R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #91
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Tuner View Post
single biggest backward step in my opinion...class dilution. Constantly fragmetting catagories into smaller subsets sucks.

also, race tracks and/or racing organizations that sit back and force the racers to create their own rules. to me, asking racers to organize themselves is like pushing a rock uphill.
Then there are the RC Locusts who move into whatever is the new "IT" class. They make it viable for a time, but then they move on, leaving newer racers who took up the class when it was big with no one to race against. They then get discouraged and leave the sport half the time. This stagnates numbers.

Club officials need to step up and take responsibility for setting classes, deferring to a sub set of sanctioned classes where possible. Of course the locusts who just want to race whatever they want to race don't like it, they stamp their feet and make noise, but in the end clubs will be a lot healthier for it. In terms of overall entrants (note I said entrants not entries) and competition which will improve driving standards.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #92
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

who remembers years back when there were actuallly class limits? Ha! Now, it's slid to the other end of the scale with, 'takes three to make a class'.
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #93
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

early to mid 90s - stock and mod
late 90s to early 2000s - stock, 19t, mod
mid 2000s - brushless took over, now too many classes, 10.5, 13.5, 17.5, 21.5, 25.5, open. Novak, hmm, all those turns...
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #94
Tech Champion

for me, I came back to the hobby when 3800's quickly became 4200's then overnight, bam 4600's...then Orion 3200 lipo...what the world?

good..lipos,brushless, and USVTA...I say VTA cause it has saved alot of tracks and got alot of ppl involved, as well as got returning racers back on the track...Im not sure how anybody can say VTA is all over the place w/ rules and such?....90% of the tracks if not more all run under the USVTA rules...simple...

another good...spec rubber tire for 17.5 TC...perfect

bad...none...not sure where anything bad can be in a hobby?...its a hobby, we get a chance to enjoy something other than work
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #95
Tech Fanatic

Good- Pretty much all the same as mentioned, 2.4GHz, Brushless, Lipo...

Bad- The racers... Everybody wants something different and what is best for themselves instead of what is best for the racing. I could go on but that about sums it up.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #96
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Spec racing is where it's at. Set the rules and don't bend, unless you absolutely have to. If you have to bend, be sure it's just a little. (You know what happens when you drop the soap? Same basic thing, but without the shame.)

You want to keep the veteran racers happy, but maintain accessibility for new guys. It won't happen with an all carbon-fiber-5.5T-6S-LiPo-foam-tired-monster-mod-touring-pan-class.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #97
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Something I've been noticing for a while when log into rctech, number of viewers/members in various forum categories. It does follow the last 15 years trend in r/c, which is

nitro onroad - step backward, losing more popularity.
electric offroad - big leap forward with brushless and lipo, most popular category today.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #98
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Electric offroad is popular because of the novelty of jumps. I would love to see just once an offroad layout with no jumps at all, maybe woops or blisters, off-camber sections or banking corners but no jumps. See who is fast then.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #99
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

When we had 1200 SCRs, we had 4min. heats

When we had 2000 SCRCs, we had 5min heats

Now we have 6500 and even 6900 lipos, why are the heats still 5min???????

1/12 scale has been 8min since the beginning with Mabuchi motors and 1200 Yellow Label Sanyos. Now even with 7000 1s lipo and efficient brushless motors, its still 8min??????

Really has anyone ever dumped in a race other than for having forgotten to charge their battery?

Increased battery capacity and efficient brushless systems = big step forward

Keeping heats at the same run time as the late 90's = big step backwards
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Electric offroad is popular because of the novelty of jumps. I would love to see just once an offroad layout with no jumps at all, maybe woops or blisters, off-camber sections or banking corners but no jumps. See who is fast then.
I believe that's called on-road. Off road vehicles have a higher ride height and longer suspension to take care of those jumps. Onroad doesn't and so the ride heights are lower, the surfaces are generally prepped for traction, and the suspension is much more compact.

Let's try and keep this on topic rather than make it an on-road vs off-road thread.

My favorite advancements are just echos of other members, the widespread use of the 2.4ghz spectrum, brushless motors, and crazy run times (and speeds) with lipos.

In the future I look forward to even longer run times and faster charging (a 1:1 ratio of drive time to charging would be great!)
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #101
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just love the hobby past, present, future.It is what you make of it.You can win with older stuff, ie chassis, and you can win with newer stuff.Buy a good speedo and motor,and one of the cheap lipo's and one can race a good long time compared to yester year.I have been doing this long time.Come join the fun/You too race long time.
tc3jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Advancement = electronics

Step Back = multiple classes for each chassis divided by 3 skill levels..
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #103
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looking through old threads and found this.

I wonder if anything has changed since 2012.

IMO biggest advancement has been brushless although it came to cars about 5 years later than it should have.

Biggest step backwards, overally restrictive rules that has stunted development, increased costs and pushed race cars down a path that is vastly different to hobby grade cars.

Last edited by frozenpod; 02-08-2014 at 02:14 AM. Reason: spelling
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #104
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
Biggest step backwards, overally restrictive rules that has stunted development, increased costs and pushed race cars down a path that is vastly different to hobby grade cars.
This

All you see are cookie cutter cars these days. Anyone see inflation hitting the current cost of this hobby? It still is somewhat affordable, but you tend to be careful about the choices you make.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #105
Tech Fanatic

Biggest advance - reliability... of everything. And 2.4Ghz radios - simply a whole lot better than anything the 27MHz or 40Mhz radios ever offered.

Biggest step back - speedo timing. Pain in the butt and makes the cars crappy to drive.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote