R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #106
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice Car, but it's the latest AE kit, not an entry level touring Car.... Your learning process has just begun, and it will a long time before you fully understand all the different features of your professional kit.... Good luck.....
bertrandsv87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #107
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Nice Car, but it's the latest AE kit, not an entry level touring Car.... Your learning process has just begun, and it will a long time before you fully understand all the different features of your professional kit.... Good luck.....
I somewhat agree. I was actually leaning towards a different car mentioned earlier in the thread. But found local parts support for the TC6.1 is good here and a few friends race these to help understand set up setup. Not to mention the $250 sale price for a hoppped up kit really helped.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #108
Tech Master

In 2009 I began the hobby with a TC5. Of course it took some time to understand the car, but who cares? Start slow and get into the setup step by step
Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #109
Suspended

Smile

You don't want newbies to be scared away by the many options of a pro car. You want them to feel at ease with the few setup parameters they can understand first, and when they are ready, they will take on the more complicated stuff . You have to care about Newbies too, or else the hobby won't survive...
Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #110
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont fully understand all the setup techs stuff...but with most AE cars(TC3/4/5/6/6.1/6.1WC), the basic setup works very well...and with the website has alot of easy to read setup sheets

Im still running "boxstock" setup on all 3 cars this past weekend and took TQ and wins
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #111
Suspended

Smile

Sometimes less setup possibilities makes you faster ! More time practicing, and less time changing things ! I stick with my tc4's...
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #112
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Sometimes less setup possibilities makes you faster ! More time practicing, and less time changing things ! I stick with my tc4's...
I agree..too...but if you have a TC6.1, the manual build will get you going nice
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #113
Tech Initiate

What about the Serpent rtr, also looking into a touring car
Budman223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24

Quote:
Professional kit for a entry level price = WIN

I'm brand new to touring car racing.. I decided to go with Xray T4 after seriously considering a Tc4. I figure I can use the stock set-up and learn from there..as I become a better drive I can start learning about each aspect of setting up a car and how those adjustments effect the car. Just because my car is highly adjustable doesn't mean I have to use those adjustments. I rather have a car that gives me room to grow than to buy a "entry level" car then grow out of it and then have to buy a better, faster kit with more adjustment options.

I feel like a newbie would benefit from having one professional kit and grow into it as there driving skills develop/ set-up knowledge increases opposed to buying an entry level kit.. getting used to how that car handles and then switch to a completely new car as they get better...which I think would hurt their driving more so than having many options for set-up.
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #115
Suspended

Smile

Es24, although your way of thinking is 100% right, the setup adjustments on a tc4 far exceeds the minimum to get you on pace, on top of many expert racers coming up with more tips and tricks that have improved it even further to the point where they TQ sometimes against the newer crop of cars... How many more usable adjustments does a new kit really have on a tc4 ??? Lower CG, lower diffs and shocks,..... The awesomatix has the lowest cg of them all, but that does not mean a higher cg car can't be consistantly faster... How about the driver's ability to grow and get faster ??? That's probably the most important aspect here, and I think that you can outgrow a car today, and comeback two years later and be way faster with the same car. Car and driver go hand in hand, and not giving up on a car can be rewarding down the line....
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #116
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Es24, although your way of thinking is 100% right, the setup adjustments on a tc4 far exceeds the minimum to get you on pace, on top of many expert racers coming up with more tips and tricks that have improved it even further to the point where they TQ sometimes against the newer crop of cars... How many more usable adjustments does a new kit really have on a tc4 ??? Lower CG, lower diffs and shocks,..... The awesomatix has the lowest cg of them all, but that does not mean a higher cg car can't be consistantly faster... How about the driver's ability to grow and get faster ??? That's probably the most important aspect here, and I think that you can outgrow a car today, and comeback two years later and be way faster with the same car. Car and driver go hand in hand, and not giving up on a car can be rewarding down the line....
I get that you love the TC4 but stop talking like it's the end all be all; it's a fine car but the modern designs are better. I've had one and it was very frustrating; it had a very narrow setup window (which ironically is bad for a beginner) and a few problem areas in it's design. I switched to an Xray 007 with an Exotek chassis and couldn't be happier. The Xray seems way more forgiving with setup changes/errors i.e. when the setup isn't perfect for the conditions it's still drive-able, the TC4 wasn't like that for me.

If I was looking for a lowest cost car to get into onroad now I would look at the Sakura Zero S or the Spec-R S1 leaning to the Spec-R due to the threaded shocks and upgrade options. If I was looking middle of the road price it would be hard to pass up the TC6.1 for the price it's at now. I think the OP chose the right car.
rcgerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #117
Suspended

Smile

My whole point was that if there is no rtr version, then it's not an entry level car. If you were comparing the new serpent s411 RTR with the tc4 RTR, then you would have a valid point, but before the serpent RTR came out, only the cyclone RtR or hpi sprint2 rtr were out there with not much more adjustments than the tc4.... Maybe they should do another big RTR challenge , all with the same powerplant(17.5t blinky), to see which one comes out on top... As far as club tq and win, I have never heard of another RTR winning, other than the tc4 tub rtr....
Old 11-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #118
Tech Regular

Quote:
My whole point was that if there is no rtr version, then it's not an entry level car. If you were comparing the new serpent s411 RTR with the tc4 RTR, then you would have a valid point, but before the serpent RTR came out, only the cyclone RtR or hpi sprint2 rtr were out there with not much more adjustments than the tc4.... Maybe they should do another big RTR challenge , all with the same powerplant(17.5t blinky), to see which one comes out on top... As far as club tq and win, I have never heard of another RTR winning, other than the tc4 tub rtr....
RTR is probably a not so good thing for this "hobby". It is just that, a hobby and that is what I believe is hurting the people that start. They make a horrible assumption that by buying a pre-built car and throwing in some poor electronics that they can walk off the street and be competitive. They should buy a kit and build it to see its different components and how they work. Learning is part of the process and also part of the hobby. There will be people at your local track that will be willing to point new people in the right direction.

The hobby needs to get back to the basics and the growth will come. The 1980's and early 90's were good for the hobby..... No RTR's at that time and many that started then are still involved in the hobby.
HawaiiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #119
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Luke Hobson

There's nothing saying an "entry level" car has to be rtr...

For the price, the TC6.1 was the PERFECT choice for this chap. It's got more than enough set up options to play with if he wants to do any serious running and he's not limited by equipment, which if he'd have brought a magical TC4 then he'd probably surpass the cars abilities (to keep up with other if racing... Not bashing) then feel the need to upgrade again in 6-7 months, the car he has now will see him right for a few years. End of.

http://luke-hobson.blogspot.com/
Luke Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #120
Tech Adept

When I bought my TC6.1 on sale the other day I was specifically trying to avoid buying another RTR. I have a lot of RTRs and I wanted to build a kit for once.

It was a learning experience, sure, but it was well worth it.
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote