R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Corally RDX Belt moving help.

Hey all, thanks for looking at my post.

I'm new to belt driven TCs and so I'm having one small issue after having just rebuilt a corally rdx from parts cars I bought.

The belt moves back and fourth on the pulley connected to the spur gear/lay shaft. It seems to move from one side to other pretty quickly.

I made sure the belt guide was straight and it stays perfectly centered on the front one way. Is this normal? It seems like under hard acceleration the belt may jump to the rear short belt side and cause damage.

Thanks for looking and any help you can offer!
Xenolance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Timbo99 Send a message via AIM to Timbo99 Send a message via MSN to Timbo99 Send a message via Skype™ to Timbo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenolance View Post
Hey all, thanks for looking at my post.

I'm new to belt driven TCs and so I'm having one small issue after having just rebuilt a corally rdx from parts cars I bought.

The belt moves back and fourth on the pulley connected to the spur gear/lay shaft. It seems to move from one side to other pretty quickly.

I made sure the belt guide was straight and it stays perfectly centered on the front one way. Is this normal? It seems like under hard acceleration the belt may jump to the rear short belt side and cause damage.

Thanks for looking and any help you can offer!
Hey there,this is normal.
I would suggest buying a belt tensioner which attaches to the top deck,this will really keep the belt in-line and also give you piece of mind.
Could try tightening the front belt slightly as the rear can be run a bit loose.
Also get rid of the one way and get a spool.(better corner entry).
Hope this helps,
Tim
Serpent ERYX/S411 Le#189,#024,TE/Airtronics/MuchMore FLETA 4/Ryan Dezign-
"The finest RC paintwork in Australia"/LEESPEED/Ame T-Shox/THiNK Carbon.
"If at first you don't succeed,.....tell'em it's the "Beta" 1.0 version"
Timbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ok good news then, Thanks Tim!!

I have a Belt Tensioner/guide as the manual calls it on there. Amazingly no one ever seems to use them on the RDX over here. I've now bought 6 roller chassis and only managed to get two of these tensioners!I adjusted the left side of the lay shaft up a hair and it seems to have planted the belt on the right side wall. Hope that is a good thing and doesn't cause it to jump. I'm assuming that is how you tighten the belt on these.

Being new to belt driven cars please forgive my ignorance but isn't a front "spool" just a solid pulley and outdrives? So no diff action in the front at all is a good thing? I run only on asphalt, usually pretty smooth surfaces that are well prepared and have high grip.

Also, I know it's a silly question and waste of money on a car this old but does anyone know if they make DCJ's that will for this thing? I love the old gal and always have.
Xenolance is offline   Reply With Quote