R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #46
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

It can also Work the other way. If a racer goes past a specified laptime, then he gets dropped... Last man standing WINS....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Onroad Breakout Racing Tips

Most drivers prefer to adjust the car so that they can never breakout, then drive as fast as they can. Only rarely does a driver have the ability to run a faster car and "check up" when he feels he will breakout.

Set the throttle end point on the transmitter to 100%, then adjust the gear ratio to get close to the required breakout time. Reduce the throttle end point on the transmitter as a final adjustment. As the track gains traction and the driver improves throughout the day, reduce the throttle endpoint further to stay above the breakout time. A microprocessor-based transmitter (as most are these days) will permit accurate and repeatable throttle endpoint settings.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #48
Tech Fanatic

We ran this a couple of years ago in Dayton. I ended up getting really consistant from it....I usually had my brother timing my laps at a point just behind the timing loop... If I blew a corner or got caught up by a slower car I could pull it harder and make up the time to be close to the min lap and tap the brake to keep from going under...I forget why they quit running it
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr117 View Post
We ran this a couple of years ago in Dayton. I ended up getting really consistant from it....I usually had my brother timing my laps at a point just behind the timing loop... If I blew a corner or got caught up by a slower car I could pull it harder and make up the time to be close to the min lap and tap the brake to keep from going under...I forget why they quit running it
I'm glad to hear it helped with your driving. As you mentioned, the emphasis in Breakout racing is consistency, not outright speed. This is perfect for beginners, as one must first learn to control the car before one can learn to go faster.

But there are also plenty of things that experienced drivers can learn from Breakout racing, too: how much the track conditions, horsepower and handling affect lap times; how to adjust the car to maintain consistent handling throughout the run; and how consistent is my driving?!

You are one of the privileged few who has learned how to ease off the throttle to keep from breaking out!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #50
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've only had the pleasure of running break-out twice at Fastlane, but I had a ball.

I'm an oval racer mainly, but I had the opportunity to spend a couple nights up at the track when they were running on-road. If it weren't for the breakout class, I probably would have just sat there wrenching on my cars, since I don't own a competitive TC. Instead, I got to enjoy close racing and have a blast.

We've talked about the idea in oval racing as well. The idea isn't to replace the die-hard race classes, it's to give people who don't need the intensity of that style of racing or its budget a place to enjoy racing their cars. As Howard mentioned, you can run just about any car you want with the group without much difficulty, so its also fun to see what people bring out of their closets and a variety of different looks on track.
CBear3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBear3 View Post
I've only had the pleasure of running break-out twice at Fastlane, but I had a ball.

I'm an oval racer mainly, but I had the opportunity to spend a couple nights up at the track when they were running on-road. If it weren't for the breakout class, I probably would have just sat there wrenching on my cars, since I don't own a competitive TC. Instead, I got to enjoy close racing and have a blast.

We've talked about the idea in oval racing as well. The idea isn't to replace the die-hard race classes, it's to give people who don't need the intensity of that style of racing or its budget a place to enjoy racing their cars. As Howard mentioned, you can run just about any car you want with the group without much difficulty, so its also fun to see what people bring out of their closets and a variety of different looks on track.
Yes, it's a real kick to see the variety of cars that participate. We've had TC, VTA, USGT, F1, 1/12, WGT, and 235mm 1/10 pan cars successfully compete together. (Of those cars that are run specifically for the Breakout class, old 1/10 pan cars are the most popular because they're cheap, simple, rugged, easy to maintain, and handle great.) Motor/battery combos have included 8.5T to 17.5T brushless running from 1s LiPo, and 17.5T to 25.5T brushless running from 2s LiPo. Brushed motors and NiCad or NiMH batteries, as found in Ready-To-Run cars that many beginners own, also work fine.

(An FYI for our fellow readers: CBear3 is also sometimes referred to as "RoboChuck" because he can run lap after lap on the oval with only about a two inch variation in car placement.)
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have had the pleasure of running Breakout at Fastlane. It's nice to be able to "run what you brung" and test your cars out. It allows racers of all skill levels to compete and the rules are simple.

Any club can set this up if they desire and it's easy to manage.
nubie-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubie-wan View Post
I have had the pleasure of running Breakout at Fastlane. It's nice to be able to "run what you brung" and test your cars out. It allows racers of all skill levels to compete and the rules are simple.

Any club can set this up if they desire and it's easy to manage.
I'm glad you had fun! New racers are always welcome in Breakout class.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Default Track Time!

Getting extra track time to sort out a car (or driver!) is always a good idea. Last Sunday we ran Breakout class right after VTA. A new driver wanted to run his VTA in both classes, but was concerned that he wouldn't have time to change the battery between the two races. I advised him that we only use about 1200mAh in a 6 minute VTA heat, so he would be fine running the same battery for two heats in a row, as long as he didn't mind the reduction in horsepower. Despite the lower power, he always turned faster laps in the second (Breakout) heat... Track time works!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #55
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I was skeptical about the concept, but after giving it a shot last Sunday with one of Howards loaner cars I do have to admit it is fun

Breakout does allow people with different skill levels to run together competitively, so you don't have to have a huge turnout to find a number of racers that have your pace so you can race each other for position.
napoleon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #56
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
I'll bring my Delta Super Phaser with me the next time I visit Indiana!
That will be a welcome addition to my dad's RC12 circa 1983.
Currently race them at underground in chicago. hoping to get a class going for local club racing in NW indiana soon.
rageracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So my honest first reaction is boy this sure sounds dumb. Why the hell would someone run this. Then I start thinking to myself how many people turned out and didn't run this year at our track because there wasn't a class for them. Mini, USGT, F1, etc. This class should be offered at a local track for the in betweeners. Think about on-road and how it slowed down for so many years. It is picking up steam. So why turn away entries if people are there? It would produce a nice level playing field.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
So my honest first reaction is boy this sure sounds dumb. Why the hell would someone run this. Then I start thinking to myself how many people turned out and didn't run this year at our track because there wasn't a class for them. Mini, USGT, F1, etc. This class should be offered at a local track for the in betweeners. Think about on-road and how it slowed down for so many years. It is picking up steam. So why turn away entries if people are there? It would produce a nice level playing field.
I, too, admit that my first reaction on hearing the idea was "WHAT??!!" But after some contemplation, I started to understand the positive points.

Many years ago I raced in the parking lot of the Hobbytown in Denver (at Alameda and Union, for you locals). They ran a Formula Libre ("anything goes") class for all of the RTR cars and oddballs that showed up. It was hilarious watching a 1/18 scale Micro RS4 battling wheel-to-wheel with a T Maxx nitro monster truck! Occasionally the RS4 would momentarily disappear under the tire of the T Maxx, then pop out unscathed. Unfortunately, this wasn't always the case, and the disparate sizes and speeds of the vehicles often resulted in damage.

Breakout is a simple way of "capping" the performance of the cars in a Formula Libre class to reduce possible damage to the different cars, and increase the level of fun. It's sort of a "Limited Unlimited" class!

Last edited by howardcano; 10-03-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by napoleon1981 View Post
I was skeptical about the concept, but after giving it a shot last Sunday with one of Howards loaner cars I do have to admit it is fun

Breakout does allow people with different skill levels to run together competitively, so you don't have to have a huge turnout to find a number of racers that have your pace so you can race each other for position.
Here's another convert! We were pretty evenly matched in the TC class, too. I thoroughly enjoyed both races. Come race again soon!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #60
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Breakout

It's funny how some people say that a "breakout" class is stupid or dumb. I used to run full scale modified's and late models in IL in the 80's and early 90's and tried bracket racing in the SE U.S. in the mid to late 80's. the more $$$ u had the faster u could go. But these days most dirt late models and some modifies run a spec motor, keep power and cost down. Before the local high banked asphalt track(I-70) closed they even had "breakout" on lap times. This class will make it feasible for "newbies", "old fogies", and wanna be "superstars' to race, be competitive, and have fun!!!!!
puretruth71 is offline   Reply With Quote