R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Advancement step for lazy newcomers and a step backforward for hobbyist: RTR.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #62
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

It would be another leap forward for NEWBIES if manufacturers could start making their RTR vehicles with 17.5t motors , blinky esc , and a radio with expos too...... Add a transponder, and go Racing legally rightaway.... Can you imagine the influx of newbies that would see no need to build at all to get on the track....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #63
Tech Master

they'll need open practice day at the track before start racing
Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #64
Tech Master

More race rollers - a welcoming idea.

RTR - should explicitly say ready to RUN on the box and not mislead people thinking it's ready to race LOL.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #65
Suspended

I'll agree to that, especially after shelling $300 , and be denied to run at the track... I am sure alot of us went through that in our early days, and if we can eliminate that barrier, the newcomers will be hooked for life... Track directors will be running Y mains and Z mains every weekend..lol...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Its really not the xar makers fault that the racing communities have grown such a big head ha.
Nothing turns newbs off faster than guys in the pits telling them to go spend $500++ just to get on the track.
Rtrs may not appeal o the bulk of people here but they offer a gateway into the sport i think more clubs should endorse.
We started an associated sc18 class this year and so far it has been quite successful.

Ill agree there needs o be more parity in the cars available. Mayby this is why tamiya classes are popular.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #67
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tamiya mini dominates at my club because of the standardization. A Tamiya mini is a certain size, with certain gear ratios, etc. Very accessible. Manufacturers are throwing out all kinds of different scales and classes left and right, just hoping to have the next Slash. Bring the bashers and the racers closer together and we all win.

Worst thing that's happened in the past 15 years: We all got older and started bitching about how some things used to be better. ;-P
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post

Worst thing that's happened in the past 15 years: We all got older and started bitching about how some things used to be better. ;-P
They were
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #69
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
They were
Really? I listen to most of the music from the 80's now and think it's crap. I'm diggin on dubstep now.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #70
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Really? I listen to most of the music from the 80's now and think it's crap. I'm diggin on dubstep now.
80's! I can't stand that modern stuff

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #71
Tech Addict

If I could add another 2 cents of my opinion to this thread, I think another "bad" is the quality (not) of the r/c media.

I don't own an iPad or similar, I don't want to read mags on my pc, I don't want to buy an electronic subscription. I'm old fashioned, I want old fashioned paper magazines with great photos on good quality paper.

I also want bs-free reviews and comparisons of new equipment and vehicles, and not a crap weekly internet show that's full of Traxxas & A Main ads and r/c planes and helicopters. They may fool 8 year old newbie kids, they're not fooling anyone else

Perhaps I'm just asking too much ?
Losiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #72
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Luke Hobson

Best things for RC

2.4, brushless, lipo's, spec per built tire/wheel/insert combo's thank god I don't have to go to a track with hauler bags of those anymore!

Worst things,

"boosting/turbo" any other flavour of the month term for a dynamic timing ESC. It's ruined racing.
Light weight shells, don't last long even with good driving so I begrudge spending the money to have it painted up.
Non generalisation between classes. Before, we had Mod, 19t, and 27t. You knew where you were with those, I'm currently racing in 3 different UK winter championships, and between those, the classes range from 21.5 "boosted", 17.5 blinky, 13.5 boosted and open mod

I want the simple times back! And that's bad coming from a 24 year old with 15 years experience.... :-/

Im off to go tell some kids off for playing on my lawn now!

http://luke-hobson.blogspot.com/
Luke Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #73
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z View Post

Opportunity for Advancement:
The race format should advance with the capability the electronics. I would suggest something like 2 minute Fast lap qualifiers with three 10 min. mains for club racing.
You're my new idol.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #74
Tech Master

GP and Horizon buying up small r/c companies which make it easier for hobby shops to get the stuff through the big two.

The bad, shitty design with cheap quality parts, and GP and Horizon are in the same town across the street from each other. Champaign IL, yikes.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #75
Tech Regular

The good is 2.4ghz, BL, lipo, ready made foams that are trued, prices, internetshops and much more.

The bad is getting people to race, seems Xbox/Playstation/gaming is far better now. When some school or parents come to the track to show kids how a REAL hobby is, the kids are turned off when the cars need repair after crashing at top speed head on into barrier. Because their car in Gran Turismo/Forza don't break! 'Why not press the restart button??? Do cars break from 40mph crash??'
RossoTorro is offline   Reply With Quote