Wiki Posts
Search

Shock Rebound

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Shock Rebound

Hi,

Just been setting my car up for a bumpy track and from what I have heard this track isn't one to run alot of shock rebound at. I have followed the xray instructions as to venting the shocks (taking off endcap) and now the shocks extend 4mm after being fully compressed. Should the shocks be squeeky? I know they have more air in them because of the oil being vented out but I am a little unsure.

thanks
Old 03-20-2005, 03:03 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I always built them in the past to where the rebound was equal on all the shocks, or at the very least from left to right on the front or back. The Xray shocks are well built but a little weird, the instructions aren't terribly clear on the process.

And getting the ends on the shock shafts in the Xray shocks is one of the biggest pain-in-the-ass tasks I've ever had to deal with in building a touring car...!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

The shocks were the main reason I quit on Xray. And after they came out with the FK05 and it had plastic shocks, I made the switch to Yokomo.

If the guys at this track are experienced enough to know what they are talking about, then you can expect to be rebuilding shocks everyweek. Or you can fill them with light oil, and open all piston holes. Then you build them up to have full rebound, and the shafts will rebound quickly. Also, soft springs will help.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok thanks guys, what i'm generally hearing is that the xray shocks aren't all that good.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

thing is with xray shocks is that they are very good when built right but they seemed very hard to get built right.

and for me, i could never get them right..no matter how many times i replaced bladders, o rings etc etc they always leaked so i ended up going to tamiya shocks on the xray..now they are good!
Old 03-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

And getting the ends on the shock shafts in the Xray shocks is one of the biggest pain-in-the-ass tasks I've ever had to deal with in building a touring car...!
Check out our locking shock shaft pliers at the following link. These work great on most sock shocks.

home.earthlink.net/~cbradshaw25/id21.html

Last edited by teamtamale; 03-21-2005 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Tamiya shocks are similar in build to the Yokes, but I prefer Tamiyas hands down. As far as rebound goes I've found that as long as my shock shafts go all the way in and comes out (all the way) at a reasonable rate, my shocks are very consistent over time. And at any time the shafts of the shocks should not take any extra effort to slide into the body;which is definitely a sign to bleed some oil out. Tamiya shocks are known for their consistency.

- JB
Old 03-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Tamiya and HPI have the shocks as close to perfect as possible. I actually enjoyed rebuilding the Pro4's shocks. Then I would laughf (to myself) as AE and Losi owners would gripe about their shocks and end up having hands covered in oily failed attempts of perfecting rebound.