R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   New Charger (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/66655-new-charger.html)

Veteq 03-19-2005 12:26 PM

New Charger

Hey guys

What would features do you guys like to have included in chargers nowadays? (ie, Step charging, high discharge rate, Li ion etc) The reason I am asking this is I am doing research for a company. Any reply will be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks

rcguy2477 03-19-2005 01:06 PM

-the ability to charge and run-in a motor at the same time
(motor run-in of at least 20 amps)
-30 amp discharge
-at least 8 amps of charging
-temperature sensor
-ability to graph the charge
-li ion/poly, nimh, nicad
-rpm sensor

axel 03-19-2005 01:48 PM

20-30amp dis. charge
backlight, big lcd
graph
motor break-in
dual charge

Veteq 03-19-2005 05:03 PM

Stackable

Do you guys like the chargers to be stackable to save space?

Turtlemaster 03-19-2005 05:09 PM

saving space would be good, but a dual charger so one could charge two batteries at once would be good, i know yokomo used to have one and there's a new company making one. but to tell you the truth, it has to look good, professional, easy to use.

don't mean to make anyone mad, by all reports the new "ice" charger is great, but i can't buy one cause to me it looks like crap.
same reason i can't buy a kia, or hyundi. "stupid" names

micros_rock 03-19-2005 05:13 PM

Tetris
Drink cooler
microwave
:D

greencactus3 03-19-2005 05:34 PM

pacman too.
definitly a fan to keep things cool if it has a power source in it. which would be nice.

Veteq 03-20-2005 05:23 PM

Size

What about size of the charger do you guys want small size like the Much-More CTX Cell master or large like the Turbo 35 GFX?

Also is a computer output important?

micros_rock 03-20-2005 05:34 PM

Re: Size

Originally posted by Veteq
What about size of the charger do you guys want small size like the Much-More CTX Cell master or large like the Turbo 35 GFX?

Also is a computer output important?

Unless someone is trying to compensate for something, most people will prefer a charger that is small and compact over a bulky one. :lol:

A computer output will more than likely complicate things too much, and wouldn't really be necessary if the charger had graphing capabilities and the ability to save data (even if you turn off the power).

Veteq 03-20-2005 06:09 PM

Size

But with a larger size like the Turbo 35 GFX we can afford to have a larger discharge current. The inside of the GFX has a big heatsink to dissipate the heat created from the 35 amp discharge.

Also with size we can afford bigger LCD Screens and the charger will have a less of a chance of failure due to the components inside will not be as cramped

ChadCapece 03-20-2005 06:21 PM

Here's what I would like to see:

.1-10 amp charge
.1-30 amp discharge
discharge and charge tray built in.
.1-20 amp motor run in (for lathe, motors, tire truers)
graphing software so we can analyze discharge curves
memory storage
cycling feature
temp detection

Speedo 03-20-2005 06:43 PM

Size-wise, somewhere between the Cell Master and Turbo 35 seems like it would be ideal.

Motor run feature should be absolutely required, and if it could go higher than 12 or so amps, that would be great.

Like previous posters have said, it would be nice to be able to break in a motor and charge at the same time. Maybe have each set of leads be able to either charge or run a motor? That would provide a variety of options. Motor guys would love it also as they could break in two motors at the same time :)

At least 20A discharge rate. I only discharge my cells after a race at 20A, but it is nice to cycle at 30A from time to time. I have never used 35A, and if the issue was 35 amp discharge versus smaller size, I would much rather have a smaller charger, provided the size difference was significant.

Nameable profiles are great. I'm not a fan of my T-35 BL in that it only lists profiles as numbers.

I think a big part of a charger is the interface. A well thought out, intuitive, easy to use interface goes a long way. An easy to read, backlit, well laid out screen should accompany a good interface.

The charger should also look nice, and be manufactured to high standards. There is a reason that people love their Xray and Corally touring cars so much ;)

It's nice to see a company actively taking note of what its customers want!

Josh

micros_rock 03-20-2005 07:04 PM

Re: Size

Originally posted by Veteq
But with a larger size like the Turbo 35 GFX we can afford to have a larger discharge current. The inside of the GFX has a big heatsink to dissipate the heat created from the 35 amp discharge.

Also with size we can afford bigger LCD Screens and the charger will have a less of a chance of failure due to the components inside will not be as cramped

I was simply saying that a saller size is more preferable. Obviously, a smaller size also puts some limitations on the chargers capabilities, but I wouldn't want something that is as big and heavy as a cinder-block ;)

17driver 03-26-2005 10:25 PM

To be able to charge and run a motor at the same time would be great.

luihed 03-26-2005 11:41 PM

I like my MuchMore Cell Master.... Using the stepcharge ( CTX ) my batts are barely warm after charging, way cooler than my old Pulsar2