Wiki Posts
Search

13,5 Blinky TC help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default 13,5 Blinky TC help!!!

Hello!

Im totally new to "blinky" class, as we run 17.5 Boosted here in sweden. I wanna do a comparison between the two classes as far as driveability and ofcourse laptimes.

Im currently running a Xray T4 with Hobbywing Extremestock and a Novak Ballistic 13.5
Anyone have a good starting point for FDR and endbell timing?
Running at a small technical indoor carpet track, with about 20meters of straigth.

I dont want any suggestions regarding fastet ESC/Motor combo, as this is just a test! Only FDR and Endbell timing is what im intrested in!

Best regards
Andreas G
Sweden
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

THe guys at my local club run 13.5 blinky geared around 4.5fdr
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

4.5 seems a little high to me for a small track. I would start between 6:1 and 5.5:1.

I don't know the motor, but endbell timing is a balance between punch, speed and heat, don't just put it on maximum, start at the factory position and change it 5 degrees (or less) at a time.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

4.34 FDR with 40° timing on a Reedy with a 96ft long track seems to work well for me.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by samnelso
4.34 FDR with 40° timing on a Reedy with a 96ft long track seems to work well for me.

Well i wanted endbell timing for Novak, not Reedy!!!

96ft, how longs is that in meters???
Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe I shoulda just said this:

4.34 FDR with 40° timing on a 29m long track is the best setup ever! You can't go wrong.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run a Novak gtb ballistic 13.5t combo at 4.1666FDR .Zero heat issues and I run them down on the straight: two car length gain minimum....ahahah in a shaft drive fttc4 though. I don't think you can get away with it in a belt drive.....
Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

I think mid/high 4's will be a fine starting point.

I ran 13.5 blinky foam last weekend at a 4.04. At one point I geared up two teeth on the pinion and didn't go any faster so I reverted. Taking into consideration the rollout difference, 4.04 at my foam dia. would've been close to 4.60 on rubber.

90ft (27.4 meter) straight.
D3.5 +25deg
135*F
Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

What do u, who run blinky class think of it? Is it better/easier to handle the settings than with Boosted.
Why im asking is that we Run 17.5 Boosted in our cup in sweden and i wanna present an easier way to race than with the boosted escīs (like the ETS stock class)
My opinion is that boosted isnīt so good for "beginners", or am i wrong?

Then im gonna start at 5.15:1 and work from there, and set the endbell timing at "0" as a start!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Tech Regular

Blinky you drive (feel) the car through your thumbs, boosted the speedo does some of the work, not always when you want it to.

Blinky gear ratios are very important, get it wrong and you will be either very slow or the motor will get very hot. Not all motors are the same.

Boosted takes some time to understand the boost and turbo setting, start with low setting and as your driving skills improves crank on more timing.

Personally I like the feel of blinky and the speed of boost so I split the differance and race mod

Bb
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I run a Novak gtb ballistic 13.5t combo at 4.1666FDR .Zero heat issues and I run them down on the straight: two car length gain minimum....ahahah in a shaft drive fttc4 though. I don't think you can get away with it in a belt drive.....
hmmm, I have been racing for 25 years, had gear, chain, shaft and belt drive. Shaft drive is more effiecent (slightly) than belt but the power comes in more abruptly and traction can break away quicker.

IMO as cars go, the TC4 is not really that good, the TC3 was loads better, both are OK at club level but niether would be able to compete at the very top level.

Bb
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gillblade
What do u, who run blinky class think of it? Is it better/easier to handle the settings than with Boosted.
Why im asking is that we Run 17.5 Boosted in our cup in sweden and i wanna present an easier way to race than with the boosted escīs (like the ETS stock class)
My opinion is that boosted isnīt so good for "beginners", or am i wrong?

Then im gonna start at 5.15:1 and work from there, and set the endbell timing at "0" as a start!
I confess I don't run the blinky class, I run 13.5 boosted, the split between blinky and boosted at my Friday night club is roughly 50/50.

After the blinky class was introduced earlier this year, it was pointed out by guys who run there constantly that some of the drivers were crashing a lot less and taking better lines.
Depending on the layout they are usually 0.5-0.8s per lap slower which doesn't sound like much, but I think that the extra drivability of the blinky class has made things easier, on the cars and drivers.

I agree that it's certainly better for new drivers to start in a slower blinky class, easier to control and crash are slower.

Skiddins
Old 11-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

4.166 FDR to 4.5fdr seems good in all tc's , even in a Reedy Race winning FTTC4..... Was that not the top level??? Those who can't wheel always bash their earlier rides !
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I confess I don't run the blinky class, I run 13.5 boosted, the split between blinky and boosted at my Friday night club is roughly 50/50.

After the blinky class was introduced earlier this year, it was pointed out by guys who run there constantly that some of the drivers were crashing a lot less and taking better lines.
Depending on the layout they are usually 0.5-0.8s per lap slower which doesn't sound like much, but I think that the extra drivability of the blinky class has made things easier, on the cars and drivers.

I agree that it's certainly better for new drivers to start in a slower blinky class, easier to control and crash are slower.

Skiddins
Boosted is faster, and be definition makes it lesser beginner friendly and leads to more crashes. That being said, it also leads to much more even racing, as boost can compensate for less then optimal batteries and motors. I am still beyond confused that we can expect a beginner to understand roll center, anti-squat, chassis flex based on carbon fiber weave, and fluid dynamics with shock pistons, but think they are too dumb to figure out a couple sliders for boost settings.

Blinky is more like spec, which means it is a money based class (money spent = faster car), but it is slower and more friendly due to it being slower. Boosted is more like mod, where the power is there and the limit is how much you can handle. Bigger crashes, but there are no battery/motor/esc wars.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
4.166 FDR to 4.5fdr seems good in all tc's , even in a Reedy Race winning FTTC4..... Was that not the top level??? Those who can't wheel always bash their earlier rides !
Please for the love of everything holy, stop posting. Someone might read your terribad advice and actually think it is true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.