Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Who Would Like To See 1/12 Scale Bodies On WGT 1/10 Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A good example of race car realism is F1. Tamiya came out with some very realistic body / livery and there has been a huge uptick in F1 racing not to mention other racers turned graphic designer to offer the F1 community multiple livery schemes (particular BP Shadow here on RCtech). Its fun watching 'almost' scale RC cars racing instead of flamed or paint gooped (early 90s) cars going around the track.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Four years ago you had more choices of WGT bodies. Today there's only two or three. So what happened? Demand fell off and so did WGT racing.

Maybe it will come back maybe not. However, TC is making a come back in my area.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
There are some GTP/group C bodies in 200mm scale being used overhere.

Mix Porsche 962

MIX Nissan

If people paint a body ugly it will look ugly. Back in the day those 235mm bodies were painted with flames and other color schemes that masked any shape of the body that had nothing to do with the cars they resembled. Most still paint those kind of styles today with the TC bodies. In my opinion those pro10 bodies look very nice on the track with a propper paint scheme.
That's right! They look great on a 200mm pancar chassis. We also use these in our Pro10 class on tighter/smaller tracks.

I do agree, there should be some more choices in the WGT bodies. Now there is the Protoform Sophia and the Parma DB9. There used to be a Corvette from Protoform but that one is gone.

I still think that the 200mm GTP bodies look great and I will use the RC10R5.1 on the tighter tracks next year also...
pphaneuf likes this.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Back in the early to mid 90's there was some very realistic 235mm pan car GTP bodies...it is too bad we don't see that so much any more. As for WGT I really think DTP bodies would look killer so long as the wing is not molded into the body. Andy's made and PTI makes some really nice Porsche 956/962 bodies...I'd really love to see one of them make a Corvette DTP. Yes McAllister made a Corvette DTP body...but something just doesn't look right with it.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The economy dictates what a company will make. Any new class (WGT sort of new) in this economy the question is- Do I make a new body that will take away sales of the other body they make and still sell the same amount of bodies. And of course everyone will jump to the new body just because it's new and nobody will buy the old body.
I know of several companies that said they would produce a new WGT body.They'll come out whenever.
back in the old 1/12th days you had 100's of bodies to choose from . But what did everyone run- TOJ. When 1/10th pan cars came out the first body shown on the car was the TOJ. Despite many bodies to choose from only one or two will be raced. I do have a Porsche GT1 new from Protoform in the garage but we don't run those bodies. Maybe when things turn around we'll get more bodies to run.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I was gonna post the same thing once I choked back the bile that rose in my throat after seeing this idea posted. Almost as ridiculous as "Let's run rubber tires on our 12th scale cars"
Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

GTP/Grp. C cars were the most beautiful race cars EVER designed. The old AE Nissans, Andy's Mercedes, HPI XJR-14, McAllister Toyota, Jag and Nissan, all looked GORGEOUS, if painted in a "realistic" sort of scheme. I distinctly remember Neal Everhart bringing a Miller High Life Porsche to enter in Concours at the Indoor Champs one year. Full detail, stellar interior. It was a far more realistic rendition of an actual race car than any VTA car I've ever seen.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
I was gonna post the same thing once I choked back the bile that rose in my throat after seeing this idea posted. Almost as ridiculous as "Let's run rubber tires on our 12th scale cars"
Not to mention it has been tried and never caught on. There is a current 1/12th chassis out that runs the Mini bodies but next to no one runs them. As for rubber tires...I love the way they look on F1...but I really don't like the way they handle.

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
GTP/Grp. C cars were the most beautiful race cars EVER designed. The old AE Nissans, Andy's Mercedes, HPI XJR-14, McAllister Toyota, Jag and Nissan, all looked GORGEOUS, if painted in a "realistic" sort of scheme. I distinctly remember Neal Everhart bringing a Miller High Life Porsche to enter in Concours at the Indoor Champs one year. Full detail, stellar interior. It was a far more realistic rendition of an actual race car than any VTA car I've ever seen.
+100000000000000

Can't forget the Andy's short tail Porsche 962. That was a work of art! Also the Pro-Line Bud Lite Jag and the Associated Toyota.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Can't forget the Andy's short tail Porsche 962. That was a work of art! Also the Pro-Line Bud Lite Jag and the Associated Toyota.
I liked the long-tail Andy's Porsche too, he did a nice job sculpting the rear side dams to look sort of like the old Joest 962's they ran on the longer of the european circuits.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah the long tail was nice too but I would have preferred a separate wing element between the fins which is why I liked the short tail so much. Plus I used to make a graphite wing mount that zip tied to the rear pod and made the short tail look even better
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Maybe the reason why WGT is not hot right now is the bodies, so why not make a wedge style body? If it sparks intrest in WGT what would be the problem in that?

So we let a class die to close mindedness or we give it a boost and bring it up to 1/12 scale level. You don't have to buy it
pphaneuf likes this.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Suits me fine if that happens!!! I like the GTP bodies much more than the WGT ones anyway...
pphaneuf likes this.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gijoe64
Maybe the reason why WGT is not hot right now is the bodies, so why not make a wedge style body? If it sparks intrest in WGT what would be the problem in that?

So we let a class die to close mindedness or we give it a boost and bring it up to 1/12 scale level. You don't have to buy it
You are missing the point, world GT is meant to be based on GT cars, grand touring, not GTP or prototype cars.

The fact is it is easier to make a wedge bodyshell than it is a realistic looking WGT shell.

The whole point of this class is pan cars that have realistic looking GT car shells. I would hate for it to go the way of the door stop. Thats what 12th or pro10 is for.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A few of these bodies would be cool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/2BTE2sL...FACCB23854&amp
Old 11-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Are the rules for WGT in the States still 1 cell? This is probably part of the problem if they are. When you start using different batteries, it instantly makes it harder to get into a class.

I really do agree though, realistic bodies are the best by far and there has to be some way of controling them like a minimum cockpit height rule and a maximum wing height. Other idea is just have a list of approved bodies.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.