R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Good:

All of the things mentioned that reduce maintenance and simplify the hobby (2.4g, BL Motors, LiPo, Personal Transponders.

The Bad:

Things that complicate the hobby and make the learning curve steeper so new racers have a hard time getting up to speed.

The complexity of sedans, learning what the adjustments do, how setup changes have to compliment each other to get what you want.

Timing Boost. Sure you can get a setup from the local fast guy but big track changes or racing at different tracks make little tweaks necessary to get the fastest most consistent handling car. It is very complicated for a new racer to understand how to set their speedo for boosted racing.

Too many classes. It seems every track has its own rules. 1/12th stock can be 17.5 boosted or blink or 13.5 blinky. Most sedan racing is 17.5 or 13.5 blinky at club racers, VTA is all over the place track to track. It used to be everyone agreed to follow the ROAR rules even if they were not a ROAR track. I think we need to get back to more pure compliance/interpretations of the rules.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Timbo99 Send a message via AIM to Timbo99 Send a message via MSN to Timbo99 Send a message via Skype™ to Timbo99
Default You young folks......

Wow.Biggest plus of all!
I think I'm the first one to mention this one,and it's widely used now in ALOT of things.
This my friends is carbon fibre,used structurally,not just to look pretty.
The other major plus is forums like this where you can find your answer before race day.
Last plus is the humble sausage in bread for two bucks.Who cares about chassis tweak when you have two bits of bread with snags of the barbie?
Downsides.
No NASCAR class....lol
People with lights on their pit table during the day
White sunglasses ( sorry Tom )
Marshalls that are looking at cloud formations while your rig is upside down next to their left foot.
This hobby is awesome,imagine what we will have in the next 20 years?
Also,great thread Mr Gray,well played.
Cheers all
Tim
Serpent ERYX/S411 Le#189,#024,TE/Airtronics/MuchMore FLETA 4/Ryan Dezign-
"The finest RC paintwork in Australia"/LEESPEED/Ame T-Shox/THiNK Carbon.
"If at first you don't succeed,.....tell'em it's the "Beta" 1.0 version"
Timbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've got to defend blinky settings in ESCs, as they're getting a bad rap here. Our biggest and somehow still growing class is Tamiya Mini, in which we use a spec 2200kv motor/ESC combo. The systems are dead reliable, equal and cheaper than the brushed speed controls many were running a few years ago. The bonus is that people graduate from mini and were constantly feeding new drivers into TC and pan car classes...with boost and all that other hooey.

BTW, if you want mod TC, we're running it across western Canada this year. NO motor, ESC or timing limits. Just fast cars and the smell of smoke.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Advancement:
Electronics.... what every body else said re. radio, LiPo and BL

Opportunity for Advancement:
The race format should advance with the capability the electronics. I would suggest something like 2 minute Fast lap qualifiers with three 10 min. mains for club racing.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
The Manta Ray looked halfway decent though...not like the ugly ones we have today.

I'm of mixed feelings on this...but I'd have to say the biggest step backwards is RTRs...sure it brought people in but most don't stick around after they break the car the first time and many of the ones that do stick around think their RTR is the fastest thing on earth and they should be instantly competitive against veteran racers. So when they do poorly they quit.
Don't forget cars like the Fire Dragon, Terra Scorcher, and Incident 4wds. They all had the cab forward design too One day, we will go back to the standard style buggy bodies. It's all a cycle.

I too think RTRs just makes things more complicated. The manufactures just put in any kind of electronics for a particular class (no standardization at all). When you want to run for a class, you most likely have to buy all new electronics and hope to sucker someone into buying your sensorless(brushed) system. This one reason why mentioning the word "cheap" should be banned in rc racing All RTRs should be sold in the form of a race roller and let the racer choose the electronics.

everyone pretty much mentioned all the good/bad stuff, I wonder what the future holds for RC
Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Good: Now that most racers are using 2.4ghz radios my FM/PCM radio works better because I rarely have any frequency conflicts.

----------

Bad: Too many tracks are inside and away from public view/potential new racers.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump View Post
#1 Without a single doubt is 2.4GHz.
Who remembers back in the day when your model had a 100 foot range and after that its glitch/runaway city? How about frequency boards? How about some clown in the pits with your crystal sticking it in his TX just for laughs? Modern radios are for the most part ROCK SOLID in comparison to the crap of yesteryear.

#2 AMB.
Transponders brought accuracy to the races. Race directors are no longer bean counters - they can actually call the race! Personal sized transponders are the cats ass. So I guess then, technically, so is RC Scoring Pro.

#3 Advancements in servo technology.
They used to be SOOOOOOOO crappy. I mean REALLY crappy like you wouldn't understand how badly so unless you owned some of the worst of the best from yesteryear.

#4 The internet.
WHAT? Am I on crack? No. Let me send you my setup sheet in PDF. Or look up the spec. and dimensions for my next battery purchase. Or sign up and pay for the next race... all from my iPhone. Without the internet, I GUARANTEE I wouldn't have a single clue about proper setup for any of my kits, nor would the vast majority of people. Lets not forget to mention Youtube!

#5 ESC's.
Pretty much a no brainer... that is unless you've never owned a model with a 3 speed mechanical switch that used resistors to dissipate the energy to allow for slower speeds. Then you might not understand why ESC's are so good.

#6 Lipo and brshless.
Who remembers hooking up their 1200mah nicad, walking over to the start/finish line, placing their car on the grid and not even daring to touch the steering or throttle until the tone sounded? Why? because your pack would dump flat on its ass at 4 minutes and 6 seconds... that is if you brought the correct pinion with you that day.

#7 Tires and foams. No way we're taking steps backwards with tire and foam technology. I'd hate to have to run tires and compounds from 15 years ago.

#8 Switching power supplies.
You know, back in the day I used to own a really nice Pyramid 35 amp power supply. It weighed about 40 pounds. Kind of hard to stuff in a hauler bag if you know what I mean.

#9 China. Because without China, this would be a millionaires only club.
LOL I do remember those days.

All the above are true as the good.

Remember racing mod with a 15 turn motor and $100 SCE 1800mah NiCads.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good---Lap counter. I remember when the horn sounded everybody need to stop their cars so the officer can count how many laps you did (13.45 lap).
---Battery. No need to carry 4 packs per car (I am from Nicd period) + re-peak at the starting line.
---Radio. No more antenna fight on the driver stand.

Bad---- Too many classes. I remember there are only 2 classes (1:12 stock or 1:12 modified).
Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #39
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

definitely 2.4 ghz has improved the hobby.

downside:
too many classes. kinda like the nfl. too many teams
Old 10-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spu83 View Post
Good---Lap counter. I remember when the horn sounded everybody need to stop their cars so the officer can count how many laps you did (13.45 lap).
---Battery. No need to carry 4 packs per car (I am from Nicd period) + re-peak at the starting line.
---Radio. No more antenna fight on the driver stand.

Bad---- Too many classes. I remember there are only 2 classes (1:12 stock or 1:12 modified).
+1 on the number of classes. Our race days go from 8am till the sun sets.
Too long to wait if you only have 1 class. Most pick 2 or 3 classes, but some people just couldn't commit the entire day and simply quit coming.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"#6 Lipo and brshless.
Who remembers hooking up their 1200mah nicad, walking over to the start/finish line, placing their car on the grid and not even daring to touch the steering or throttle until the tone sounded? Why? because your pack would dump flat on its ass at 4 minutes and 6 seconds... that is if you brought the correct pinion with you that day."
I remember I bought a motorcycle battery just for re-peak my Ni-cd at the starting line.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
...transponders should be thirty bucks.

+ 1,000

Like others here before me - I race toy cars for fun. If I have to explain, you'll never understand. :D
btsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
+1 on the number of classes. Our race days go from 8am till the sun sets.
Too long to wait if you only have 1 class. Most pick 2 or 3 classes, but some people just couldn't commit the entire day and simply quit coming.
+1 on the length of a race day.

Seems like a better way to would be to run half of classes in the AM and half in the PM. Thanks to BL you discharge less and LiPo the cycle time is that much quicker. If you just want to run one you only have to hang around for a half a day. If you want to run more, the option is open to stay around for the PM session. With the UF1 format being all one class on race days, we are kind of spoiled.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yup 1200 SCR's... At least they would hold up to some abuse. Those panasonic batteries were junk. I want to say they were a pale purple. SCE's didn't hold up well either.
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

good:
lipo, brushless, 2.4, internet for research (double edge sword though)and a wide variety of manufactures to choose chassis from

bad:
Super companies buying smaller companies who make a good product then shutting down the assembly line to protect the bigger companies' similar but higher priced product
who ever bought losi and changed the plastic
Schumacher brick and morter leaving U.S.
internet sales are destroying the LHS, track side HS and the mom and pop HS
Power and Fueled by TP, Graupner, FMA, Powermaster and xtrema
Controlled by Radiopost Sponsored by me and my passion
apriliamille is offline   Reply With Quote