Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gauging Interest??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Gauging Interest??

Hey guys, I am starting a new promotions company called R/C Promotions Inc. In the wake of all the B.S. that is going on with Roar and how disenchanted everyone has become with the nationals, I am attempting to organize a hugh race right here in the center of the universe, New York City. Everyone always says that not enough is done to promote our hobby to the masses, what I have planned will. Not only will it be a major Touring car race, it will also be a large trade show. I am in the process now of getting things setup at the venue. I don't want to say where yet, but it is in the middle of New York City.

I am also in the process of getting ready to pitch to sponsers as major money will be needed to pull this event off. I am planning on having local media on hand of the event. It will be advertised heavily and I am trying to set up a celeberty race. I am also trying to get all the major manufacturers to come and set up booths to promote the hobby to all the spectators at this event. I will also have vendor space avalaible to any hobby shop that wants to setup at the event.

I have alot of great ideas in store for this race and wanted to know your thoughts on it. I am only going to be running stock and modified touring and maybe a T-spec class. We will have full security for the pit area so only racers will be in the pits. There will be a large spectator area. It is looking like it is going to be a Thursday-Sunday event. Thursday would be practice, Friday and Saturday would be qualifing and sunday would be the mains.

I would also like to have products demos and other events going on through out the day. I am shooting for October for this event, but if we hit a bump it may be early next year. I want this to become an annual event that grows every year. Right now I am calling it the Empire State Tourning Car Championship.

Let me have all your opinions here please.

Thanks for the help guys, I will keep you posted to any new developments as they come up.

-Andrew
Old 03-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Suspended

Hotels will be a huge challenge, as we all know anything in midtown Manhattan is $200-$300 a night.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm glad to see people with the energy to help promote our hobby. Good luck, Andrew. If successful, please bring the event to the mid-west. Big racing scene here in Chicago. Lots of LHS that like supporting events and racing crews like Team Hurricane and Xray to represent and put on a good show. You may want to contact the Hurricane guys since they put on a lot of their own mid-west racing series.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by McSmooth
Hotels will be a huge challenge, as we all know anything in midtown Manhattan is $200-$300 a night.
Good point, this is something that I have already considered. I am looking into the possiblity of having the host hotel in New Jersey and having a shuttle service set up for racers and vendors. The venue that I am planning on having the event at is on the west side so a jersey hotel is not out of the question. It would be much cheaper in New Jersey.

-Andrew
Old 03-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by kidDynomite
I'm glad to see people with the energy to help promote our hobby. Good luck, Andrew. If successful, please bring the event to the mid-west. Big racing scene here in Chicago. Lots of LHS that like supporting events and racing crews like Team Hurricane and Xray to represent and put on a good show. You may want to contact the Hurricane guys since they put on a lot of their own mid-west racing series.
Thanks for the suggestion. If this event works out like I hope it will I am planning on a few others next year. I am looking into chicago, atlanta and maybe a few other locations. I will contact the Hurricane guys once all the detail of the event are setup. I would love to hear what that have to say.

-Andrew
Old 03-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Very interesting. I'm glad to see someone with the resources to do something like this making a move. Lets hope this goes well.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Tech Rookie

How many people woule be interested in attending this event as racers?

-Andrew
Old 03-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Roar onroad "asphalt" nationals are being held in october! So maybe mid Januar, no body hold races during January and it would make a great warmup to the snowbirds!

Hey promoter we can get plenty of places here on the beach "south beach" to be exact that we can hold an indoor race with girls in thongs walking by the window on the way to the beach!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would since i have a real good friend that lives in long island
Old 03-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Andrew,
It is great to hear your ideas about more promotion of the sport. You can count on my support.

I would like to suggest you consider holding three events, a West Coast, No Coast (mid-west), and East Coast.
Have a "something" Championship series, with a possible "Triple Crown" winner that wins all three events.

My personal suggestion is "R/C Outlaw Series" that would make it in clear contrast to the existing rule body. I'm an old-time NHRA drag racer, and the IHRA allowed Nitrous, "no-rules" ProMod, and 800ci monster motors in direct contrast to NHRA rules was one of their big draws for both fans and drivers. The Blown vs Nitrous was always a topic of discussion, consider the Brushed vs Brushless in the same way..

Cheers,
Old 03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

After x-mas would be best people will need months to recover from Vegas in Sept. Good luck with your event.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Seems cool!

I'd be at big races if I didn't have to pay for rooming. Try to get some space for the racers to "camp" in
Old 03-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not trying to rain on your parade but look at the races

Vegas-Sept
Roar Asphalt-Oct
Cleveland -Nov
Novak Race (WI) - Jan
Snowbirds -Feb
Roar Carpet-Mar

December is the holiday season and time is hard to come by.

Don't get me wrong, a big race at a trade show is just what we need to get exposure. Timing is key however.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by R/C Promotions
Thanks for the suggestion. If this event works out like I hope it will I am planning on a few others next year. I am looking into chicago, atlanta and maybe a few other locations. I will contact the Hurricane guys once all the detail of the event are setup. I would love to hear what that have to say.

-Andrew
If you are looking to get one in Chicago you should talk to the people that put on the Ihobby Expo and see if you can get room to hold a race at the same time as the convention. This would be a great time to hold a race with most of the pros already in the area for the hobby expo. The exposure that you could get at a race like that would be huge. There are plenty of Hotels in the area of the Convention Center and its right by O'Hare Airport so people who fly in wont have far to go.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

i think your idea is awsome the only thing i would suggest in promoting the hobby instead of having a tspec class have t specs on hand for anyone to race /people who have no idea about or sport kids ext. propley could get trinity to donate them too you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.