R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Battery Technology< when is enough,,enough

Just got my latest RC Car Action and couldn't help but notice the great big full page ad on the back cover of the new Epic "3800" batteries.

WOW,,,,3800's. When I first started racing way back,,,1200's were it.

When I got back into R/C Car Racing last year, 3000's and 3300's were it with 3600's just stepping in to the picture.

I'm all for better batteries, more power and longer run times, but I have to ask:

When is enough, too much?

Race lengths are only 6 minutes with the exception of 1/12th scale, and most everyone already can run 8-12 minutes now. 7-9 turn motors that wil run 6-9 minutes.

When is enough, enough.

Just a question.
blownawayig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

You're never going to stop technology advances,in order for a company to survive nowadays it's innovate or die.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What you have to remember, especially in modified running 7-9 turn motors, you only get that good long runtime for a dozen runs or so. Stock and 19 turns don't abuse batteries that bad. But modifieds do.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Right, I've seen it at the Novak race before(like at last years when they could run any wind they wanted in mod again), we saw a number of factory mod guys dumping right at or very near the end of a race, & that's with good 3300's. So it's good that they're still pushing the technology forward, because there'll almost always be new motors come along that'll be able to make full use of that extra capacity. After all, just look at how stock motors have evolved since I got started(in 1989), back then you couldn't get much out of one, so naturally you could run a long time on a charge. But if you tried using something like 1700's or 2000's of a few years ago with today's best stocks, you'd either dump or have to gear so you run so slow you'll be left behind. I could even notice the performance difference when the first 3300's came out, they didn't have any edge over 2400 NiCd's in the early part of a race, but by the end, they still had MUCH more punch left in them, enough so that they simply didn't slow down in stock or 19 turn classes(while 2400's would drop off closer to the end & would be at a disadvantage). But for stock & 19 turn today, it is true that we have all the capacity we need, but if a cell comes along with better voltage &/or lower internal resistance, that'll still be worth our time & money....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Right, I've seen it at the Novak race before(like at last years when they could run any wind they wanted in mod again), we saw a number of factory mod guys dumping right at or very near the end of a race, & that's with good 3300's. So it's good that they're still pushing the technology forward, because there'll almost always be new motors come along that'll be able to make full use of that extra capacity. After all, just look at how stock motors have evolved since I got started(in 1989), back then you couldn't get much out of one, so naturally you could run a long time on a charge. But if you tried using something like 1700's or 2000's of a few years ago with today's best stocks, you'd either dump or have to gear so you run so slow you'll be left behind. I could even notice the performance difference when the first 3300's came out, they didn't have any edge over 2400 NiCd's in the early part of a race, but by the end, they still had MUCH more punch left in them, enough so that they simply didn't slow down in stock or 19 turn classes(while 2400's would drop off closer to the end & would be at a disadvantage). But for stock & 19 turn today, it is true that we have all the capacity we need, but if a cell comes along with better voltage &/or lower internal resistance, that'll still be worth our time & money....

Go Pokes!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think it is good that battery manafacturers are producing higher capacity cells. I think we will see large capacity increases in years to come-its all good. i think it will get to a point where the cells will just get to the point where they will get too large and heavy tho.

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Oops, sorry for the double post, didn't think it went through the first time I tried....

Go Pokes!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
Tech Adept

If you haven't already be let in on the secret... with the capacity of standard sub-c cells growing so large, you might notice that they have 2/3 size sub-C cells with 2200mA capacity, which weigh 2/3rd as much as full sub-C cells. All the carbon fiber and mini esc's will not reduce your weight as much as 2/3 sized batteries!
Check them out. Remember to put a Nimble Motorsports sticker on the car.
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Battery technology is driven by many industries other than R/C. Lots of them have already gone with LiPo, which is leaps and bounds ahead of NiMh in many aspects.

In most applications that use rechargeable cells, you want them to last as long as possible, instead of as hard as possible for a finite amount of time (5-8 minutes in our case). So, it makes perfect sense for them to get as much life out of them as possible. I mean, the whole point of a cell is to provide stored energy, so presumably you'd want it to perform its core function the best that it can.

Battery technology will always improve. When the difference between cells has no impact on the performance of R/C cars is when it's become "too much." Actually, in my mind, that's when it'll be just enough, since it'll remove one of the very small performance advantages that people can gain through better gear rather than better skill.

It seems like electric is becoming more and more like nitro with new technology.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

get back to me when ROAR approves the 8000 mah lithium polymer batteries i bash with
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:16 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Just wait until everybody is running lipos and brushless. Run nitro and elec all together. Electric guys I'm betting will love the long mains just as much as the nitro guys.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:02 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Default Battery Technology

I'm a believer and lover of technology, so don't get me wrong. What I question is that it seems to be getting to the battery of the week syndrome.

And it's evident that the LiPo technology is not more than a year away, for mainstream use.

I realize that the battery industry is not just primary to the R/C industry, but I think there should be a limit at some point for R/C racing. I also realize that not all of the newer high capacities are ROAR or IFMAR approved, but obviously they will be. And will be or are being used at the club level. And that makes my recently purchased 3300's and 3600's already behind.

And with the sooner than later arrival of the LiPo batteries, are the current crop of next generation cars, ie: Jrxs, Yok BD, FK05 and others designed to utilize them. I see the Jrxs being the least effected with the bulk of the weight up the center line,,,however it will still effect the roll with the weight of radio gear outside of the centerline.
blownawayig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:13 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by 403forbidden
get back to me when ROAR approves the 8000 mah lithium polymer batteries i bash with
Where can one get Lipo batteries?
I want to check out what everybody is talking about.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:51 PM   #14
Tech Master

lipo batteries are old news, only a few people uses it due to safety issues. races dont allow it due to safety issues. if you wanna go fast, get a modified motor. i cant wait too see a lipo powered car getting t-boned and catch on fire.
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:06 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It's the runtimes that are so beneficial. A guy in n. carolina says they are running 20 min mains with elec nitro combined. That would be a ball!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote