R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2005, 11:34 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
Although having this in NYC seems like a good idea, it has its faults...

I have no idea if you are an RC racer yourself, but look at what most of us bring to races.... We carry a lot of equipment... Having the race in NYC; Jacob Javits center, I'm assuming, is not a prime location... The racer need to be able to get their stuff to the track, there's no way you're going to be able to pull up a car, unload and park it... Not happening.... then there's those who will come from the surrounding area's serviced by the LIRR, Metro-North and NJ Transit... Getting you'r stuff onto a RR car and from Penn station to JJ center would be a nightmare.... You could attempt to carpool it, spend $30 plus to park in a garage.... The NYC Brownies will ticket the shit out of your car in you're on the street....

You want to do the NY Metro area.... Pick another area.... Nassau Coliseum, The Meadowlands.... Anywhere....
How about NOT assuming where he's planning on hosting this event. Speak on WHAT you DO know and be positive and helpful.... GEESH - JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:32 AM   #32
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
How about NOT assuming where he's planning on hosting this event. Speak on WHAT you DO know and be positive and helpful.... GEESH - JB
It's either the Jacob Javits Center or Madison Square Garden.... I'm a retired NYC employee and I've lived in Manhattan, I know it very well.... If you know NYC and read the post you can pretty much figure out it's the JJ Center.... I did make a positive and helpful comment... If you want the NYC metro area pick one of the venues on the outskirts of the city....
Old 04-01-2005, 05:46 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

If you can get a shuttle from Jersey it sounds good to me. That is gonna be key, I hate NY, but if I can stay in Jersey and get dropped right off at the venue I'm up for it. Plus my wife would want to come for sure!

Of course she might spend more shopping in NY then I've ever spent on RCs
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:10 AM   #34
Tech Rookie

Quote:
It's either the Jacob Javits Center or Madison Square Garden.... I'm a retired NYC employee and I've lived in Manhattan, I know it very well.... If you know NYC and read the post you can pretty much figure out it's the JJ Center.... I did make a positive and helpful comment... If you want the NYC metro area pick one of the venues on the outskirts of the city....
What you said are all good points. I am still working on the venue so I dont want to say where it is yet. I have considered the problem of bring all the gear to the track. I have to ways to solve this.

1. Shuttle service from the hotel. You can bring everything with you on the shuttle. I will drop you off at the location and pick you up at the end of the right out front.

2. I am planning on having security in the pit are. Leave all you heavy gear at the track and just bring home your car and basic tools to work on the car. There is no need to bring everything back and forth with you.

Let me just clear up the whole ROAR debate going. I am doing my best to plan this event during a time when there is no other major event going, ROAR or not. I do not care for the way ROAR is being run right now so my concern is not on them. I am looking for the first quarter of next year, maybe febuary. We'll see what happens.

And to answer your question, I am racer and have been for about 10 years, so I know what everyone brings to the track.

Keep the comments coming guys.

-Andrew
R/C Promotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:22 AM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin K
If you are looking to get one in Chicago you should talk to the people that put on the Ihobby Expo and see if you can get room to hold a race at the same time as the convention. This would be a great time to hold a race with most of the pros already in the area for the hobby expo. The exposure that you could get at a race like that would be huge. There are plenty of Hotels in the area of the Convention Center and its right by O'Hare Airport so people who fly in wont have far to go.
Kevs got a good point. The Convention Center has tons of extra room, tons. It's usually blocked off but can easily fit a 140x50 track (depending on how much carpet you can lay down) and about 200+ppl pit area. Every mag, print and online, reports this shows content, so lots of exposure. You may need to get Spektrum involved since I know vendor booths will be on every other frequency.

It's a good idea. People who've never seen a race can witness how fast, serious and fun this hobby can really be.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
1. Shuttle service from the hotel. You can bring everything with you on the shuttle. I will drop you off at the location and pick you up at the end of the right out front.
That's great for the out-of-towners.... I'm not going to rent a hotel when I live 30 miles from NYC.....

To me it's just the logistics of trying to haul your stuff into NYC....

Good luck getting this accomplished... We'll all figure out how to get our stuff there if it happens....
Old 04-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #37
Tech Rookie

Quote:
That's great for the out-of-towners.... I'm not going to rent a hotel when I live 30 miles from NYC.....

To me it's just the logistics of trying to haul your stuff into NYC....

Good luck getting this accomplished... We'll all figure out how to get our stuff there if it happens....
you didnt responde to the second thing I said about leaving the bulk of you equiptment there for the duration of the event. i understand it will be pain to bring it in, but it would only be the first day. After that, all your stuff will there until the end of the event. Hope this wont stop you from coming to the event.

-Andrew
R/C Promotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
We'll all figure out how to get our stuff there if it happens....