Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Revolution vs Cobalt >

Revolution vs Cobalt

Revolution vs Cobalt

Old 04-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Revolution vs Cobalt

Any suggestions? I am looking at the Orion Revolution or a Trinity Cobalt. Looking to jump to modified racing after a while at the stock level. On road touring with a TC3. I was thinking a 10x2 touring car specific model. What is going to keep me up with the gas guys? What brushes are cheaper? I've read that the Revolution Endurance are good and cost under $5. NOt sure about the Trinity.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Suspended

maintenence on the v2 will be alot better cobalt new brushes will last a long time but so will the orion
Old 04-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cobalt - 1 run wonder!

V2 - 2-5 runs!

V2 all the way, IMO!!!

KE
Old 04-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Orion (1st) and Reedy (2nd choice) are the way to go. Their shelf motors are their team motors 90% of the time. I have never gotten a slow Orion or Reedy.

The Orions are my 1st choice because they require the least maintenance of all brushed motors. You can get 3 good runs (w/ 7T & 8T mods) out or a set of enduro brushed before needing to cut the comm and then you can get at lease 3 more out of the same brushes. All of this while running as fast as H-E-double hockey sticks...

Reedy is 2nd because they are just as fast as Orion and are top quality. Their shelf motors are also their team motors 90% of the time. However, you have to cut the comm and re brush every run with low turn mods. Trinity Cobalts would be the same maintenance wise.

Trinity is the king of stock motors. However, even though their team Mod motors are always super fast their production stuff never seems to be as fast. I am not saying this to bash Trinity its just my opinion based on what I see at both Nationals and club races.

Fantom, Team Brood, Redline and a few others make great Mod motors based on the Orion and Reedy tear downs.

The new O'Donnell/Checkpoint motor looks really good too. Jared Tebo has been tearing it up in Off Road for Check Point lately.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I run the peak vantage motors (same as revolution) and have found that I can get 7-8 runs on a set of brushes with little-to-no power loss. I also find that the V-2 motor's are so much more efficient that I get a much better run-time then with "regular" brushed motors.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree with Adrian. Orion, Reedy, and even the Corally modified motors are good. Mine felt alot like a Reedy Ti.

-Korey
Old 04-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

SOunds like it's pretty unanimous! I'm going with Orion. How can i gauge what wind to get? how do you all make decisions between a 12 and a 10 etc. Anyone run at Revelation in CA? Big track. I was thinking 10x2.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Big track..... I normally run 8 turn motors if I can. I'm normally not on the throttle as much so it's easier for me to make runtime. 10 turns are easier to keep under control though.

-Korey
Old 04-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default V2

DCMotorsports V2 based motors rip. I run a 10X1 on indoor carpet tracks and I am experimenting with a 7x1 on the ashphalt....so far runtime is not a problem.....if you are running good cells SMC IB3600's have no problem making 5min runtime in a touring car.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default wind choice

Are you running just for fun or are you racing? Picking a wind for Revalation is a little different from most tracks since it's so long. I would suggest a 10 turn to be the lowest wind for your electric touring car. If your running just for fun, go with a 9 or 8 turn if your speed controller allows you. Make sure when you pick one up that you go with the blue endbell "Modified" instead of the "Touring". If you want to go with the Peak version, go with the Vantage Modified.

The "Modified" versions use a 5mm armature blank and the "Touring" versions use a 4mm armature blank. The Touring versions will actually be a little faster than a Modified version, but you'll have more runtime with the modified versions.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

i've found from runnin offroad that a 10 revolution feels the same as a 12 turn reedy KR
Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

revolution 9x1 marc reinheard edition(because it is blue and pink, and that looks cool)
Old 04-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

I forgot to mention DC Motorsports. Curtis Schlat <sp?> is the "Jacob the Jeweler" of motor winding. Getting a motor from Curtis is pretty much the same as if Oscar Jansen or Mike Reedy were handing it to you...maybe better!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

just to clarify my doubt........

what about LRP motors????? vice world champion sounds good to me.......

all I know is that LRP motors are Yokomo based (same as Reedy KR).......
Old 04-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The "Modified" versions use a 5mm armature blank and the "Touring" versions use a 4mm armature blank. The Touring versions will actually be a little faster than a Modified version, but you'll have more runtime with the modified versions.
The modified version of the V2 is more efficent and slower than the touring version.
If runtime is an issue, get the modified version... I would suggest 9t motors or lower. You can also trim a little of the leading and trailing edge of the brushes to improve efficency and torque. This is also good for keeping the motor cooler.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.