R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-21-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Paul_TC4
Default Motor alignment Tool

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get the Trintiy one: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHPJ2&P=7

Is it worth it? Would appreciate the quick responce.

Thanks, Paul
Paul_TC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say yes it is worth having one, however get the racers edge one, its half the price
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Check out the big jims bar if you can find one they work very well.
I think paradigm sells them online
snopro31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by berger
I would say yes it is worth having one, however get the racers edge one, its half the price
YES, alignment bars are worth it. I have used both alignments bars in question and I prefer the Big Jim alignment bar. It is more expensive but that's because it's made out of stainless steel and it is much more precise. It actually fits in the brush hoods with absolutly zero play! They are available from Team Paradigm.
Worth the money!!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Steve Bahnatka

paul_tc4 ,the trinity one works very well.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Buy Big Jim's if you buy any...

Only problem is Jim is out of stock atm (I should know I have been waiting 2 weeks for him to get some stock in, and nothing yet)

If buying something other than Jim's buy the cheapest you can find, and place an order with Jim so that when he does have stock, you don't care about having spent money on the cheap one.

I am about to see if I can find a cheap one as I have too many motors sitting around waiting for an alignment bar. Glad I didn't order Jim's book, as I would be getting it along with the bar in time for the next winter season.
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by MartynD
Buy Big Jim's if you buy any...

Only problem is Jim is out of stock atm (I should know I have been waiting 2 weeks for him to get some stock in, and nothing yet)

If buying something other than Jim's buy the cheapest you can find, and place an order with Jim so that when he does have stock, you don't care about having spent money on the cheap one.

I am about to see if I can find a cheap one as I have too many motors sitting around waiting for an alignment bar. Glad I didn't order Jim's book, as I would be getting it along with the bar in time for the next winter season.
Hurry up and get a bar, my motors need work too
Toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Paul_TC4

Ok, I just ordered the Trinity one. I'll see how it goes. I would imagine that it comes with instructions right? Do I align both hoods or just one at a time. I would appreciate any other tips as well.

Thanks.
Paul_TC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Paul u align one side at a time, do not just aim to have both hoods aligned across from each other!

Take a set of new brushes (the exact kind you intend to run in your motor), and keep these just for aligning purposes. Adjust each side so that the comm wears the brush in the exact center, run the motor for just a few seconds and check the alignment brushes, if its not in the center, adjust. I have heard of using a brass welding 'toothbrush' to remove the wear marks on the brush between tests, another method would be to use a marker to put a mark across the brush face and see where it wears.

A proper sized bar will allow you to size the hoods as well, where as a smaller bar (just about anything that doesn't say Big Jim on it) you cannot use for this purpose, as any attempt at sizing could lead to bent hoods.

Even without a bar Kevin, I have done quite a bit of work to my stock motors, can't wait to see how they work come saturday! Though I am gettin seriously pissed at BJ for not sending me a bar, I know I could accomplish so much more with one, oh and a lathe... but thats getting closer by the day.
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

hey people
i was having trouble working out the best and most accurate method of doing this and i got put onto this site via a mate its worth a look i reccomend using a shagged set of brushes to file obviously. although i would insert the bushings/bearings seperately so you dont distort the arm when reinstalling etc. if you have a bearing puller use it to reinstall the bushes.
karndriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:49 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html

sorry not awake yet
karndriver is offline   Reply With Quote