R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   The best RC Lap Counting System (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/673276-best-rc-lap-counting-system.html)

1rccarracer1 10-26-2012 03:08 PM

The best RC Lap Counting System

I would like to get a consensus on the best RC lap counting system out there. I've used AMB and have seen videos on ILap. But I'd like a system that announces fastest lap, lead car number, lap times, etc... Anyone know of a system like this?

InspGadgt 10-26-2012 03:26 PM

AMB is the best hardware. RC Scoring Pro is what most of the big races use for the software. But it is somewhat limited in what the computer itself actually announces. Alycat has a lot more announcing options but is used less at big races.

Evoracer 10-26-2012 04:24 PM

You're not talking about the Lap Timing system, you're talking about the software.
Personally, AMB is by far the most widely used and it probably has the least drawbacks. My club uses I-Lap and it works great for about 1/6 of the cost of an AMB.
RC Scoring Pro is likely to be the best software package that would offer what you seek.

1rccarracer1 10-26-2012 05:04 PM

I thought the hardware was integrated with the software. That's good to know. Thanks! This is what I was looking for. Any more posts would be welcomed.

td-civ 10-26-2012 09:16 PM

i own amb system and run rc scoring pro at my track

the amb decoder is the only way to go

now there are 2 good software jlaps and rc scoring pro

jlap is a great software but i have not had much time with it so i cant say much on it

rc scoring pro is not hard to work with but i use to run it on windows vista and windows 7 and it didnt like it as it would crash on me

but now i run it on windows XP and it has been way better

pete139 10-26-2012 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Evoracer (Post 11372365)
You're not talking about the Lap Timing system, you're talking about the software.
Personally, AMB is by far the most widely used and it probably has the least drawbacks. My club uses I-Lap and it works great for about 1/6 of the cost of an AMB.
RC Scoring Pro is likely to be the best software package that would offer what you seek.

Our club uses AMB/Alycat for both 1/10 onroad and 1/8 offroad. AMB is definately the way to go for club hardware if you can afford it.

What I'd like to know, from a personal point of view is I-Lap system any good for personal practice sessions when the club timing gear is not available.

Evoracer 10-27-2012 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by pete139 (Post 11373266)
Our club uses AMB/Alycat for both 1/10 onroad and 1/8 offroad. AMB is definately the way to go for club hardware if you can afford it.

What I'd like to know, from a personal point of view is I-Lap system any good for personal practice sessions when the club timing gear is not available.

If you've got the funds to buy an I-Lap just for practice, you can't go wrong. Curious why anyone would think any different ?? It's sad that more clubs don't think about using I-Lap. In truth, most clubs never get off the ground because they think a 5-6000 dollar AMB is a must. The I-Lap is 1/5 of that and it works with RC Scoring Pro and Laps Free. Transponders are 35 bucks.
But.....aren't we all rich and famous from racing RC cars !!?? :rolleyes:

danjoy25 10-27-2012 02:20 PM

Ilaps (http://www.rclapcounter.com/index.html) is good to start your club as it cost $140 for a decoder and $40 for a sensor that can cover 14.5 inches, so an average 6 foot width track you will need 5 sensors. The transponder cost $40 each or $350 for 10. You can get free software like flipside racing and does announce position and fast laps and is so easy to use. We use this system for Mini-Z racing

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

AMB is industry standard for 1/10 so when your club gets more funds it might be a good upgrade down the line.

Rufus2000 10-28-2012 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by pete139 (Post 11373266)

Yes, I-lap is as good as it gets for an infrared system. We're on our first year with the system and I do not regret the purchase decision for our club. It's usb based so it gets all the power it needs from the usb port of your computer, no need for additional power bricks. It's easy to setup and compatible with alot of software since it acts like an AMBrc system.
The free software that it comes with is pretty basic, but we found this one and are extremely happy with it, its free too:

http://www.zround.com/

to be totally honest if you're not a big on-road track and are not doing IFMAR/ROAR events, you don't "need" an AMB.
We race RCGT here and that system is all we'll ever need. The transponders do need a line of sight between them and the sensor bridge as they are infrared, so you just mount them inside the body just below a clear windshield. If you can't or won't do that then yes you need to spend 5 times as much and get the AMB.

huffster 11-29-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rufus2000 (Post 11379243)
Yes, I-lap is as good as it gets for an infrared system. We're on our first year with the system and I do not regret the purchase decision for our club. It's usb based so it gets all the power it needs from the usb port of your computer, no need for additional power bricks. It's easy to setup and compatible with alot of software since it acts like an AMBrc system.
The free software that it comes with is pretty basic, but we found this one and are extremely happy with it, its free too:

http://www.zround.com/

to be totally honest if you're not a big on-road track and are not doing IFMAR/ROAR events, you don't "need" an AMB.
We race RCGT here and that system is all we'll ever need. The transponders do need a line of sight between them and the sensor bridge as they are infrared, so you just mount them inside the body just below a clear windshield. If you can't or won't do that then yes you need to spend 5 times as much and get the AMB.

Great info, Rufus...We have been tortured by the question of what to for lap counting at our track in Fort Worth...not anymore !

Andy w 11-29-2012 04:54 PM

How has the infrared been in outdoor direct sunlight?

Rufus2000 11-29-2012 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by huffster (Post 11495346)
Great info, Rufus...We have been tortured by the question of what to for lap counting at our track in Fort Worth...not anymore !

Cool, you'll love it. Here's a video of our track on a sunny summer day, you can see the sensor bridge we are using.

http://vimeo.com/41680056

There's 9 sensors attached to it with velcro and the bridge is easy to setup and carry (breaks down into 3 pieces), plus it's pretty tough (it's secured on both sides by 2mm steel cables and that keeps it firmly in place) we've had some bad crashes but the bridge is solid as a rock.

Originally Posted by Andy w (Post 11497480)
How has the infrared been in outdoor direct sunlight?

It's been great, temps of 91+ F in the summer with a crazy 130F temps on the asphalt during the hottest hours and not a single fault from the sensors. And when we've experienced a miss it is either the driver's fault for not installing the transponder properly or the little ethernet cables between sensors not being plugged all the way, easy to solve once you remember to check everything once the bridge is installed.

avink007 11-29-2012 11:13 PM

Phone posted in wrong thread, no comment here

B00t13g 11-29-2012 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by huffster (Post 11495346)

Fort Worth Texas?

Barry_Hughes 11-30-2012 12:36 AM

BBK software is the best, lots of options on annoucements, more info here
http://www.bbksoftware.com/

We use at the club I run