Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BIBOY
Default what would you choose???

given the circumstances ...

Price of the kit
easy set up towards easier driveability
parts availability
durability

been out of the racing scene for a bit but decided to come back to what really made me love this hobby Touring cars!! now with all the advancement in lipo ,Radios and car design what would you guys choice and why would you choose that over another car? its been the issue i have been going thru .. sure I love the Tamiyas but because of the price and fast discontinuation of a kit that just came out kinda makes me hesitant just makes me wonder how long is the 417wx going to stay for. love the T4 knowing that its made by martin hudy means this cars is definitely tough / durable but if it would break parts are not easy to get.. but how about the TC6.1 worlds car wondering how this stacks up to the other car .. guys help me decide
BIBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I've seen the TC6, T3, Photon and the EX, among other cars be the fast car at my local track. There is some pretty serious talent in my area, and all cars are driven and can be fast. As for the T4, I have yet to see one at the shop or track, and Tamiya just isn't a popular chassis in these parts. I know the TC6.1 (haven't seen a worlds edition in person yet) is a fast car, as a few of the local fast guys stack them up against the xray's, Awesomatix, etc. I personally have a Tc6.1, and have been very impressed by the car, definitely not what I think is holding me back versus other drivers.

Good support in our area at local tracks and shops:
AE pretty much the cheapest and yet pretty durable
Xray very durable, does cost more than AE
Photon, seems to have the most brittle plastic although, maybe not since the Ex came out, as I see less breakage.... and its closer in price to the AE.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Tech Addict

thanks for the reply .. the AE is really an obvious choice right now parts, price etc .. my local hobby shop just texted me and said the t6.1 worlds just arrived in the store .. woohoo im checking it out today
Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Tech Adept

You're best off going with the car that's the easiest to get parts for. In your case going AE would be a great choice as you can get the parts easy, the car is a good one and it's one of the cheaper top end touring cars.

Durability can be important although a lot of the top cars don't have issues with that. If you can get the parts easy you've got nothing to worry about. As for setups, you should go with a car that others race at the same club - that way you can learn off them as to what works and what doesn't.
Fuzzi0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Tech Regular

All the cars on your list are excellent but the Xray gets my vote, its no faster or slower but it is the most durable. There are half a dozen Xrays at my local club that run 10.5 boosted, the track markings are very unforgiving, been some heavy hits, not seen a single Xray breakage this year.

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Tech Addict

thanks so much guys .. awesome response .. I'm looking at the AE later today
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Ae
Austin214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Tamiya for sure! You can always find tamiya parts at any serious track or hobby shop, and their quality is consistent. The geometry has actually been the same for the last 4-5 years. I only see them tweaking chassis design and motor mount to adapt to lipo batteries, otherwise 416 through even the 417 V5 are VERY SIMILAR even sharing a lot of parts. I can't say the same for AE. The Tamiya cars seem to be dialed around here in SoCal from track to track like TAMIYA, TQ RC and Ventura as well as a lot of setups online especially for those tracks.

I'm actually switching to offroad and selling my second almost new(ran 15 packs exclusively on carpet) 417x which can also be upgraded to the V5 for $250 with a Reedy 17.5 motor.

Let me know I'm at TQ RC a lot.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=Racing4Evo;11329181]Tamiya for sure! You can always find tamiya parts at any serious track or hobby shop,
QUOTE]

You will need them

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote