R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default xxxs sport or tc4 rtr worth it?

is a xxxs sport or tc4 rtr worth it? what I mean by worth it is how much maintinence i need to keep it running. I heard the the sport could run on carpet, which is good. But, i heard the xxxs series had some parts that break after some runs. please, DONT tell me to get a jrsx, which is way too expenisive. I would want a TC that is rtr, because i don t have any radios except for an xp2, which stinks. also, $300 or less would be fine.

note:this wont be for tournament racing, so it doesnt have to be the best
xxxs graphite+! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

They are both very good cars for any surface. The shaft drive may be a little less maintenance than the Losi belt drive however. Get which ever one you like the best and/or that your LHS supports.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Belt drives have way less...

parts when a rebuild is required. It's much easier to work on. Only thing I don't like about the XXX-S is the droop screws and the molded graphite parts. It is so hard that it wears out on carpet and requires a new chassis. They need to make an insert for around the bearings that is softer and can be replaced.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pezz
Default Re: Belt drives have way less...

Quote:
Originally posted by RCknight
parts when a rebuild is required. It's much easier to work on. Only thing I don't like about the XXX-S is the droop screws and the molded graphite parts. It is so hard that it wears out on carpet and requires a new chassis. They need to make an insert for around the bearings that is softer and can be replaced.
RCknight is correct about the drivetrain, I bought the xxx-s rtr for my son and it is holding up well. If you buy the heavy duty bumper you will be even better off. Plus when you want to upgrade, all the xxx-s g+ parts fit right on. hth
Pezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
Tech Master

the xxx-s rtr comes with great electronics. then just buy the graphite upgrade. The xxx-s is a strong car.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
Tech Addict

I would go with the car your LHS has parts support for. If they happen to stock parts for both then look at the features.
Yes the Losi has better electronics. But I disagree with the fact that some say the xxxs is easier to work on then the TC4 I have owned and raced a xxxsg+ and currently have a TC4 and TC3 and did not find one easier or harder to work on then the other.
Both cars are fully upgradable the xxxs to the xxxsg+ and the TC4 to factory team specs.
As far as maintenance they both are very close other then the xxxs having a belt that you have to check occasionaly, they both have diffs to maintain they both would require motor maintenance . And other then just keeping the chassis clean thats about it on both cars.
Now the area tht I believe seperates them is performance. In my opinion when it comes to the track the TC4 outperforms the xxxs.

Last edited by Jmccormick; 03-31-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by axel
the xxx-s rtr comes with great electronics. then just buy the graphite upgrade. The xxx-s is a strong car.
I second that. Never had anything broken when I raced it. Had some pretty nasty crashes, but it always come out in one piece. My TC3 broke 2 front arms and a body post, even though it only got less than half the track time of the Losi. I had to sell both because of financial issues, but I will get back into it this fall.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:41 PM   #8
Tech Master

I run an XRay and if someone handed me a TC4 I'd bet I can hand it back by the end of a month just as well setup as my XRay

The XXX-S, I'm not so sure about. The XXX-S is becoming a more dated design and is a tank (in a good and a bad sense) compared to todays cars

Bashing = XXX-S
Racing = TC4
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:52 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I think the XXX-S is one of the

easiest cars to drive out of the box. A smooth strait shooter. Its great with a brushless system. My 2-cents.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:03 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich
Default Re: Belt drives have way less...

Quote:
Originally posted by RCknight
This is not a true statement! Having owned both cars, I can say the maintaining the drivetrain of the TC3/TC4 will be much easier and the parts count are about the same. The TC3/4 will be easier to maintain because there are no belts to strech and you do not have to worry about that weird belt tesioner. In fact, in the rare event that a drive shaft will have to be replaced (in three years of racing my TC3, I never one had to replace the driveshaft...I wish I was so lucky with my belt drive cars...carring around exra belts always checking the tension and the wear) it will take all of 2 minutes. Ever try changing a belt on a XXX-S? While not difficult, it is much more time consuming.

I am not arguing which car is better or which car has a better drivetrain. My argument is that the drivetrain of a TC4 is much easier to maintain than that of a XXX-S.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:36 AM   #11
Tech Adept

One other factor is that The TC3/4 are super fast, but not the easiest to drive. The Losi can with minor adjustments be REALLY easy to drive, just not as fast.
If you are new to racing get the XXX-S. If you have a more experience go with the TC4.
Erlend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

thanks for the help
scince i know im going to bash it up, xxxs is the one for me
xxxs graphite+! is offline   Reply With Quote