R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default what will i need

hi

i used to be a member of my local club and have not been racing for about 4 years now due to work and other commitments. i was glad to find that there was still a club running in wrexham and that i could start again.

i used to race the 1/10th touring car in the 27t class. after trwaling through the gear i kept i have a xray T1R still in tact and just needs some tlc which will get me going for the indoor racing.

after trawling through books and the internet i can see that things have moved on regards the batteries, motors and radios along with the cars. also i see that there dosent seem to be a 27t class so whats replaced that.

just woundering if there is any advice you could give on the above to get going and what i would need to start racing in the 27t turn class what ever that is now.
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewd View Post
hi

i used to be a member of my local club and have not been racing for about 4 years now due to work and other commitments. i was glad to find that there was still a club running in wrexham and that i could start again.

i used to race the 1/10th touring car in the 27t class. after trwaling through the gear i kept i have a xray T1R still in tact and just needs some tlc which will get me going for the indoor racing.

after trawling through books and the internet i can see that things have moved on regards the batteries, motors and radios along with the cars. also i see that there dosent seem to be a 27t class so whats replaced that.

just woundering if there is any advice you could give on the above to get going and what i would need to start racing in the 27t turn class what ever that is now.
I know it seems to be a standard answer on here, but get down to the club and ask what there racing and take it from there.
The current motor specs seem to almost be regonial so they could be running
21.5 turn
17.5 turn
13.5 turn
All brushless and either with or without dynamic timing being added by the esc.
A couple of LiPo batteries of around 5000mah 50C should be fine as cells are almost extinct now and of course a LiPo compatable charger and charging sack. If you have some cells that are still serviceable then they will be fine to get you going again.
HTH
Mark
markrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the help
Old 10-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Tech Regular

In real terms it has never been cheaper to get into racing, brushless motors and speedos are not that expensive (less than 100) if you only race a club level and much more reliable than they were 5-10 years ago. 13.5 brushless non boosted is about par with a hot 27t DC motor, but if you put boost (timing) on the speedo they are really quiet fast.

Cheap lipos (only need 2) can be had for less than 25, and a charger about 40 I bought a cheap 2.4g radio and reciever (don't need crystals and won't get interferance) with steering, dual and throttle rates, adjustable end points for 25 posted.

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

thanks bucket boy it does seem that its the thing tgo go down in cost is racing when everything else is going up
Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Definitely go to the club and see if they have a motor class or limit.

I would also add that 17.5 'blinky' (non timing) is similar to 27t, 13.5's are now a lot faster than when they were first introduced.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote