R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-24-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
cjs
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to cjs
Help With Losi Street Weapon

I just received a Street Weapon in a trade and it is unused. I was just wondering, since there are better cars available, how do I keep my car competitive? I am just a sport racer though, I love the hobby, but not enough cash for an all out race car. So I guess my question should be, how do I make this car fast? I have a 11 turn double in it right now, but it seems rather slow. What gearing to you guys suggest? I have no idea what the spur gear is, but it is the stock one. Please give me any help that you can.

Thanks.
-Chris
[email protected]
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 02:51 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Here's the recommended initial gearing for common motors using the stock 78 tooth spur(48 pitch) for the street weapon.

Motor----- pinion
24* Stock----- 26,27
36* Stock ----- 24,25
7 turn modified ----- 16
8 turn modified ----- 17
9 turn modified ----- 18
10 turn modified ----- 19
11 turn modified ----- 20
12 turn modified ----- 21
13 turn modified ----- 22,23
14 turn modified ----- 23,24
15 turn modified ----- 25
16 turn modified ----- 26
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:43 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If I remember correctly, we always ran the gearing 7 over the wind of the motor when using a modified. I can't remember what we ran the stock gearing at.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:42 AM   #4
cjs
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to cjs

Thank you very much for the help guys.
-Chris
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 04:33 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No problem!!!!!
Old 07-26-2002, 09:04 AM   #6
Tech Adept

The Street Weapon can still be a very competitive car. Granted, out of the box it has some things that hold it back as compared to the newer, more efficient single belt designs like the XXXs and the solid shaft design of the TC3, but it's a very durable car and can be quite fast and handle very well. I still use a Street Weapon in our "IROC"-style Beetle Cup Spec Class (fixed gear ratio, handout motor, open chassis.)

The single best thing you can do to improve the car - if you can still find one - is to get the Trinity Cyrul Circuit Killer kit. It includes replacement shock towers, shortened front shocks, and other killer hopups that really improve the car's weight, balance, and handling. Also, anything you can do to reduce rotating mass (lightened outdrives, aluminum CVD's) will definitely improve the car. If you can get the graphite milled chassis, it will definitely shave a good bit of weight as well as lower the CG.

Lastly, I'd recommend that - before you buy a lot of stuff, get the MIP kit to adapt the wheels to use "standard" sized hexes. It makes wheel selection and availability a lot easier. If you didn't know, Losi decided to design the car with "downsized" hex nuts for the wheels, and they thereby don't fit every other company's wheels. I guess their line of reasoning was that people would be forced to buy their wheels, but IMHO it's just a pain.

It's a great starter car (an IWC was my first car last year when I got into the hobby) and though it has its share of quirks (like difficulty in accessing the diffs for service) it's still a very cool car.

Enjoy!

SixAndEightStringer

sixandeightstringer footfall tigeryan
sixandeightstri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 07:32 AM   #7
Tech Regular

you should take out the belts and soak them in wd40. then hang them up with a weight at the bottom. after this, if you like you can very carefully make the belts thinner with an exacto. all of this will make the car more efficient. after that the street weapon handles quite well and can now be competitive with newer cars. these tips are more for the stock racer though because you need your driveline to be as efficient as possible and the motor will not put as big a strain on the thinner belts as a mod.
ausracer is offline   Reply With Quote