R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default New to 1/12

I have raced off-road, all classes, you name it, I've run it gas/electic, except for SC. I am currently in college and don't have the room for my off-road equipment and I hope to race some 1/12. I want a car that is easy to tune and requires very little track to track adjustment. I love my losi 8ight 2.0, because i can set it down on any track and make little to no adjustments. What is the best pan car for me? I will probably be running stock. The CRC cars seem less expensive than Xray and AE but the CRC cars seem to win! Can anyone give me some input on the best 1/12 car to get. Durability, low maintenance, and simple/straightforward tuning are most important to me.

many thanks,

Christopher
cstroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Xray: easy to tune ,low maintenance
wellcome to 12
asuradahk001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think they are all good. I currently drive an Associated R5.1, but I've been impressed with other people's Serpents. The build quality of that car is very nice.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstroh View Post
I have raced off-road, all classes, you name it, I've run it gas/electic, except for SC. I am currently in college and don't have the room for my off-road equipment and I hope to race some 1/12. I want a car that is easy to tune and requires very little track to track adjustment. I love my losi 8ight 2.0, because i can set it down on any track and make little to no adjustments. What is the best pan car for me? I will probably be running stock. The CRC cars seem less expensive than Xray and AE but the CRC cars seem to win! Can anyone give me some input on the best 1/12 car to get. Durability, low maintenance, and simple/straightforward tuning are most important to me.

many thanks,

Christopher
Christopher, where will you be racing? The best thing I can tell you is go see what people are running at the track you'll frequent most often. Look for parts support in the store, and performance on the track. Then make your decision. That being said, you can't go wrong with CRC, as they are generally well supported, and readily available nearly everywhere.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
Tech Champion

All 1/12ths basically tune the same way so it really doesn't matter which one you get in terms of tuning options. The new CRC car has a nice feature in that you don't have to use ride height adapters in the back like all the other cars out there. But Team Tamale makes rear pods that also do not use rear ride height adjusters for several of the top brands out there. BMI also has an interesting rear suspension that uses fiberglass links on the side so there are no side springs. But it is going to be awhile before the new car comes out. Top also has a good car that uses shims instead of adapters to set the rear ride height.

Bottom line is there are a lot of great cars out there. Question you have to ask yourself is are you ok with mail ordering parts to get a car that you like best if your LHS doesn't have parts for it...or would you rather go with a car that the LHS has parts for. Some people like to get a more unusual car and are ok with mail order...others would rather have local parts support.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a unopened CRC Gen Xi that I need to sell it (not the latest but previous generation) I will let it go for 160USD if you are interested, However It is shipped from Taiwan where I current live.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker View Post
I have a unopened CRC Gen Xi that I need to sell it (not the latest but previous generation) I will let it go for 160USD if you are interested, However It is shipped from Taiwan where I current live.
I've got two X12's with a ton of spares that I will be posting up on monday for 400.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The thing with crc cars winning more than other brands is when you have 85% of the racers running one (cause their less expensive) your bound to get some wins. Just kidding, their all good and about the same to tune so pick your favorite color and you'll be good to go.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstroh View Post

many thanks,

Christopher
Look for parts availability where you will be racing. Around here, associated seems to be the easiest to get, which makes the R5.1/.2 the best option. I love my Serpent, and we have the full range of cars out here, but when it comes to breaking parts, its the AE cars that can almost always get replacements locally. We have Nexus local so Xray support is strong as well, but that is usually next day, not race night availability.

Just an example, local racer went with us up to the USVTA Southern Nats in Nashville. He has a BMI car, very quick, absolutely competitive. He broke a part on the second lap of practice, and was out the weekend. At least he was running a second class, or it would have been a wasted trip completely. I have enough parts to almost build a second S120 as I know I would be in the same boat. AE and CRC parts are just more available in this area anyway.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote