Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed motor selections?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Brushed motor selections?

Hi there. I am looking at upgrading the motor in my drifter. I want to stay brushed as i cant afford to go lipo at the moment and from what I've heard a brush-less motor will drain a nimh battery in mere minutes. So what im asking is....do you racers out there have any suggestions for me as far as motor selection? I would like to spend between $50-100 on the motor itself and then whatever other electronics i need after im sure i can find. Thanks for your input.

-GTRdrifter
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Whoever told you that a brushless motor drains power faster is talking rubbish.

Brushless motors are much more efficient, so for the same motor power a brushless motor will run for longer on your nimhs than a brushed motor will. Stick a high power brushless system in your car and your nimhs will drain fast, but the equivalent brushed motor will drain your batteries even faster. Brushless systems will work fine with your nimhs.

After saying that, if you already have a brushed system then the cheap option is to just upgrade to another brushed motor, and what motor you want will depend on what equipment you already have as the limits of your ESC will limit what motors you can run.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you for responding Here's a link to the car i have http://www.nitrorcx.com/03c806-driftking-sk-green.html I still use all the stock electronics. I tried to find some specs on the ESC but i couldn't find anything helpful...maybe you have some more advice??
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is just one option. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ric-Motor-16x2Its fast and cheap. You probably should gear down to handle it. Any more power than this and your car will probably unravel. I am not dissing your car but the faster you push it, the more stuff breaks. If you dont gear down you will probably overheat this motor.

If you want to go brushless there are many good options, but based on your parameters I would go with a 19t down to maybe a 13t and go to a smaller pinion of the same pitch.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Brushed or Brushless motors don't care about what battery chemistry you use so if you want to use Lipos with your brushed motors then do so as long as your ESC has a low voltage cutoff or use an external one.

Low turn brushed motors suck a lot of juice from the batteries, NiMH, NiCad or Lipo doesn't matter. However, the charge density of Lipos dwarfs that of NiMH and you will get longer run times with the equivalent capacity.

A good 19T motor would work and drop to a smaller pinion. You'll get better wheelspeed and top end isn't required for a drifter.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Adept

Awesome guys! Thanks for all the great input so far! Whoever told me brushless drains nimh obviously had no clue what they were talking about
Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you want to spend between $50 to $100 for just a motor, then it would be better to spend that money on a brushless combo set. Brushless motors are much better for maintenance, just a drop of oil on the bearings and that's it. By looking at the pictures of the car you have i don't think your ESC will be able to hold such motors as mentioned above. Just try to find a brushless combo for less then $100 and you will be better of. Try to search on ebay or webshops for a brushless combo or perhaps here in the for sale/trade section.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

How about something like this?? http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/3402212383.html This is in my local section of craigslist for $90.00