Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which Radio.. Futaba 4PKS-Super R or Airtronics M12? >

Which Radio.. Futaba 4PKS-Super R or Airtronics M12?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Radio.. Futaba 4PKS-Super R or Airtronics M12?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Which Radio.. Futaba 4PKS-Super R or Airtronics M12?

Having a hard time deciding which radio to get. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kobiwan
Having a hard time deciding which radio to get. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
See if you can find a hobby shop that has both and hold both of them. Because of obvious reasons, I would vote for the 4PKSS, but the M12 is pretty nice too. It's all about personal preferences.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ehartman_49348
See if you can find a hobby shop that has both and hold both of them. Because of obvious reasons, I would vote for the 4PKSS, but the M12 is pretty nice too. It's all about personal preferences.
My local LHS closed down. I used to have a 4PKS, but I sold it. I got out of the hobby and now I'm getting back into it. I loved my Futaba but kind of wanted to try something different. From what I heard Airtronics are good radios as well. Not sure if I should just stick with what I know or go a different route.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

sounds like you already made up your mind. so just get the airtronics.
i came from futaba to airtronics, mainly cost driven as i didnt want a 4pl but im very very happy with my mt-4. i would probably get an m12 down the road, depends how many rx's i have by then.
airtronics rx's cost more than futaba rx's which is a consideration. but you can use any fh2-3-4 rx with it so if you dont wanna spend $140 on a 471, you can get a 744 or similar rx for say.. $89. less used.

futaba your limited to 603/604/614 models though they are cheaper.
futaba is 100% reliable. never ever ever had a runaway with it or loss of signal or any interferance period. my airtronics has been reliable SO FAR, though i had the odd wobble from interferance which hopefully was isolated to borrowing someone elses rx. of course, fh3/4 is faster on paper. in vrc my average laps became more consistant and fastest laps went up but that might also be a comfort thing. very comfortable, lightweight radio.

its also worth noting that the new menusystem for my mt4 and probably similar in the m12 is SO MUCH NICER than futaba's card catalog style of menus.
with chset menu you can change every option available for a channel in one place isntead of having to flip through all the different ones to do it.
the telemetry really doesnt work that well lol. rpm sensor isnt reliable, temp sensor seems ok. but thats a nitro car.

sorry for long post, just my impressions. mt4 is my first airtronics, 3pks was my second futaba. both futabas were excellent, and for the money spent on my airtronics, its above excellent. id have to find someone with an m12 and see if they'd let me do a race with it to feel if its worth $300 more.. but im still using it out of the box ha. set epa and brake atl, and nothing else.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like you already made up your mind.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Which radio has more connected feel to your vehicle? I got the kO Propo KIY and it's the best radio I have ever owned if the darn thing works but had so many issues with specially when the contacts points gets dirty you steering and throttle gets really erratic and it's very frustrating when it happens because it's very unpredictable. .. so now I'm on a market for a new radio I'm leaning more towards the Futaba 4PKS-R but I do also like the aitronics M12... If anyone has experienced with both radio please chime in..
Old 03-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

In my hand the 4PK feels better & I like the weight. I don't mind the menus and really like the new button that started on the 4PKS. Not sure which one you had? I've had both and I really didn't like the button on the original 4PK. I've had Airtronic radios but not from this generation. They had good service and I was always happy with their products but they did not feel balanced to me. Seems these things are a bit like cameras after you collect enough receivers it gets expensive to switch. At this level they are all good its just which do you like better and are there folks around with them that can help if you have questions?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

I order the Airtronics M12 it's easier navigate on the menu..
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both are top choices. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with either.

I use an m12 and also have an mt4 for a backup/loaner. I don't believe there is a faster radio than the m12 right now*.

*requires a specific rx and only certain servos to make full use of the very fastest response mode, but even with lower end electronics, it is lightning quick.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Tried them all and eventually came back to sanwa. Til this day I like the feel of m11x the most but I mainly use the m12 due to the response of the controller. It may be in my head that's its faster than anything else but my lap times seems to back it up. I have been using my m12 in a variety of environments and so far it's been running trouble free, I wish I could say that about the ko propo kiy.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Got the M12 today I was surprise for it being a lot bigger size wise it's a lot lighter than my KO Propo KIY..
Old 03-27-2014, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a 4PKS and an M12. The M12 is faster but not enough of a difference that most people will be able to utilize the extra speed.
The menu system is easier to navigate on the 4PKS for me and I really like the option of having the quick menu choices that you usually use, and that menu is customizable. That's probably more to do with me knowing the Futaba system as I've been using it for 7 years.
Feel is different between them but I do find it similar. I hated the M11 series in my hand. I had 2 of them and got rid of them just as quick. They just didn't feel right to me.
The receivers are slightly smaller with the Airtronics but I've never had issues fitting the 614 receivers into my TC or 1/12.

Basically it just comes down to feel. If you get the chance, local shops or tracks will be the best bet with feeling the radios and making up your mind, if you have that option.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
I have a 4PKS and an M12. The M12 is faster but not enough of a difference that most people will be able to utilize the extra speed.
The menu system is easier to navigate on the 4PKS for me and I really like the option of having the quick menu choices that you usually use, and that menu is customizable. That's probably more to do with me knowing the Futaba system as I've been using it for 7 years.
Feel is different between them but I do find it similar. I hated the M11 series in my hand. I had 2 of them and got rid of them just as quick. They just didn't feel right to me.
The receivers are slightly smaller with the Airtronics but I've never had issues fitting the 614 receivers into my TC or 1/12.

Basically it just comes down to feel. If you get the chance, local shops or tracks will be the best bet with feeling the radios and making up your mind, if you have that option.
+1

Last edited by NePTuS; 04-08-2014 at 12:22 PM.