Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Breakout Racing:  The Ultimate Spec Class!!! >

Breakout Racing: The Ultimate Spec Class!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breakout Racing: The Ultimate Spec Class!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
...another fun thing in Break Out is setting your car up to be ABLE to run quicker, and having good throttle control and feel for the lap time...and getting behind someone - and pushing them (not physically) into THEM pulling away from you - and THEM breaking out.
Literally pushing the car ahead of you so it breaks out can be effective, but the technique is generally frowned upon!

Also, making a pass by diving underneath the car in front of you (again, literally) works well (especially if you are driving a wedge-bodied 1/12 scale-- with NiCads for extra weight-- against 1/10 scale cars), but is frowned upon, and usually leaves incriminating tire marks on top of your Lexan body.

Last edited by howardcano; 09-27-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
By the way, 235mm 1/10 pan cars are the most popular in our Breakout class because they're cheap, simple, rugged, easy to maintain, and handle great.
Now I can get behind this idea...

It is a great way to establish the perception of competitiveness for newer races that could be critical in getting them hooked on racing though.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MarkA
Now I can get behind this idea...
I thought those 235mm cars might get your attention. We have a Delta Villain, a SpeedMerchant Roadkill 10, a fiberglass RC10L, a 10L made up of all the original HPI option parts, an RC10L3O with wide conversion, and a SpeedMerchant WGT with wide conversion, all competing on a regular basis. Other cars used have included TC, VTA, USGT, F1, 1/12, and WGT. We haven't had a Mini run with us yet, but I'm working on getting that driver to participate also.

Since several of these 235mm cars might be considered "vintage", I should point out that Breakout would be a great way to run Vintage RC races. If a nice, slow lap time were used, it could be a way to have fun without endangering cars that might be considered irreplaceable.

Originally Posted by MarkA
It is a great way to establish the perception of competitiveness for newer races that could be critical in getting them hooked on racing though.
I find that one of the biggest concerns that beginners (especially older ones) have is that they don't want to be on the track with the "fast guys" because they might create carnage. Yet being on the track with experienced drivers is a necessary part of the learning process, and I think accelerates it. Breakout class lets beginners participate without getting run over by faster cars. When their skills and confidence improve, then they can move on to a faster racing class... or stay in Breakout class, where they feel comfortable (and maybe add a second, "normal" racing class to their repertoire).

(Edit) Now that I think about it, there are also plenty of drivers who aren't beginners but have never learned how to run (or had the excitement of running) nose-to-tail for an entire race without touching each other or otherwise doing something stupid. Breakout racing would be good for them, too, since it teaches that patience can be a virtue, and that if one can't make a pass cleanly, then it's still okay to finish the race behind the car who has been ahead of you for the entire race!

Last edited by howardcano; 09-27-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I started a Breakout onroad class at my local track to get new racers involved and increase participation in onroad racing in general. It has proven to be effective and FUN!

Our rules include: any electric onroad car, any onroad tires, any motor, any battery, any speed control-- so there's almost no rules at all! It's "run what ya brung". The most important rule is: NO LAP CAN BE FASTER THAN THE BREAKOUT TIME. Think of Breakout racing as a "spec" class, where the only spec is the one that really matters: lap time!

We set our breakout lap time to about the same as an average VTA car-- the slowest "normal" racing class-- so that all car types can compete on a level playing field, and to encourage beginners to participate.

I am interested in hearing from other racers about their experiences and observations on Breakout racing. If you are doing Breakout racing, what works for you, and what doesn't? If you are contemplating participating in or starting a Breakout class, what are you considering?

I think that this is a bad idea. it's pretty much "give the 'hacks' more power then what good drivers are allowed to have. if you want to slow down the competition make a rule like everyone is only allowed to run the hobbywing EZrun 30amp esc with 13t motor in a tc.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EskimoGangsta
I think that this is a bad idea. it's pretty much "give the 'hacks' more power then what good drivers are allowed to have. if you want to slow down the competition make a rule like everyone is only allowed to run the hobbywing EZrun 30amp esc with 13t motor in a tc.
Thank you for your input.

One of the advantages of our Breakout class is that nobody is required to buy any new equipment.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Default Advantages of Breakout Racing!

Since I previously mentioned one of the advantages of Breakout racing as we run it, this might be a good time to summarize some others that come to mind:

There's no way to cheat.

It's cheap! More money does not necessarily correspond to better race results.

Setting a relatively slow breakout time reduces tire wear and parts breakage, which is great for beginners (and can be a welcome change for experienced racers).

Old cars, motors, batteries, radios and speed controls (and drivers!) are still competitive.

Beginners can run whatever car they already own, in a safer, controlled setting.

It's a perfect "stepping stone" to the faster onroad classes, with the advantage that the same car can be used for both Breakout and the faster class.

Have I missed any other advantages? How do you do things differently in your Breakout class?

Last edited by howardcano; 09-28-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EskimoGangsta

1. Anyone can run whatever they want for batteries, motor or speed control. Nobody is given a power or speed advantage.

2. Class is not just limited to TC.

3. This is not a replacement for any of the current classes.

4. NOBODY IS FORCED TO RUN IT. If you don't like running with hacks stick with mod TC.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
1. Anyone can run whatever they want for batteries, motor or speed control. Nobody is given a power or speed advantage.

2. Class is not just limited to TC.

3. This is not a replacement for any of the current classes.

4. NOBODY IS FORCED TO RUN IT. If you don't like running with hacks stick with mod TC.
Yes, the goal of this thread is to share ideas and information in a constructive manner. The goal is NOT to force anyone to race in Breakout class; it's just another option.

However, there are occasions when it might be the only option, such as when there aren't enough drivers present to run a particular class. In this case, they can still race in Breakout rather than head home early. There are some tracks that have excellent turnouts, where this may never be a problem. Others can use a Breakout class to help with the situation.

Surprisingly, having a Breakout class may also increase participation in the regular racing classes. Drivers are more likely to show up at the track when they are unsure if there will be enough other cars to make a class, knowing they can always run their car in the Breakout class as a backup plan. (And sometimes they may rescue an old car out of their closet and bring it along to run Breakout in any case!)

Last edited by howardcano; 09-28-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default "Hacks"!!!

"Hacks"... such an emotionally-charged word. We tend to forget that every one of us was a "hack" when we began in this sport, and the label lingers longer for some than for others. (All of us will again become "hacks" if we remain in the sport long enough.) I know of no instance that the use of the term encourages participation in our sport. My main concern is getting new people involved, and I always try to provide encouragement, help, advice, and of course a friendly and welcoming attitude.

It might also be wise to keep in mind that today's beginner or "hack" might be racing for position with you next year, and winning a national title in two years. I've known a few!

Each driver has his own abilities, goals, and budget. On any Sunday, only one driver wins the race. But everyone can have fun.

Last edited by howardcano; 09-28-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this class sounds retarded!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

The whole idea of this class is Ludicrous !!!!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

In a month or so I'll be out to race breakout with you all at fastlane. Going to get my new mini put together first. That way I can race TC and run my mini even if there isn't enough racers for a mini class. Plus, I could race something silly like a 4wd mini (think ABC Genetic chassis) that really doesn't fit in any classes.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jordan.norwood@
The whole idea of this class is Ludicrous !!!!!!
Originally Posted by Bar
this class sounds retarded!
Thank you for your observations.

Last edited by howardcano; 09-28-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Should get a video of some racing oh here
Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes, the goal of this thread is to share ideas and information in a constructive manner. The goal is NOT to force anyone to race in Breakout class; it's just another option.

However, there are occasions when it might be the only option, such as when there aren't enough drivers present to run a particular class. In this case, they can still race in Breakout rather than head home early. There are some tracks that have excellent turnouts, where this may never be a problem. Others can use a Breakout class to help with the situation.

Surprisingly, having a Breakout class may also increase participation in the regular racing classes. Drivers are more likely to show up at the track when they are unsure if there will be enough other cars to make a class, knowing they can always run their car in the Breakout class as a backup plan. (And sometimes they may rescue an old car out of their closet and bring it along to run Breakout in any case!)
Yep, sometimes it is good to think outside the box and do what works best for local racers. Cleveland had a lot of fun with it until the newer guys transitioned over to VTA. If some new guys start showing up with oddball or older cars I bet it would get going again. Good luck with your program.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.