Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Wouldn't Rubber Tires for 1/12 Scale Be a GOLD mine ? >

Wouldn't Rubber Tires for 1/12 Scale Be a GOLD mine ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Wouldn't Rubber Tires for 1/12 Scale Be a GOLD mine ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Wouldn't Rubber Tires for 1/12 Scale Be a GOLD mine ?

Why has There not been any Attempt by a tire manufacturer to Create a Rubber tire for the most poular class on the Planet?

It seems to me that in an attempt to simplify our sport ,removing the need to remove and reinstall your tires every other run would be beneficial.

I for one would jump with both feet back into this class if I was able to run foamless.

Dave.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbboy
Why has There not been any Attempt by a tire manufacturer to Create a Rubber tire for the most poular class on the Planet?

It seems to me that in an attempt to simplify our sport ,removing the need to remove and reinstall your tires every other run would be beneficial.

I for one would jump with both feet back into this class if I was able to run foamless.

Dave.
12th rubber tires = ...lol
Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
12th rubber tires = ...lol
+1
Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is it April 1st already?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

It would die shortly there after....rubber would compromise the cars traction so badly it would suck to drive.....
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

rubber capped concrete oval only. don't even try them on carpet.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Dave.
Already been done:

GT500
Video

It could be a great way to revive 1/12 outdoors.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default why would that be so bad?

so, I run 1/12th, going back to the beginning actually, why would a tire that ran more consistently be a bad thing? Yes, we are all in the habit of truing tires and tuning around that as well, but if there was a tire that stayed the same size, would that be so bad? Is it that heat cycles or other factors that limit how many good runs you get an issue? So, is it thought that other than truing for size, foam is actually more consistent?

To tell you the truth, saucing with the chemicals we do bothers me even more. I have always wished we could just go out with a car, pan cars and TC's, and warmed up the tires as I used to in real racing, and just relied only on that for tire prep.

We have a very thriving 1/12 program going, and in our discussions about why many like pan cars over TC, the fact that it takes less to get good performance, comes out often as a reason why one is liked over the other. Well, why wouldn't this idea follow with that, the thought of having a simple, consistent tire. Just because it has not been done successfully, yet, doesn't mean it should be frowned upon, or shouldn't happen. Actually, it is how it started out, we ran on molded tires in the beginning, the switch to foam came later. Damn slot car guys. Oh ya, I was one of them too.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Funny, I have over 100 capped 12th scale tires from BSR that I can't even give away..
Old 12-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

One of the reasons I always liked 12th scale was the fact that the class used Foam tires.

Foams just drive differently than rubber tires. They seem to produce their peak grip at less of a slip angle, and thus require a slightly different approach to driving than rubber tires.

12th scale is one of the few on-road classes that seems to be growing right now. Certainly not on asphalt, but it is thriving on carpet. I can only imagine what would happen if a rule change of this magnitude were to be implemented.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Already been done:

GT500
Video

It could be a great way to revive 1/12 outdoors.
Please Consider adding the rearward pod modifications to the 12r5, and use a model of this body (but please, not this one.) Please create the American on-road ''slash'' class!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

a better question is why don't more companies make foam tires for mini fwd racing. i know of only one. mini fwd and 4wd is a blast on carpet, with foams.
a real PIA with rubbers.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Dave.
There is already a 12th scale rubber tire class that is very popular in the states.
It's called Mini, you should check it out....
Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Because 1/12 is for guys that can't drive on rubber tires.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Because 1/12 is for guys that can't drive on rubber tires.
That's ridiculous, I have to drive on rubba tires to get to the track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.