R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Good:

Drifting, specially counter steer.

Bad:

RTR, they take away the most epic fun part of getting a new car.
yet people buy them.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Step Forward:

- Everything. Cheap rtr. Expensive racing machines. Low power esc/motor, high power esc/motor. F1, rally, buggy, truggy, touring, mini, crawling, rigs, trucks. 1/36 - 1/4 scale. Local hobby shops, buying online. Racing in malls, parking lots, outdoor/indoor permanent tracks.

Step Backward:

- Nothing. We have the option to buy what we want. There is a product for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
Step Backward:

- Nothing. We have the option to buy what we want. There is a product for everyone.

Please find me rubber tyre caps for a 12th scale.

I'm having trouble finding a new wiper arm for my speed control too.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #49
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
I'm having trouble finding a new wiper arm for my speed control too.

I've still got the complete, unused MSC from my M03 in the kit box if you need it
Losiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #50
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
Please find me rubber tyre caps for a 12th scale.
BSR if you can get him to ship them for you. But for the love of god why?

As someone else mentioned earlier, why is WGT not the most popular carpet class on the planet? Cars are cheap and tough, tires are spec, work good and last, they are fun to drive and the racing is great.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #51
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
BSR if you can get him to ship them for you. But for the love of god why?
I've tried BSR, others in Aus have too. He stops replying when you ask for a minimum order and a price. I tried for months, so did a guy who runs a track and a series, he even had an Aus racer who was in the US for Vegas arrange to pick up samples, didn't happen.

Reason: 1 track that is crucial for getting a state series running in NSW. We used caps their on pan cars in the 90s. Now the only pan cars that get around are F1s on rubbers. Painted concrete, temporary pavilion, dusty in the extreme, night time.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #52
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The good: Brushless, Lipo, 2.4, durable plastic parts

The bad: the Traxxas Slash and Short Bus Truck racing, bigger and bigger offroad jumps, the demise of the boosted ESC (what, you like burning motors?) Video games, complete lack of desire to be a tuner/tinkerer in any new kids.
Short course is bad? It's one of the largest classes around, lots of new people get in to the hobby in off road because of short course.

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Good: Traxxas Slash saved off road from disappearing. Lipo batts which are cheaper in the long run and more dependable over all others. 2.4 radios which eliminated radio glitching.

Bad: ESCs wars for the newest and best exotic options; drives cost up.

Last comment. Remember when it was said that brushless motors would level the playing field? New Bad: Motor wars for newest and most exotic motors.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Biggest step backward would be FlySky radios showing up at races and glitching Spektrum radios.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Good advances

Brushless, Lipo, Spektrum radios, programmable ESCs in no particular order. A lot of associated electronic hardware came with these, all very good.

ECS driveshafts, gear diffs, belts (again no preference).

There was no mention of whether the question concerns technology or the sport in general, but I don't see any technological advances that have been detrimental.

The not so beneficial changes I see came all from the way the sport is organised/run and the way distribution/retail has adapted to the global market. An obvious and important mention, the LHS does not have an extensive stock of parts anymore so we face an increased reliance on shopping overseas with good lead times which is almost the same - but not always - as ordering locally and hoping for the best. From my experience (in Australia), LHS have not done a good job at implementing an efficient system, hence their shrinking customer base and subsequyently their orientation towards the "impulse buyer - casual customer" rather than the focused racer. This is maybe one possible explanation of the advent of the RTR kit. In the US I think there are a handful of good shops with local stock, fortunate those within range. These I think prove that it is possible to run a local shop in a global market; there is probably something to learn there.

There are positives here as well, no need to mention those, I guess.

All this however has more to do with globalisation of the economy rather than the sport itself.

A great positive regarding the way the sport is run is the international competition calendar now including competitions such as the ETS and others. I know that can again be attributed more to the EU enlarging and the economy booming, but still.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #56
Tech Regular

1. Lipo
2. Brushless
3. 2.4
4. oil filled geardiffs
5. Short course
6. Rims with offset
7. ebay, rcmart.
8. premade (n gluing needed) foam inserts for tires.

Bad
1. (For both On/offroad)
Carpets no racing without carpets. Oh no must have carpets, can`t race on concrete, dirt or grass... or.... anything but carpets.

2. The mandatory tire additives to improve grip and not pick up all the foam tire debree on your rubber tires ( should be a event controlled tire wash pre race)

3. Foam tires..
4. Soldering
5. Non standard body mounting holes. I just allways miss on that.
6. Yeah racing
7. Few to none rubber tires and rims with more width than the typical 26mm tire.
MatsNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #57
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Most of the pluses listed in the previous pages, 2.4, brushless, gear doffs all things listed to makes us lazy are good things.

Boosted esc's are the worst thing that's happened to this hobby. I quit racing because of it, I'd love to start racing again, but as long as boosted crap is run, I won't.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #58
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
Boosted esc's are the worst thing that's happened to this hobby. I quit racing because of it, I'd love to start racing again, but as long as boosted crap is run, I won't.
huh?? Boost was killed off. Just about everywhere has gone to blinky now across the board. For 1s, I will concede that boost is a bit of pain to get right, but i far prefer it for 2s applications. I see the current trend of blinky(no boost) for every class but mod as a huge step backwards. It makes it far more expensive to be competitive, because it just changed the war from one of software(which had evened out just as they started killing boost) now back to a motor and battery war.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The best and worst to me are the same. Globalized economy.

The ability to purchase anything from anywhere is great for the racer who wants something different or that don't have a local shop to purchase from.

Then again, the local shop has issues with this globalization due to oversea retailers and manufacturers selling product to the general public for the same to less money than they offer to a shop to carry said product.

A local shop here stopped carrying or ordering anything from a certain manufacturer due to this very issue. It's bad for the hobby when Joe Racer can buy his steering knuckles online, that he breaks at your track, for less than the shop can get them from his distributor.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #60
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
huh?? Boost was killed off. Just about everywhere has gone to blinky now across the board. For 1s, I will concede that boost is a bit of pain to get right, but i far prefer it for 2s applications. I see the current trend of blinky(no boost) for every class but mod as a huge step backwards. It makes it far more expensive to be competitive, because it just changed the war from one of software(which had evened out just as they started killing boost) now back to a motor and battery war.
I couldn't agree more, blinky = hi gear ratio = hi temp = hi C lipo = hi cost and low speed.

Boosted can be a PITA to get right but when done correctly hi speed low temp

Mod is the cheapest, blinky low boost is fine on small or low grip, more boosted is more power than than you can use so temps stay low
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote