S2 will fall victim to small rocks and pebbles = rear belt damage AND once a rock or pebble gets trapped in the rear you can kiss the main shaft pulleys good-bye.

FYI - IMO the belts on an S2 are a PITA to change.

The S2 is RTR out of the box - BUT the charger isn't worth spit and you are well advised to go Lipo.
Don't forget to reprogram the ESC if you go Lipo.
And no, a Sprint 2 Sport ESC is NOT brushless compatible.

My suggestions to you would be to do some more research before buying and don't just jump into a 3200kV system unless you buy a roller kit.

Myron / Darkside aka the BATTMAN has a TC4 (this comes as a roller kit) that he took and did some minor upgrades to for USVAT use - post #2668 - http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...t-2-a-178.html

Whichever way you go - have fun!
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Even if you don't plan on racing it today, go to the track and find out what classes they run, what manufacturers they stock, what most local racers run and so on. Then buy something that at least gets you going in that general direction. Trust me, buying a RTR and then having to replace most of it when you decide you want to give racing a try is much more painful than buying a kit and components. Your wallet will thank me later.

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxMako View Post
Even if you don't plan on racing it today, go to the track and find out what classes they run, what manufacturers they stock, what most local racers run and so on. Then buy something that at least gets you going in that general direction. Trust me, buying a RTR and then having to replace most of it when you decide you want to give racing a try is much more painful than buying a kit and components. Your wallet will thank me later.

+1
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Thanks guys! Sorry about the late reply. So I'm guessing that I should look into something else thats shaft driven since the track would be outdoors. The Team Associated TC4 club racer looks to be nice. Are there any tamiya kits that are up to the task of racing? Unfortunately, going to the track at the moment wouldn't benefit me much since they are running the indoor season, and I won't be racing until the outdoor season.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Tech Addict

For running on the street, pebbles *may* be an issue. But, running on a prepped track pebbles should be VERY few and far between and belt drive should be fine. I've run my Sprint 2 on the street and never had an issue. Maybe you'll damage/break a belt or bend a pulley but it's never happened to me. Belt drive is pretty much the standard now, there are only a few shaft drive cars left on the market.

I'd still go to the track. I bet a lot of the guys that run indoors also run outdoors and can still give you better advice with the local experience than we can give you over the internet.

You can buy whatever you want and if you only ever run it on the street by yourself it really doesn't matter. But, if you think you'll ever want to race, talk to the people you'll be racing with first.

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Okay cool thanks. I guess I will head on down to the track then whenever I go to just do some general track running.