R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
WRR
Tech Adept

Default Viper vtx1 vs Tekin RS

Hi all. Probably a thread about these matters but they tend to get really long and hard to find facts within.

New to the 1/12 game and want to know what is fastest these days?
Need a quick answer cuz the shopping cart are done and I want to hit check out as soon as possible while the stuff is all available

Both are rather small and viper deliver with a voltage booster. That much I know. But which one is the fastest with which motor?

Oh, and I talk about 13.5 boosted

Thanks in advance. Alex
WRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Tekin is king IMO for boosted. Viper is right there with it though. I would go Tekin not only for performance but the frequent updates and excellent support. Viper would be a very close second for me but it does have a few extra features that may make it even better. Also, the 1s viper does not need a booster or receiver pack.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

So, does the Tekin require something extra to run 1S? I'm looking to get into 1/12 also and I have an RS I could pull from another car, but wondering if it's all I need.
klaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
WRR
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaymon View Post
So, does the Tekin require something extra to run 1S? I'm looking to get into 1/12 also and I have an RS I could pull from another car, but wondering if it's all I need.
Yes, you need an additional voltage booster like the one from novak. Your radio gear will not work on 3,7volts so you need to amp up to 6v at least. A small module that you fit between the battery and speedo and then connect to the receiver.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Or you can run a receiver pack. I use a little 180mah lipo wired into the switch.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I used one of these when I ran a Tekin in WGT, much cheaper than the Novak booster and it worked perfectly

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11784
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Double post sorry
Old 10-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
WRR
Tech Adept

And back on topic please
Old 10-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nikos2002

You can check our our website for more information and see winning and A Main set ups from IIC (International Indoor Champs) a few weeks ago. VTX1 results - 1st Expert WGT, 2nd 17.5 1/12, 5th in Mod 1/12, 10th in F1

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Sponsored By: Spektrum RC, Horizon Hobby, TLR, Maclan Racing, J Concepts
nikos2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Tech Champion

I've ran both and both are really good. I recently switched to a Viper because I was getting tired of running a separate voltage booster and the Viper does not need one. I noticed right away that the Spektrum receivers that I was having some glitching issues with stopped having issues. So the built in voltage booster is quite strong. The all aluminum case is pretty cool and the programming interface is nice because you don't have to unplug anything to program it. As for the Tekin having an external voltage booster can be a good thing depending how you think of it. If the voltage booster goes out you just have one little thing to replace instead of a whole ESC. As wingracer noted the Tekin is pretty much the king of boosted racing so if the track in your area runs a boosted class that's something to consider. I haven't tried the Viper in boosted because all our racing is blinky so I can't comment there. The Viper does seem a bit smoother on the low end throttle control but unless you are driving in low grip conditions you probably will not notice the difference. Though the websites list differently...the footprint of both ESCs are identical except one is 90* from the other. So size wise the Tekin will take up slightly more room with the voltage booster. The Tekin is alot lighter so balancing your car left to right is easier. The Viper's smart braking system is really interesting but the Viper doesn't have a push control and Tekin does. Both companies have EXCELLENT support. Both Randy from Tekin and Nick from Viper are active on the forum and helping people with their issues and both were also at the IIC and helped the members of our group with their issues.

Basically it is going to come down to preference. You can't go wrong with either ESC.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You should also consider the hobbywing xerun 1s. I've had great success with mine and so have many others. Probably cheaper than both the viper and the tekin too.
S.Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

As long as you don't mind rolling right past your spot on the starting grid because the brakes are non-existent at low speeds you should be fine with either. If this is an issue for you, get a Hobbywing or the Speed Passion 2.1EX. Yes, I find this issue truly annoying.
Special thanks to EMRFactory and VBC Racing.
linkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
Tech Champion

The stock brake setting is virtually non-existent...once you bump it up I get plenty of brakes.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #14
Tech Elite

The thing about built in boosters is when they go bad your esc is worthless. I personally would rather replace a $3 booster than a $100+ esc
Old 10-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos2002 View Post
You can check our our website for more information and see winning and A Main set ups from IIC (International Indoor Champs) a few weeks ago. VTX1 results - 1st Expert WGT, 2nd 17.5 1/12, 5th in Mod 1/12, 10th in F1

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
These where all blinky classes ( except mod 1/12) so this info is not very helpful for boosted comparison.