R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Didn't roar approve the little 1s pack that crc had made for the gen xi ? Why wouldn't they change the rules for some one in the tc market ?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Actually, compared to real cars, our current TC shocks are inverted.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Against current ROAR rules.....FWIW.

EA
So were BL motors and LiPo batteries at one time. As long as the pack has a hard shell what diff does its shape make?
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #64
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
As long as the pack has a hard shell what diff does its shape make?
They made the rule for a very good reason. How would you like it if someone came out with a pack with a definite performance advantage over everything else but it only fit in one car? Not only would you need to buy new packs but a new car as well. That's why they mandated that any car designed for a smaller pack had to be able to fit a standard pack as well.

Personally, I like Cyrul's recommendation from years ago. Every couple of years, reduce the maximum size of the packs to keep the mah down to a reasonable level. That would also open up some new possibilities in car design.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #65
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
So were BL motors and LiPo batteries at one time. As long as the pack has a hard shell what diff does its shape make?

Yes they were but this rule was just written last year. It states basically that you can not design a car around a battery pack. That the car must also be able to fit a conventional battery that is for the class you are running it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Didn't roar approve the little 1s pack that crc had made for the gen xi ? Why wouldn't they change the rules for some one in the tc market ?
Yes but their car also fits a normal 1S pack with no problem. SO it fits within the rule.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #66
Tech Fanatic

Not all TC designs are identical. I had a lot of success with my centralised TC6 this year. As a few people have said, to improve the layout requires batteries of a different shape. But with shorties and saddles of various sizes, interesting things are possible.

www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/595348-new-car-project-tc6-c.html
Attached Thumbnails
TC design talk.-20120605_223800-1024.jpg  
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #67
Tech Adept

Like to see more different design for LIPO+brushless , like the following in past for NiCD/NiMH:
TC3/4......shaft-TC,
HPI Pro3, Losi JX2R.....2 belt with in-line motor
team magic E4....3 belt, in-line moter
Losi XXX-S, KX1...single belt
mos-leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos-leung View Post
Like to see more different design for LIPO+brushless , like the follwing in past :
TC3/4......shaft-TC,
HPI Pro3, Losi JX2R,TA06......2 belt with in-line motor
team magic E4....3 belt, in-line moter
Why would you want those old designs? I bet you have a rotary dial cell phone too!

There is a good reason why those designs have been improved over time. Results matter...
Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #69
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Has anyone looked at the Awesomatix Touring car http://www.redrc.net/2009/03/awesoma...ng-car-photos/ I like the idea of really low shocks but how do they work?

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #70
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeadman View Post
Has anyone looked at the Awesomatix Touring car http://www.redrc.net/2009/03/awesoma...ng-car-photos/ I like the idea of really low shocks but how do they work?
The rotary shocks have been around in cars and motorcycle for years. Mostly they have been abandoned due to being overly complex and hard to maintain in full scale applications. Linear dampers are just easier to use and more consistent.

I have no idea about the Awesomatix car. Its winning ETS races in the spec class so it must work ok. I will tell you that based on running its upper arm config on some trinity 1/12th cars I will never run a car with upper arms like that.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #71
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Not all TC designs are identical. I had a lot of success with my centralised TC6 this year. As a few people have said, to improve the layout requires batteries of a different shape. But with shorties and saddles of various sizes, interesting things are possible.

www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/595348-new-car-project-tc6-c.html
Very nice! Have you thought about using saddle packs side by side longitudinally in the same spot as your shortie? The motor would need to move back just a little but it would be even narrower.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #72
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
It's not the motor that's a limitation. It's the shape of our batteries. These is no reason they have to take up the same space as an old 6 cell sub-c pack. Sooner or later some company will realize this, design a car and make a battery fit that car.
Same goes for motors. With BL, they can be smaller than 540-size and still have all the power we ever need. Just the archaic rules getting in the way...
Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #73
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Why would you want those old designs? I bet you have a rotary dial cell phone too!

There is a good reason why those designs have been improved over time. Results matter...
For me, i would like to see more new cars in different style to fit the LIPO+brushless.
A700 is an example for updated shaft TC with some race results in stock ETS.
mos-leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #74
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecee View Post
Same goes for motors. With BL, they can be smaller than 540-size and still have all the power we ever need. Just the archaic rules getting in the way...
I am not a motor designer so I have to ask this question. If our current 540 size motors are maxing out with regards to heat for the 25.5 to 10.5 classes how could we make the motors smaller with the same power and not have heat issues?

I know there are different motor designs out there. I have flown electric helis and planes. However, their power requirements are completely different than ours. Drivers require smooth flat powerbands and extremely consistent and linear throttle feel. This is why we run sensored motors. No one has come up with a sensorless system that I am aware of that gives us the drive-ability that we need.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm thinking smaller motors couldnt be pushed to the same speeds as we r running now but I'm one of those that thinks even spec racing is still 2 fast ... if mod guys r running9.8 and stock is running 10.4 in indoor tracks I think that's way too close . I'm thinking a 2 sec spread between classes .

motor and battery size specs were to change and give the community a 2yr notice to get ready .
I would be happy with making a change or even being slower running the new tech . But I would have a headstart on feel of the newer stuff by time everyone made the change
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote