R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #166
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Flack

You guys are out of control... definetly not short on EGO in this thread.

I think one of the biggest reasons people dont want to move up to mod is the amount of work it takes to be competitive at the top level of our sport. Stepping up to mod this year really made me learn (the hard way), how much work it actually takes to be fast in modified. Last year, and the year before that were very good years for me in stock but I dont think I worked 1/4 as hard as I did this year to bash around in the B and C mains in mod.

Nobody likes going from the A to the B or C-mains and thats why stock is starting to look like mod with the same 10 guys in the main at every race. Thats not what this hobby needs. Your average "Joe Racer" is gonna get sick of competing for his spot in the D main and will eventually get frustrated and quit. Like so many have said already, stock is a stepping stone and should continue to be viewed as one.
Bobby Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:59 PM   #167

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

I have been running an 8X1 for the past 5 weeks, starting to get used to mod
Old 03-27-2005, 12:14 AM   #168
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Flack
Your average "Joe Racer" is gonna get sick of competing for his spot in the D main and will eventually get frustrated and quit. Like so many have said already, stock is a stepping stone and should continue to be viewed as one.
Thanks Bobby, I agree- let the slow chumps like me get a spot in the C main instead of the E...
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:01 AM   #169
Tech Master

Bobby has made a very definate point that I think everyone needs to recognize - Running in the mod class takes more set-up knowledge and car control. I think a big problem is that a class like 19t has not been utilized as a stepping stone and jumping from stock to mod is a HUGE step and in most cases is very difficult to adjust to. If a "stock" racer tries to run mod and struggles, they usually say screw this and return to stock as it is difficult to go from winning races to being bounced around in the D-B mains in mod. The "Pro" drivers need to be shuffled out of 19T and the drivers like Smyka, Cuffs, Lopez can work on their skills in a faster environment to take on the "Pro" drivers.

In terms of 19T rules I think the oval 19T rules would help the class be even more as people who compete in in would be using modified teardowns that they can easily throw a mod arm in and practice or race on a club level. The current standard makes everyone buy different motors for 19T and mod......

Toso - Great job at the Nats!!

xxxkat - I understand that but there shouldn't be a paid salary or bonus $$ for what I consider a "Semi-Pro" to run the stock class at these events. Club racing is a different story but maybe if things were changed as far as the layout of these large events, with rules in place with a form of ranking system then maybe more people would be challenged to move up through the ranks and race 19T and mod....

We just don't have a strong foundation to help new or younger drivers to work up through levels of competition so that the jump isn't so huge to run on a Pro level. Until we realize this and do something about it we are going to see the same trend we saw at the last Worlds.....
Old 03-27-2005, 10:38 AM   #170
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Flack
You guys are out of control... definetly not short on EGO in this thread.

I think one of the biggest reasons people dont want to move up to mod is the amount of work it takes to be competitive at the top level of our sport. Stepping up to mod this year really made me learn (the hard way), how much work it actually takes to be fast in modified. Last year, and the year before that were very good years for me in stock but I dont think I worked 1/4 as hard as I did this year to bash around in the B and C mains in mod.

Nobody likes going from the A to the B or C-mains and thats why stock is starting to look like mod with the same 10 guys in the main at every race. Thats not what this hobby needs. Your average "Joe Racer" is gonna get sick of competing for his spot in the D main and will eventually get frustrated and quit. Like so many have said already, stock is a stepping stone and should continue to be viewed as one.
Bobby I hope the EGO thing wasn't thrown at me, I don't want to even say any more here, its stupid, I will see ya at the next race. later
Chris Tosolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:38 AM   #171
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
Bobby has made a very definate point that I think everyone needs to recognize - Running in the mod class takes more set-up knowledge and car control. I think a big problem is that a class like 19t has not been utilized as a stepping stone and jumping from stock to mod is a HUGE step and in most cases is very difficult to adjust to. If a "stock" racer tries to run mod and struggles, they usually say screw this and return to stock as it is difficult to go from winning races to being bounced around in the D-B mains in mod. The "Pro" drivers need to be shuffled out of 19T and the drivers like Smyka, Cuffs, Lopez can work on their skills in a faster environment to take on the "Pro" drivers.

In terms of 19T rules I think the oval 19T rules would help the class be even more as people who compete in in would be using modified teardowns that they can easily throw a mod arm in and practice or race on a club level. The current standard makes everyone buy different motors for 19T and mod......

Toso - Great job at the Nats!!

xxxkat - I understand that but there shouldn't be a paid salary or bonus $$ for what I consider a "Semi-Pro" to run the stock class at these events. Club racing is a different story but maybe if things were changed as far as the layout of these large events, with rules in place with a form of ranking system then maybe more people would be challenged to move up through the ranks and race 19T and mod....

We just don't have a strong foundation to help new or younger drivers to work up through levels of competition so that the jump isn't so huge to run on a Pro level. Until we realize this and do something about it we are going to see the same trend we saw at the last Worlds.....
thanks Josh! good luck with the little one.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #172
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Tosolini
thanks Josh! good luck with the little one.
sorry one more thing, I have no problem getting out of 19t. I only ran it because sponcers wanted me to, thats how it all started for me.
later, Toso
Old 03-27-2005, 10:55 AM   #173
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Tosolini
sorry one more thing, I have no problem getting out of 19t. I only ran it because sponcers wanted me to, thats how it all started for me.
That's a good point, and one that Josh (and others) mentioned as well. Five and ten years ago, the only races you saw in magazine ads were Modified National and World Championships. Now, you see full page ads dedicated to Stock and 19T wins. A "National Championship" doesn't mean mod anymore; somebody can win Novice at a Nationals (supposing it existed) and you'd probably see it in an advertisement somewhere. We're national champs!

Stock is more competitive than ever before, and it's certainly worth something when a manufacturer wins the class, but as long as the manufacturers (and matchers, tuners, etc) keep trying to cover as many classes as possible (stock, 19T, mod, brushless, whatever) we'll keep seeing good drivers stick around in stock.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:03 AM   #174
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Josh, As a racer and soon to be Track owner(I'm building one right now) What is the best way to encourage local racers to take that step,The biggest complaint on mod is the cost,I think brushless could be a way,but it's not an easy class to push.Most of the racers(at least in my area)do not have the skill level to really race mod,truth hurts..I would include myself in the "dont belong in mod".. I'm fine in stock and 19 but just dont have the skills to step up.. Their are about 8 that have the skills but about 3 have the money..so everyone just runs 19 wind..aka: club mod.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:20 PM   #175
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Flack

Tos... No, not to you at all. You let your results speak for themselves, you dont have to come on here and list your resume like others have done. See ya at the reedy race.
Bobby Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:48 PM   #176
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

As a stock racer I really enjoyed running 19t at the novak race against all of the pro's. And then at the nats last week it was the same situation. Its a pretty much no pressure deal since I know at least for myself it was just cool to be racing with all of the pro's, and having the motors basically be fast stock motors allowed alot of the stock guys to make pretty good motor and be competitive with the mod guys. Which to me, i enjoyed alot more than running stock. 19t is a good way of getting stock guys to move up and learn to start running faster/mod, and it works as a nice inbetween class, IMO at least...
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #177
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Stock is more competitive than ever before, and it's certainly worth something when a manufacturer wins the class, but as long as the manufacturers (and matchers, tuners, etc) keep trying to cover as many classes as possible (stock, 19T, mod, brushless, whatever) we'll keep seeing good drivers stick around in stock.
Unfortunately that is what it has come down to being the manufactures are taking credit for the win when in stock it should be all on the driver not the equipment that they have. The addition to that is the manufactures then keep wanting those drivers in stock instead of pushing them to move up to 19t and mod to be the next representative of that company at the highest level of our sport.
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #178
Tech Regular

The rules should be changed so that you can only one 1 tc class and one 1/12 class. offer stock(non sponsored drivers), 19t(drivers who are sponsored but have real jobs too),mod(pro drivers who get paid to race and anyone who thinks they have something for them). this would help 1/12 scale grow also.
TJ Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 02:11 PM   #179
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
Has anyone noticed that as a country, the US has been taking a pounding from overseas drivers??? Why?? Because stock racers are content making $$ and being put in ads for a class that has turned into the exact oposite thing it was intended to be. No one is moving up or stepping up to the next level
Like you said Josh.... people get content with the perks.

Top stock drivers didn't get good overnight, so getting good in Modified isn't going to be overnight. A lot more work and time to be at the highest level. It just takes time....... just like it did to get to the Top of the stock class.

Sometimes you have to step down....... to eventually step up.

Jeff
Old 03-27-2005, 02:16 PM   #180
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ Bradley
The rules should be changed so that you can only one 1 tc class and one 1/12 class. offer stock(non sponsored drivers), 19t(drivers who are sponsored but have real jobs too),mod(pro drivers who get paid to race and anyone who thinks they have something for them). this would help 1/12 scale grow also.
I agree and I think the rules were originally written this way but changed to allow the factory guys to run in 19t. It's easy you run stock TC and stock 12th, 19t TC and 19t 12th, or masters TC and masters 12th. But no combination of them.
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote