Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dischargers and brushes

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Default Dischargers and brushes

I am now looking for a disharger as the lrp pulsar 2 only has 10amp discharge and was wonding if this integy discharger would work with 4 cell batteries?integy discharger
Would I also need an equilizer tray to get the most performance out of my cells also? Will this work with 4 cells also?integy equalizer tray
one last question, what part of the brush is considered the leading, or trailing edge, when installed on the motor? this has confused me for a while and from the magazines that i have read with articles about brush modification, i have never exactly figured out what part is what.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

i was told that the absolute zero works with 4 cells. the only thing about it is, it DS the packs (i buy my own packs thank you very much).
Old 03-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

whats DS? the leading edge is the "front" part of the brush. when the comm spins one way, so the other side. yea i guess its kinda hard to explain.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

DS= dead short
As for your second question, imagine there is something sticking out of the comm. Now, when the comm spins, where does the little thing sticking out hit first? That's the leading edge, and the other is the trailing edge.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Both dischargers work great with 4 cells.Another good discharge tray is the Novak smart tray.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

if i bought the discharger, would i need to also buy the equalizer? Or would the discharger be suitable enough?
Old 03-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

No you can just buy one or the other.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

alright. I was just wondering becasue i have heard that people buy both a discharger and an equalizer tray and was wondering if both were needed to keep betteries in a competition state. Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

i only wish the zero thirty came with .09v cutoff. that would be the perfect discharger equalizer for me. or the novak smart tray with 30 amp discharge rate.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To all those who are afraid to take your cells below .09V you shouldn't be. The new dischargers out now all have the safty feature that will not allow cell reversal whihc was the only concern for taking your cells past the .09V point. I use the zero 30 after I run a pack then I let it take it all the way down to what ever....then when I finally relize I still have it on the tray I remove then put in my storage container till next race day. Now here is where the other trays come in handy.
I use four of these,
http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...05105495809.a7
I put all my race day packs on those the night before a race day. Which takes the packs down to 0.00 but holds them there as we all know once you remove a pack from a tray the voltage rises right back up. Once i get to the track and get all set up I will take the first pack off the tray 55 minutes before the start of my heat and charge it @ 6amps and about twenty minutes after that I put the next pack on my other charger @ 6 amps....
I can only tell you one thing this practice is for stock or 19T as it will reduce run time very slightly after many cycles. if you run Mod there is a whole different practice. Here is a link to where I found out about how to do what I just explained.
http://www.promatchracing.com/batteryins.htm
Plus there cells are all I use....I have never had a problem with the amount of power I have just poor driving skill. Also they sell there best packs to regular guys they are having a sale right now on 1.17+ only $118 for three packs or $43 for one pack. Just thought I would help those in need of power.
Stephen <><
Hope I helped.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
I have the Novak Smart Tray and there's one thing that bothers me about it. I like the fact that it discharges individual cells from .9 - .1v (it also DS's), but it does not HOLD THE VOLTAGES THERE . That is what a discharge/equalize tray is suppose to do. It does the cells a sort of injustice when it turns off and the voltages climb back up. To get the most out of your packs, you have to get the max. into to them. The way the NST does things is not truly 'equalizing'. The best discharge/ equalizing tray I have is my ICS tray that works in conjuction with my Pro-Trak. A not too far 2nd is my three Integy Zero 6s trays. These are stackable and they work extremely well.
- JB

Last edited by JayBee; 03-27-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

ICS close-up...

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Pro-Trak w/ ICS...

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
To all those who are afraid to take your cells below .09V you shouldn't be. The new dischargers out now all have the safty feature that will not allow cell reversal whihc was the only concern for taking your cells past the .09V point. I use the zero 30 after I run a pack then I let it take it all the way down to what ever....then when I finally relize I still have it on the tray I remove then put in my storage container till next race day. Now here is where the other trays come in handy.
I use four of these,
http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...05105495809.a7
I put all my race day packs on those the night before a race day. Which takes the packs down to 0.00 but holds them there as we all know once you remove a pack from a tray the voltage rises right back up. Once i get to the track and get all set up I will take the first pack off the tray 55 minutes before the start of my heat and charge it @ 6amps and about twenty minutes after that I put the next pack on my other charger @ 6 amps....
I can only tell you one thing this practice is for stock or 19T as it will reduce run time very slightly after many cycles. if you run Mod there is a whole different practice. Here is a link to where I found out about how to do what I just explained.
http://www.promatchracing.com/batteryins.htm
Plus there cells are all I use....I have never had a problem with the amount of power I have just poor driving skill. Also they sell there best packs to regular guys they are having a sale right now on 1.17+ only $118 for three packs or $43 for one pack. Just thought I would help those in need of power.
Stephen <><
Hope I helped.
what is the most desirable amp for discharging? on the integy discharger in my first post it discharges at 30 amps, but the one that Mr. Shookie mentioned discharges at 6 amps. What is considered better?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Switch Blade
what is the most desirable amp for discharging? on the integy discharger in my first post it discharges at 30 amps, but the one that Mr. Shookie mentioned discharges at 6 amps. What is considered better?
I actually use the Itegy Zero 30 discharger than I put batts on the 6 amp the night before a race.....O won't discharge a pack on the 6amp one, even though it is 6 amps per cell.
Get teh Zero 30 you will love it.
Stephen <><