R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 222 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
I'm actually having a similar issue as well. First 20-30 seconds it works fine. After that in will creep over a couple of times and then nothing, dead.
Samething here, still does it with no servo plugged in.. (SR300 receiver) any ideas guys ?
Manatarms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mine did the same thing. I tried everything. Finally called Novak. They said it sounds life a firmware issue. They a supposedly sending me a new board to swap out.
edonsohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 222 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonsohc View Post
Mine did the same thing. I tried everything. Finally called Novak. They said it sounds life a firmware issue. They a supposedly sending me a new board to swap out.
I bought a new sensor board thinking that was it, problem is I bought this used from a friend.. he only had it for 1 month but regardless it was used.
Manatarms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Funny thing is right after my edge had issues my GTB2 went out with similar issues. The edge had never even been taped into a car before it died and the GTB2 had maybe 45 minutes total track time. Ended up sending out to get replaced. Still have the Edge, unfortunately I waited too long past the warranty and have a brand new never raced paperweight
PROMODVETTE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

OK I am having a different issue with my EDGE. Brand new 25.5 combo W/glitch buster, and this this still litches like a MF. 10 feet away and car has mind of its own. I do have an older JR FM radio, but I know its not that because Ihave the same radio in two other cars. I have used it with Tekin RS, Tekin RX8, and Brushless hobbies ESC's with ZERO isssues. I put this system in because novak has paid off some people to allow it to be the only motor and one of a couple ESC's for VTA. Can any one suggest anything before this thing gets sold at a loss.

Thanks
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
OK I am having a different issue with my EDGE. Brand new 25.5 combo W/glitch buster, and this this still litches like a MF. 10 feet away and car has mind of its own. I do have an older JR FM radio, but I know its not that because Ihave the same radio in two other cars. I have used it with Tekin RS, Tekin RX8, and Brushless hobbies ESC's with ZERO isssues. I put this system in because novak has paid off some people to allow it to be the only motor and one of a couple ESC's for VTA. Can any one suggest anything before this thing gets sold at a loss.

Thanks
I'd contact [email protected] and see if they have any suggestions.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks

If you're using the Novak glitch buster that came with your combo =

You might consider trying an LRP BEC Stabilizing Capacitor part# ASCLRP80135

Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwv327 View Post
yeah mine came with a capacitor built into the esc wires and i also ordered the glitch buster
They are 2 different things that serve 2 different purposes.

Quote:
novak has paid off some people to allow it to be the only motor and one of a couple ESC's for VTA.
You should be a comedian.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
Tech Elite

I dont understand why a huge capacitor is needed. I am running a cheap Brushless hobbies ESC, have the antenna on my 2003/4 JR synthazed radio, could and not coming out of the body and have no problems running an !/8 buggy almost 40 yards away. this thing gets 10 feet with the cap and ant at full lenght and time to watch it go crazy. All I can say is when I talk to them, if the fix is a higher qality radio, my fix will be a different ESC.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
I dont understand why a huge capacitor is needed. I am running a cheap Brushless hobbies ESC, have the antenna on my 2003/4 JR synthazed radio, could and not coming out of the body and have no problems running an !/8 buggy almost 40 yards away. this thing gets 10 feet with the cap and ant at full lenght and time to watch it go crazy. All I can say is when I talk to them, if the fix is a higher qality radio, my fix will be a different ESC.
Can't tell you and hopefully thats not the fix. In the mean time have you tried to turn the low volts protection off? Also do you have a external rxr pack you could try to run with the system just to check it out. If you run it with the rxr pack and don't have a radio issue it could be that the esc has a problem with the internal bec, they sometimes crap out for no real reason. I'd still contact NOVAK tech as if it works with the external rxr pack you'll probably need to send it back for warranty. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #26
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

My gtb and gtb2 xdrive were sort of glitching /cogging too when I ran indoor carpet, until I turned the LVC Off + cranked the minimum drive to the highest setting(15%)... I turned drag brake Off and put some forward trim in my radio at neutral.... No more Cogging/glitching, but I do run futaba radios though !
Another thing that most racers forget to do is to sand the edges of their TX alkaline batteries so they don't lose contact, in addition to checking their deans connectors for loose connections.... It can be frustrating at times, but that's RC !!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Turn low volt cutt-off off, that seems like a good way to smoke a battery. I also like to run drag brake, so thats out, I also dont run connectors. If I have to all that stuff to my esc settings, just to get it not to glitch, I think there is a problem with the ESC.

But I will try an external rx pack, just to check the BEC. Not going to run with one though, that just seems wrong too
Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Can't tell you and hopefully thats not the fix. In the mean time have you tried to turn the low volts protection off? Also do you have a external rxr pack you could try to run with the system just to check it out. If you run it with the rxr pack and don't have a radio issue it could be that the esc has a problem with the internal bec, they sometimes crap out for no real reason. I'd still contact NOVAK tech as if it works with the external rxr pack you'll probably need to send it back for warranty. Good luck.
Try the following: try lowering your throttle high then recalibrate radio and speedo! For example, if throttle high point is 100, lower it to 96 or so and recalibrate speedo and radio. After this reset throttle to 100%
idbdoug
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Turn low volt cutt-off off, that seems like a good way to smoke a battery. I also like to run drag brake, so thats out, I also dont run connectors. If I have to all that stuff to my esc settings, just to get it not to glitch, I think there is a problem with the ESC.

But I will try an external rx pack, just to check the BEC. Not going to run with one though, that just seems wrong too
Don't expect you to run with the rxr pack, just trying to trouble shoot the problem, as all the other suggestions are just to try and figure out what the real issue is.

I'd also try what ibdoug suggested.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Tried solutions, no fix. Novak said I could send it back under warranty, but they still suggested an updated radio. So I fixed the problem, the vendor took the ESC/Motor combo back. Will be getting a HW stock ESC for cheap but unfortunatly still have to run that noval motor. ugh Tekin makes a good 25.5 and I am sure others do too. lets have some choice dangit