2 second slower

Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fuzzi0n View Post

tl;dr Get good at driving first, then think about tweaking the cars setup.
Having a good easy to drive baseline is uber important.

A new track near me recently opened up. I went up to check it out. One of the racers I knew asked me what I thought of his tc6. He had at least a thumb width of ride height, wasn't using the droop screws, didn't have his tweak correct, and his body wasn't trimmed properly.

I fixed all that I could without a setup station (I used an old spur gear to set droop), and he went out and immediately went a second a lap faster. Didn't spend a penny. Didn't practice a lap.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
Having a good easy to drive baseline is uber important.

A new track near me recently opened up. I went up to check it out. One of the racers I knew asked me what I thought of his tc6. He had at least a thumb width of ride height, wasn't using the droop screws, didn't have his tweak correct, and his body wasn't trimmed properly.

I fixed all that I could without a setup station (I used an old spur gear to set droop), and he went out and immediately went a second a lap faster. Didn't spend a penny. Didn't practice a lap.
+1

First thing is to get a car set up "properly", meaning, if your ride height on each corner is different, your front is loose, your rear is locked, you have no oil in your shocks, and your belt is way too tight, your steering throw is 30 degrees on the left and only 20 degrees on the right, you can't drive the car, no matter how much you practice. You need a predictable car, and if the only thing you can predict is that you don't know how it is going to come out of that corner when you put the power on, that's not predictable....

Get a "reasonable" setup. Balanced....proper....doesn't have to be "tweaked" just driveable..... Once you have it driveable, then practice practice practice, check your setup so that it hasn't changed through wear and tear/hitting things....practice some more, until your lap times are within 5%. Once you can hit that kind of consistency, THEN you can start tweaking. Otherwise, you will never know if the setup tweak was what made the difference, or did you just get a couple of lucky laps in....

Once your car is predictable, and your driving is predictable, THEN you can start tuning the car for those extra 1/4 seconds each lap....
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Without lap timer, can you feel if your car is going 1 second faster or slower?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b.wihardja View Post
Without lap timer, can you feel if your car is going 1 second faster or slower?
1 second, probably. .2 seconds, probably not. That being said, sometimes you can just tell when you're getting through a particular corner or sequence of corners faster or slower. Sometimes you know you just went faster through a corner because you're suddenly over-shooting the next one due to carrying more speed.

If there are other people on track, and you know how fast they are, you can also compare whether you're catching them, staying even, or losing ground.

You can also tell if you're making mistakes: taking corners too wide, hitting things, etc. If you're making mistakes, you're losing a lot of time, and that's the first thing to fix.

-Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service