R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This is going to be long...

Nationals guidelines and checklist:
Obivously, this exists, but adding a checkilist of tasks for the preparation, raceday, etc. and a general time line would be a great addition. Someone mentioned the checklist before (Rich Chang?) this is a great idea. A "typical day " for a track owner running a national might be a good ides. Just set down the customary practiices in writing. Successful track owners could also be called upon to provide advice for having a race that doesn't kill the business.

Also, maybe a video of a car being teched could be made. Nothing fancy, just get a camera and have somebody tech a car peoperly so the hosts have an idea of how to use the tools and what is done.

Recommendations on electrical service might also be helpful. 200 soldering irons all on at the same time is a huge load, let alone everthing else.

A list of past events hosted, along with the names of the sponsored drivers (at least some of them) that attended. Those drivers could give an opinion of how things were run.

Paid race director: An experienced race director could be hired for the weekend.
Manufacturers should contribute to a fund to make this happen. ROAR could then hire someone for the weekend. Obiously, if the host had this type of person on staff (Trackside/Scotty E, RC MAdness/Chris Marcy), this could be waived.

Paid ROAR Administrators:
As Todd Hodge brought up this needs to happen. Even if it is one person to attend all races with the proper tech equipment and scoring gear. Todd's Ideas for other duties are excellent. Perhaps we could gain additional exposure this way.

At the barest minimum, we need to have something to ensure that an official's way is paid to the race

Increased regional activity:
A regional points system, letting racers all over the region compete & gain points for a championship from their home tracks. This has already been proposed to ROAR. If the major scoring software producers could add a option to markup the results for internet transmission, it could all be handled via database. Tony (SKipGear) Hines had a complete proposal, including a programmer willing to create the software for the points calculations.

Qualifying into the nationals from regionals also would create a greater aura of prestige to the nationals. Even if the nationals became slightly smaller, it would allow longer range planning by both the track operator and thr racer.

Both of these ideas create greater value in the ROAR membership for the racer. ROAR becomes more than just insurance. Many racers never attend a national race. Many do attend races close to home. Regionals which become an "event" will increase membership. Local racing for a championship that includes a large group of tracks increases local excitement. The ROAR product becomes something that is wanted, vs. something that is a a requirement to race at one event a year.

Online voting:
If you increase the reliability and ease of voting, this would instantly raise turnout for votes. It 'is that simple.

Also, a once a year "referendum" vote could be taken for major rule changes, or ideas (e.g. Should we create rules for the "TMAXX" style Monster Trucks?). More direct involvement, without paralyzing the organization.

Volunteer "want ads"-
Add a section to the website to ask for volunteers for both long term jobs like commitee members, and short term like tech help for a couple days at a regional race, etc. Break it down by region. I think a lot of people would like to help out , but they don't know what to do. Some don't have the time for a big commitment. If they had something they could contribute for a few days, or a day or whatever, that is a start.

Rob King

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

i like what is being posted here alot more than the things on the nats. thread. i went to the nats once(it was my first big race) and i had a good time, but i needed a roar membership to race. so i paid my more money to race, but i never got any of the things people are saying i should received.

what does roar do exactly? other than decide what is leagle. it would be nice to have some more info. i have been racing for 17 years and never asked or was told what they do. i read the money we pay is for insurance, but who is it for?

i like the idea of a form of qualifing for nats. then reginal events more important. also the idea of checking the club more closely before given the nats. a club should get reveiwed somehow after a reginal or a large club race to see if they can handle it.

i hope last weekend was just a fluke, i have heard good things on the last few nats. i hope it will help to act on some of the ideas being posted.

jeff
hyena boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:55 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Points qualifying likely isn't going to happen - it's been discussed into the ground and, although I've seen a few plans that I thought would be viable, people who know more than I do (easy enough! ) showed me why they really aren't very feasible.

Dropping the RevUP isn't going to get enough money for the salary of a full-time Race Director or even enough to pay one for all the National races - although I don't disagree with the idea.

ROAR IS, however, required to send out something, via snail mail - it's in their By-Laws. It's a valid thing, although in its present form, it sucks. I've presented a couple of things that I think could help.

Consistent Tech Boxes/Instruments as well as a Tech Packet is in the works. It's NEEDED and I've been heckling people about it for a while and we're working on it.

RobK - your "classified" idea is GREAT. I'll make sure that others see it.

I'm not a ROAR official - I'm only on the Electric On-Road Rules Committee. . . but I have gotten involved and have opened my big mouth. Now my big push seems to be getting other people with big mouths ( ) to get involved too.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #19
TLRacing

Default Re: Re: What ROAR needs!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
I don't disagree with the paid position thing - I think it's a good idea.

Unfortunately, ROAR doesn't bring in enough funds to create 2 or 3 salaried positions that could pay enough. . . I don't have this issue's RevUP, which has an interim budget, but I do know that there isn't $60K in there for a full time employee.

(($60K = $50K plus benefits. If you want a full time person who is going to do a good job, you're going to have to pay him/her a decent salary. . .and $50K is probably low.))

btw - you should post more on the on-road rules board, Todd.
Post on what board? Sorry am I missing something.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:30 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance72RC

Well, you asked for opinions and thoughts as to what can be done to help ROAR so I thought i'd share my ideas and see what you think. I've been racing for over 20 yrs now. I've seen and been a member since back in it's grassroots. My father was a regional director for at least 10 yrs so I know guys that volunteering isn't as easy as everyone seems to think. People weren't always happy with his decisions. But, he still worked his hardest and did his best during his tenure. So, the remark of "i'm just a volunteer" I can understand. Alot of these people do their best and try their hardest to make the members happy.
ROAR started back with the grassroots of racing. But, as the industry grew and ROAR membership grew, ROAR didn't. With as big as the hobby is now ROAR needs to needs to move from a grassroots organization and begin to deal with the growth by beginning to act like a business. First I believe that the Executive comittee that is in place now needs to be removed. I'm not saying to no longer have an executive comittee. But I believe the executive committee should not be allowed to be made up of anyone involved with manufacturing or distributing. this way there are no outside financial interests that may cause unjust rule changes. Second I believe that there should be at least two individuals payed a salary to run ROAR. If you can find members to actually work for ROAR. Then this is there actual job and not just a volunteer arrangement that they do on the side of their normal job. Now i'm not meaning to disrespect the current executive committee. We still need thier help as much as possible. These members i'd ask to be a part of technical committee to help us come up with rules. Also as our salaried president and vice president would be required to keep in contact with all the manufacturers on a monthly basis. This way we can hear suggestions from all on how we can make better rules and all work together to grow the industry and sport.
As far as Regional and National event. There needs to be specific tech equipment and guidlines made out for tech. This equipment and guidlines will be the standard. I believe that ROAR should send two officials to every national event. The facilities holding the event will still need to supply their own staff. But one official will overlook all of tech. The other overlooking the running of the race and making sure that it stays running in a timely manner. Any sort of tech violations or protests, these officials will determine the final decision and will be required to do it in a quick and timely manner. Also ROAR needs a promotions team to work with manufacturers, distributors and magazines to gain sponsors for and promote our races. It's disturbing to see so many manufacturers describing how disappointed in our National races. But I also don't see nearly as many of them sponsoring ROAR events. For example I attended the off road stock nationals last year. There was only five manufacturers sponsoring this race. Whereas Snowbirds had 50 manufacturers sponsoring the race. Everyone wants better locations to put in for National events. ROAR and the manufacturers need to come together and sponsor these races so the tracks know that these races are important to the manufacturer as well and attract better facilities.
I know that if given another few days I could add to this. But, this will give everyone something to think about for now. Sorry for taking up so much room. But, I appreciate those that take the time to truly read it all.
Lance72RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:45 PM   #21
Tech Master

We do realize that there's a ROAR forum here...where this should be posted.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:57 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance72RC

i've actually posted mine in the ROAR forum as well. Figuring if they didn't see the thread here, they'd see my ideas there.
Lance72RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:13 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Derek, I was just about to say the same thing, shouldn't the ROAR discussion be taking place on their forum ? I will cc this there too.
Lance, agree with you.

One thing that I believe is very important is to increase participation at the local level in R/C racing. It seems to me that hobby shops look at racing as an expense that is terminated for finanical reasons sooner or later. This is not a healthy thing for the sport.
In my opinion, having a pooled national resource that can promote and increase rc racing participation should be a top priority of ROAR, and this would lead to a full-time paid leadership. If tracks knew they would get to host large profitable events on a regular basis, you would see more and better tracks, which results in more drivers and better equipment.
I don't see why ROAR could not take this on as a full-time position, I'm certain it would get the financial support if it can come through with increases in participation and the raising of the bar for the sport.

Cheers,
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:46 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

You asked for it, you got it...

How about a Web Site that validates with the W3.org?

The site loads slowly with a Cable Modem and has lots of errors. Copyright 105? AD or BC?

I'd like to see a faster load and a crisper look.

Also, there are many expired bodies, and bodies that are expiring this year listed on the pages.

For someone who buys several bodies at a time and wants to stick with one for each car I race, I want to know what the next legal body is after that expiration date.This way I don't show up at a race and find out then.

Why not have a Manufacturers Rep contact the Big Wigs and find out the inside scoop on the new bodies for next year?

What is the big deal about taking so long to approve batteries that are easily acquired by anyone from several manufacturers?

How about looking further ahead, being proactive instead of being reactive?

ROAR is a good organization but, it is not really practiced anywhere I have seen a race.

Most folks usually follow the club rules on batteries and bodies so Mr. Deep Pockets will not win the race with a monetary advantage.

Experience a sanctioned regatta by the AMYA and you will learn a lot.
rcinsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:24 AM   #25
Tech Master

Save money......... well, instead of printing RevUP each month and sending it out. (which i think i've received a couple times in the last couple years) How about posting everything online?

It is easy to create scripts that will post each regions information by login. Each ROAR Region Director is responsible for logging in and submitting information. If no info is submitted you'll notice.

Now, perhaps not everyone has internet so you could choose an option when joining..... RevUP online or on paper. It would be easy to have an actual mailing database for people that request printed stuff.

Online Renewal, online entries for Nationals, online..... online.... online.

Jeff
Old 03-23-2005, 10:07 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Jeff -

I know a lot of racers who are not online. NOT publishing some form of RevUP would be discriminating against them.

That being said, I do agree that the RU should be changed into a more efficient format- I know that I don't really care about the other regions. Let's make the RU a smaller, tighter publication that has info that people want to read!!! It would be much less expensive, could go pre-sort and still get to us on time (3rd class is horrid. . .) and be something that we would READ.

One last thing, though - the By Laws state that ROAR must send out something.

-------------

rcinsight - the web site is under redesign. It has been this way for a while, but a guy I know has personally taken it over and should have at least a static version up VERY soon. Trust me, it's a long story. . . but actions have been taken to rectify it.

------------

Lance - I think that only one member of the ExComm is an industry guy and he's not one of the big guys. Fred's son is Rick Howart, but Fred's the paid Administrator and, according to the by-laws, he is ex-officio and, thus, has no vote. Otherwise, you have non-industry hobbyists on the ExCom.

But I do believe that you have very good points.

-------------

This type of conversation does go on in the ROAR boards. I don't think, personally, that it should only go on there. If it stay civil, why not talk about it where we want? I know that I didn't even KNOW there was a ROAR board until someone pointed me there in December. . .
Old 03-23-2005, 10:07 AM   #27
Tech Elite

I guess that was more than "one last thing". . .
Old 03-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Problem with the ROAR boards at this point, is we get selective dicussion on what and what does not get to stay on the threads........EDIT OR DELETE posts happen often....

Free discussion needs to be unrestricted as long as it stays civil......not sure that will happen there, but I know it will over here.

Later EddieO
Old 03-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

And a simple way to get more funds......

Raise the membership fee......I think if explained right, people would not have a problem with it.

And then, raise the entry fees to nationals....which will allow the clubs to make a little more and ROAR can take a cut of it, so they can afford to send reps to the races like Todd suggested.....

This isn't brain surgery folks......if the federal, state, and local goverments can nail us each more for a few more bucks.....so can ROAR. It's all about presenatation....and follow through.

Later EddieO
Old 03-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Great! People are already saying ROAR doesn't provide enough, and Eddie wants to charge more for it.

Raising entry fees: A Long Island track hosted the Region 1 carpet race. The owner originally posted a high entry fee, which would have included a handout stock motor. He was drawn, quartered, tarred, and feathered on the internet for it. He made stock bring your own motor, and gave out the cheapest looking t-shirts you've ever seen.

If ROAR volunteers were treated the same way volunteer firefighters are, racing would be a whole lot better.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote