R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jack Smash
[B]Privateers will do better against the sponsored guys when they realize it isn't the equipment that separates them. You can buy equipment that is good enough to run with the Pros. It is the preparation, tuning, and driving ability that separates them.

In 1/12th Scale Stock Carpet Racing It Comes Down to .1 Per lap You Can Bet I would Like the Bigger voltage Batteries some of the Other Racers Get. But Your right I usually Beat them With the Hobbytown Stuff. By the way .1 for 60 Laps Equals about 6 Seconds Almost a Lap!!!!!! I have a Hard time Buying the Sponsored Guys get the Same Junk We Get...
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:39 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

You can believe it if you want. I have run for a few different motor and battery companies. The stuff I have run is exactly the stuff you can buy. When I ran for Twister Motors, I would sometimes get specific winds for specific tracks but most of the time my stuff came in a retail package. With both Axiom and Surge, my stuff comes from the items ready to be shipped to customers or retailers. I run Stage 3 Surge packs. You can buy Stage 4 which is better than what I run. I am never hurting for speed or runtime.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:46 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Smash
You can believe it if you want. I have run for a few different motor and battery companies. The stuff I have run is exactly the stuff you can buy. When I ran for Twister Motors, I would sometimes get specific winds for specific tracks but most of the time my stuff came in a retail package. With both Axiom and Surge, my stuff comes from the items ready to be shipped to customers or retailers. I run Stage 3 Surge packs. You can buy Stage 4 which is better than what I run. I am never hurting for speed or runtime.
I am not Taking anything away From Anybody. All that I am Saying is that Little Edge Can Help You Run Better. I am also Glad Roar is Approving Things That Make Our Hobby Cheaper. Who Has the Best Batteries Then? I want'em
Old 03-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

www.surgeworldwide.com
Old 03-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Is this the Ride, I am looking For? I am a Real fast Guy From Central Ohio. Plllllllleassssse I will be a Good Positive roll Model for the Newbies. I only Cuss Alot but all the Newbies Are comfortable bringing Me their Stuff to Work On.. I am Not as Fast as Ray Huang though....Yet
Old 03-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Dax-thanks-but I am NOwhere near fast enough. Maybe never will be-sigh....

I have to say-that now-a-days you CAN get killer packs over the counter that will run with the best packs out there. Reason is-the difference between say a 1.166 to 1.174 is noticeable on the track. I have both. But the difference between a 1.174 and 1.178 is not noticeable. OK-maybe noticeable when everything else you can say is dialed.

Danny @ SMC sent a case of batteries to the US Indoor Champs hobbyshop that was filled with 1.174v @35 amp packs.

As someone else stated-the packs EA Motorsports brought to the Snowbirds were amazing. I bought 4 packs of them. All 1.172 to 1.174 volatge @ 35 amps too.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
Dax-thanks-but I am NOwhere near fast enough. Maybe never will be-sigh....

I have to say-that now-a-days you CAN get killer packs over the counter that will run with the best packs out there. Reason is-the difference between say a 1.166 to 1.174 is noticeable on the track. I have both. But the difference between a 1.174 and 1.178 is not noticeable. OK-maybe noticeable when everything else you can say is dialed.

Danny @ SMC sent a case of batteries to the US Indoor Champs hobbyshop that was filled with 1.174v @35 amp packs.

As someone else stated-the packs EA Motorsports brought to the Snowbirds were amazing. I bought 4 packs of them. All 1.172 to 1.174 volatge @ 35 amps too.
I don't wanna hear that "I'm not fast" crap. You were the only one who had anything for the bearded wonder in Masters TC Qualifying at the Champs. Your wealth of set-up knowledge is up there as well. Now if you'd only pick ONE tc and stick with it, you'd be unstoppable.

Dax, I'm probably going to run Touring Car in two weeks. You're welcome to run my 12th scale packs that weekend if I just run TC. You'd be better off with the stuff that Brad BOUGHT from Tony though........
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #23
drx
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to drx

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Joe
It's hard enough to get new people to do this...and when they find out what's really involved, equipment-wise...they run screaming for the door.
I don't think cost should be or needs to be a determining factor in getting new people to the track.

While RC racing does cost money, compared to other types of racing it is DIRT CHEAP. For the cost of a new roller kart chassis most of us could get set up with some very good stuff and race for a year or two at club level. Figuring in other costs - motor, seat, safety gear, tires, wheels,tools, trailer, hauler (if we don't have one already), fuel, piut shelter, etc. You spend at least $6000 just to get set of for kart racing if you buy everything new.

Given 6-large to race an RC car, how long could you stretch it? A long time.

People need to be shown that for racing, it's pretty tough to get more bang for your buck than in RC. Yeah it will cost you, but if you wanna be a racer, try and find something cheaper.

Racing also needs to be presented as easy and fun. One reason I think people don't stick with RC racing is that it is neither fun nor easy. Tracks often cater to their experienced regulars and build tracks that are hard for rookies to drive. There's always a few old hands that sandbag in stock. The old hands kick the rookie's butts every week, and the game becomes frustrating, not fun.

The sport doesn't seem to promote itself well on a local or regional level. The sport waits for people to come to it, and doesn't do anything to inform the public of the sport and what it has to offer. If race clubs existed and had an active outreach/publicity program, things would change. Set up a table in a shopping mall, add some cars with clean bodies, maybe some home-rolled video on a thursday or friday night when there are young men women in abundance and you'll have people all over you for more information.

So, to move forward and get more people on the track, we should:

1. Downplay costs and put them in a proper perspective.

2. Just don't tell them it's fun and easy, make it fun and easy.

3. Get out as a group and show the unwashed masses how frikken cool this is.
drx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

I gotta pack My Stuff and go Practice!!!! Love you guys
Old 03-23-2005, 04:29 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

dmatter- I run the same equipment that any other guy at the track can get. It's already been said on here but I'll say it again, the reason the factory guys are fast is they're good. Plain and simple. They know what they're doing and most of them get more laps in a week than we get in a couple months. You were talking about 1/12 scale being within .1 sec a lap and that being a whole lap by the end of a race. Every time you hit a dot, you're probably dropping .2+ sec that lap. You hit a few dot's in a race, there goes the any advantage you may get. Watch most factory guys and they may hit a dot once or twice on a good run if that many times. It's all about driving, tuning, and maintaining equipment.

You see a lot of guys always saying that they want the gear the pro have so they can keep up with them. I'm telling you, it's not the equipment. PW would probably kick my butt on the track no matter what batteries, ESC etc... he was running.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:00 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default Re: Privateers

Quote:
Originally posted by dmatter
What Is Your Opinions (The Racers) on ROAR Legalizing Brushless Motors and Speed Controls? I Think They are Honestly Trying to Give the Privateers a Chance to Do well Against The Sponsored Guys!!! All we Need Now Are the new Batts 3600 3700 3800 and we Will Be able to Make Run Time and Hang in there With them.
Really does'nt matter what equipment they make legal it's skill ,setup,and consistency that makes the factory guys fast they could take the same equipment as everyone else and still throw the smack down,,just my opinion.

Steve eaves
Old 03-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #27
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Joe

LOL...good one about the whole dumbing down/afraid of technology thing...LOL...yeah, lets stick with the circa-1920 motors when a cheaper, more efficient, reliable and maintenance-free alternative is approved...who's really afraid of moving forward?
[/B]
Please read my post over and you will see I was not refering to running brushless as dumbing down the hobby. I was refering to trying to make it easier for privateers to keep up with the pro's...tat wouls lead to dumbing down the hobby.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:44 PM   #28
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Jack, you may run stage 3 cells but what he's getting at is that he can't purchase what sponsored drivers have access too. In one sense he is correct.....Surge has a stage that IS NOT for sale to the general public but rather reserved for team drivers....correct?

I see nothing wrong with this practice and each matcher seems to handle it a little differently. However, what most racers fail to realize is that the difference between 1.185's and 1.19's is only a 1/2 a thousandth of a volt per cell!! You're not gonna lose a race over that! I will say that sponsored drivers may have EASIER access to the best cells than joe average racer. Afterall, I do have access to 1.19's from PMR and those can be difficult to find in any real qtys off the shelf at a shop.

I'm hearing that practice makes the difference and that's very true to a large degree. I think it boils down to practice and the other crucial factor....set-up. Getting a chassis freed up, especially on carpet not only provides faster laps but longer runtime as well. The Pro's understand chassis dynamics and know exactly what changes to make and how it will effect their cars. Team drivers also have a large pool of knowledge to draw from at the big events. The ability to set-up a chassis correctly for the conditions and the ability to consistently drive the same fast lines is what separates them from everyone else. Of course access to free or less expensive cells doesn't exactly hurt either.

2016 & 2017 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
Please read my post over and you will see I was not refering to running brushless as dumbing down the hobby. I was refering to trying to make it easier for privateers to keep up with the pro's...tat wouls lead to dumbing down the hobby.
I'm sorry if I mis-read what you were saying.

I'm just looking for a way to maximize my fun/dollar*time ratio.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:01 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Pros are just awesome drivers. I love to watch them as they amaze me, not their equipment. As far as allowing brushless, what ya want to hold back technology? It's just the next new thing. Next people be complaing the people with the spectrum have more advantage b/c they can go farther without glitching... Just my opinion. Haha! Get a gasser, that's what I say!!

**edit** and anytime I've been beat, (often) I know it was my driving or lack of as the reason. Have fun fellas!!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote