R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default First RC car, spec class touring ?

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and new to the hobby. I did try some RC racing at my local club and really liked it. Now the question is, what would be a first car that will not break the bank to build and keep me in the hobby for good amount of time.

I am looking at the 1/10th scale stock touring and I am planning to race in the scale spec class.

Any suggestions about new or used ?

chasis? what make model and everything that goes with it..

Thanks in advance.
FourWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

The best option is always to get one of the cars that's popular at your track. That way you can get tips from more advanced drivers and when you happen to break something there is always hope that someone might have the part you broke in their pit box.

If you're looking for low budget cars then the Spec-R R1 looks like it'll be a good car at $290. It just came out though so keep an eye on the thread here to see if you might like it.

Another option would be the Sakura Zero S from 3Racing. There's a thread for that car here too that you should read. It's a nice car for ca. $100.
halldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A good second hand car can be a bargain. If one of the good drivers at the club you're at is updating that can be your best bet, sometimes they have a mountain of spares, and they'll sell it to you for next to nothing because you're getting into racing at their club and they'd rather not have the car sitting on the shelf.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #4

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I couldn't agree more with the above posts. Try to get what the locals are running so you have parts and support. Also, you can sometimes get a used race ready car for what a new roller will cost you. If you do go used, try to do a little research before handing over the cash and make sure there are still parts available for it. You can also talk with your local Hobby Store to verify what they have for support.

Be careful not to get tempted by a new RTR setup. Often these have decent chassis, but fairly low quality electronics and tires. You'll end up spending a lot more in the long run to make something like this competitive.

With budget in mind, the Associated TC4 and the XRay T3R are both good chassis. The TC4 is shaft driven and very durable. The T3R is belt driven and has more setup options. It's also around $60 more than the AE.

If I had to start all over and decided to go with new equipment and had a limited budget, I'd set it up like this:

AE TC4 (asphalt) - $175 or Xray T3R (carpet) - $235
Novak Edge combo - $150
Savox SC-1233 servo - $40
Futaba 3PL radio - $125
Tires - $60 (depends on class rules/surface)
Body - $30
Peak 4200 Mah battery - $40
Primal Peak Charger - $40

That comes to $660 and would get you racing. This doesn't include miscellaneous things like tax, paint, traction compound, body clips, etc which can add up pretty quickly. Likely, in time, you'd want to upgrade pretty much everything listed. You'd definitely want to toss some money at the TC4 to purchase upgrades. With this route, you'd have no spares and basically have an entry level setup.

To compare, I bought a complete XRay T3 properly setup for VTA class on here that included a Futaba 3PMX radio and Venom charger for just over $400. It came with 3 batteries and many spares.

Talk to your fellow local racers and your local Hobby Shop. You'll find that they will be able to give you the best advice and support. Plus, you will likely make quite a few new friends this way

Good luck!

www.hobbyplexraceway.com/
Ken's Graf/X's

Chris K: "They're challenging and 'different' in a different sorta' way! "
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The ARC R10 is a very good buy and so is the tc6.1.

RAB Hobbies - Central R/C
JAKE LISZKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Tech Adept

What is your budget? Are you starting from scratch (meaning, no battery, no charger, etc...)?

If you want new, look at the TC4 Club Racer or Sakura Zero S.

Here's a good article...
http://www.competitionx.com/how-to-a...ing-car-build/
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners View Post
What is your budget? Are you starting from scratch (meaning, no battery, no charger, etc...)?

If you want new, look at the TC4 Club Racer or Sakura Zero S.
Yes, I am very new to the hobby. I would say have just raced once with a loaner RTR car.

I currently do not have any equipment whatsoever so yeah I have to build everything from scratch.

What If I get the Associated TC4 Club racer kit and then add parts to it ? how much would that come out to be? is that a good way to begin ?

Would it be wise to get the Spektrum DX3c radio ?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I own 2 Sakura Zero S's and a TC4. The TC4 is a good place to start if you find a good deal. However, the Zero S is plainly superior, especially considering the price. All you really need to upgrade initially on the S is the motor mount, gear holder (to 19T), and turnbuckles. Altogether, that is about $50 on top of the kit price of $110ish.
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Oops! Double post!

Last edited by redbarton; 10-05-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I couldn't agree more with the above posts. Try to get what the locals are running so you have parts and support. Also, you can sometimes get a used race ready car for what a new roller will cost you. If you do go used, try to do a little research before handing over the cash and make sure there are still parts available for it. You can also talk with your local Hobby Store to verify what they have for support.

Be careful not to get tempted by a new RTR setup. Often these have decent chassis, but fairly low quality electronics and tires. You'll end up spending a lot more in the long run to make something like this competitive.

With budget in mind, the Associated TC4 and the XRay T3R are both good chassis. The TC4 is shaft driven and very durable. The T3R is belt driven and has more setup options. It's also around $60 more than the AE.

If I had to start all over and decided to go with new equipment and had a limited budget, I'd set it up like this:

AE TC4 (asphalt) - $175 or Xray T3R (carpet) - $235
Novak Edge combo - $150
Futaba 3PL radio - $125
Tires - $60 (depends on class rules/surface)
Body - $30

That comes to $660 and would get you racing. This doesn't include miscellaneous things like tax, paint, traction compound, body clips, etc which can add up pretty quickly. Likely, in time, you'd want to upgrade pretty much everything listed. You'd definitely want to toss some money at the TC4 to purchase upgrades. With this route, you'd have no spares and basically have an entry level setup.

To compare, I bought a complete XRay T3 properly setup for VTA class on here that included a Futaba 3PMX radio and Venom charger for just over $400. It came with 3 batteries and many spares.

Talk to your fellow local racers and your local Hobby Shop. You'll find that they will be able to give you the best advice and support. Plus, you will likely make quite a few new friends this way

Good luck!
Deja Vu,

That is a good info.

Btw, AE TC4 asphalt or carpet depends on the tires right ? is this the same as the Associated TC4 club racer ?

I am still learning how to drive the car so how about this setup?

AE TC4 Club racer - $149.99
silver can motor and ESC ? <-- how much does that cost ? approx $35?
Spektrum DX3c - $129
Tires - $24 (spec class, carpet racing)
Body - $30

Total approx cost: $487

And then once I get good at driving I can upgrade to Novak Edge combo (brushless motor and esc). does that work ?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
Tech Regular

The Xray t4 is coming out in the next week or two, that means the will be a lot of t3 12 ond older t3 11 coming up for sale S/H

IMO the Xray is the best culb car there is, its no faster than the others (no slower either) but get my vote because of its durability. The AE TC3 was a great car, the TC4 not so good I have had both but things have moved on in the past few years!

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Tech Adept

The Sakura Zero S seems to be a better race car than the TC4 stock. The TC4 seems to be a better basher that can hold up to some steer use (gravel/sand won't stop its shaft drive). Stock for stock in a novice race, or any of the high turn, or VTA spec races, both will compete with your driving and setup ability being 98% of the reason for your placement.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheels View Post
Deja Vu,

That is a good info.

Btw, AE TC4 asphalt or carpet depends on the tires right ? is this the same as the Associated TC4 club racer ?

Spektrum DX3c - $129
Body - $30

And then once I get good at driving I can upgrade to Novak Edge combo (brushless motor and esc). does that work ?

Thanks.
Don't do that. Move forward and go LiPo. Check out HobbyKing if you're on a budget. It should be about the same cost. Also, check out the Flysky GTB and GTC transmitters if you want to cut some costs.

A basic brushless motor and ESC should run you $100. Check out the link I posted above.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Regarding radios, I am not a big fan of Spektrum. I'd go with a Futaba 3PL or an Airtronics MX-Sport or MX-V before a DX3C.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheels View Post
Deja Vu,

That is a good info.

Spektrum DX3c - $129
Body - $30

Thanks.
Woo, more seattle racers!

Send me a PM, and let's chat. I've got some used gear that I want to part with, and would love to see it go to a new local racer.

Regarding your list above:
- I'd try and stretch to get a "real" race chassis. It'll be friendlier to wrench on and setup, and will serve you better in the long run.
- Remote Control Hobbies in Woodinville had a Silver Can in stock for $20 last time I was in there.
- Go with the Savox 1251MG low profile servo, it's smaller and lighter, with plenty of speed and torque for touring car, but definitely definitely run a servo saver with it. Hobbytown in Redmond or Remote Control Hobbies in Woodinville will likely have it, or be able to get it quickly.
- I'd skip that radio. Try and find something higher-end used, even a DX3R. At least one local intermediate racer has had headaches from the lower-end Spektrum radios, and immediately got faster and had less glitches when he shelled out for a new KO. That being said, high end radios are really expensive when new. If you just want something to get you going, I'm sure someone local has an RTR radio/receiver they'd dump super duper cheap.
- Tires $28 after tax for the Sweep QTS 32 from Remote Control Hobbies in Woodinville. However, those are the stock touring tires. Scale Spec tires are a bit more expensive (DO NOT GET THE CHROME PREMOUNTS!). I've got used ones I'd be happy to donate to get you going, though.
- Battery: I'm sure we can get you a serviceable used 5000+ pack super cheap locally. I've got an IP 5000/50c that was only $45 new, and if I parted with that, it'd give me a good excuse to replace it with a new Reedy.
- Charger: I've got a good option for you.

Depending on your experience level, you may want to hold off on the Stock Touring class, and do some time in Scale Spec first. Stock Touring is really quite fast, and can be frustrating while you're learning the ropes. That said, the Scale Spec tires can be a bit finnicky as well.

Anyway, I'm sure we can get you up and running for much less than $500. Like I said, PM me.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote