R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2005, 10:29 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Post Funny thread...

... Yokomo CGM, graphite tub chassis, very durable, all around outstanding car.

- JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:03 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Anybody that claims the Xray to be the most durable car is full of $h1t. I haven't gone a whole raceday without discovering something that has failed, loosend, or had a wheel fall off. Their screw in tire system is junk. The screws loosen even when using thread lock and your tire will loosen or come off. I lost the A-main last week b/c my car loosned a rear tire, and it pulled hard right for the last three laps.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:42 AM   #33
Tech Adept

DAMN, I've been running the XXX-S since it came out and finally decided to try out the new 05 Xray and all I have been hearing is that it doesn't measure up to all the hype! Whatz up with that! Are all you Xray haters jealous or is this car truly going to be a disappointment?
Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:00 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: New 1/10 Touring Car

Quote:
Originally posted by ttektek
Hi guys,

Im thinking of buying a new car to race with. I want something different, but also something competitive to race with. Im not new to Rc world as I used to run Nitro (MTX-3 and G4)

Now its a toss up between:

Tamiya Evo IV
Tamiya 415
Team Associated TC4
HPI Pro 4
XRay
Alex Racing R3

Which of those would you recommend, i know its a open question. Money and spare parts is not a problem.

Thanks

Sami
hmmm g4, and named sami and in melb. kinda rings a bell!

anyways... go for the TRF 415 MS!
and if its you sammi i'd recommend you going into stock class first
its as fast as nitro pro stock but much smoother check out www.harrisrc.com.au for matched packs and motors! get the EA monster stock motor and a few F brushes. and 1.16 matched GP3300 packs will do. you will need 5 packs.

James
Old 03-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #35
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie
Default Re: New 1/10 Touring Car

Quote:
Originally posted by ttektek
Hi guys,

Im thinking of buying a new car to race with. I want something different, but also something competitive to race with. Im not new to Rc world as I used to run Nitro (MTX-3 and G4)

Now its a toss up between:

Tamiya Evo IV
Tamiya 415
Team Associated TC4
HPI Pro 4
XRay
Alex Racing R3

Which of those would you recommend, i know its a open question. Money and spare parts is not a problem.

Thanks

Sami
Ask yourself two questions before making any purchase of a new ride.
1) Does the kit I am about to shell out $300-$400 have good support where I live?
2) Is the support expensive?

Here is my example.
for question one.
Yes the Yokomo SD that I currently drive and the new Yokomo BD that I am purchasing at the end of this month does have great product support through www.speedtechrc.com next day unless I order on fridays.
now for question two.
No Yokomo parts are easily one of the least expensive. A pair of Grafite Arms was $10.00 the Losi Arms for there old car are like $8.00 for one arm. Forget about how expensive Xray parts are...$12.00 belt....COME ON....a belt...for that price it better hold up my pants..LOL
Since you live in Melborn, you should have great support from all Japaneese manufacturers. So choose wisely. Last question. Have you driven what you are about to buy......You should see if the drivers at your local track will let you have a couple of laps with the cars you are interested in buying. See which one seems to be inline with your driving style.
I have bought only shaft drive cars since starting TC racing so the new Yok BD will be my first beltdrive but I have driven many of the choices you listed and belts seem to carry more speed. The 415 is a great choice too, I like the Xray also but it is very particular just the same as the Pro 4 you make a minor adjustment and your whole car can be all wrong. Or if you hit a board....which I do far to often the Xray and the Pro 4 seem to get all out of wack. I love the Yokomo brand cause they are durable and they aren't to twitching to changes..Easy to drive and easier to work on than any other car out there. PERIOD...
go to www.yokomousa.com and click the link to the new MR4TC BD you will enjoy the pictures and the write up.
GO TEAM YOK. LOL There is my plug for the day.
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm not claiming that the Xray is inexpensive or absolutely bullet proof (although the PB cars were ) Soviet's outright hostility towards the brand is rather shocking and disturbing.

I gave the TC4's a try..and now I'm heading right back to Xray. I'd have been tempted to try Yokomo, but in my area parts supply is questionable at best.

Losi took themselves out of the running with delay after delay and reports of questionalbe durability on the JRXS..

The TC4's worked well for me..ijsut hated wrenching on them...I was just not a fan of the layout or the parts quality....

Xray is not the *ONLY* touring car on the market. Themarket is large enough for many different cars to exist to suit various tastes...

for those spouting anger and resentment though...perhaps you should seek help??
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

All these cars are good. Stay away from the TC4, low quality piece of junk. Oh and last time I checked a shaft drive car has never won the IFMAR worlds.
kylehirano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to tc3stocker Send a message via Yahoo to tc3stocker

EEEh WRONG! Barry Baker, Atsushi Hara, Surikarn

TC3, Pro 4, and Surikarn Evo III I believe!
tc3stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 02:18 AM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have to strongly disaggree with the "anti-TC4" comment. One of my team mates had a TC3 for about a year, and just put a TC4 together. I've watched him race, month after month. There's nothing crappy about those cars. Anyone can name a few gripes, but the cost/performance ratio on those cars is tough to beat.

I run a Pro-4, love it, and I have beat my team mate's TC3 in our regular club level races(he's beaten me more often, and always places near the top, if not taking the win). I'd never say anything bad about those cars; his fastest lap is better than mine...

Oh yah, the previous local bad ass ran a TC3, and AFAIK, his is still the track record lap for a 19t electric tourer.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 07:43 AM   #40
Tech Elite

The low pricetag onthe TC4 is apealing..until you dress it up with the aluminum suspensionmounts, graphite chassis, Ti turnbuckles and various other bits...at which point its every bit as expensive as other 'pro' level kits...in fact..maybe even more so...

Hopefully AE will release the FT TC4 soon for those that want a tricked out car...doing it this way is just too $$$$$
Old 03-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

.DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS...DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.....DUDE.. INVEST IN DRIVING LESSONS.......ANY TOP LINE CAR WILL DO.
BadBoyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #42
Tech Elite

relax man....

consider thatmany of the upgrades listed also help contribute to durability of the cars as well...

I am by no means a pro...but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciated quality...

Focussing on driving and setup is most important...but having a car thatworks WITH you helps too
Old 03-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3stocker
EEEh WRONG! Barry Baker, Atsushi Hara, Surikarn

TC3, Pro 4, and Surikarn Evo III I believe!
Actually,

Hara won while he was still running for yokomo with the old MR-4TCSP (Belt car)

Surikarn won with the Tamiya 414M2 (belt car)

Barry...I don't think barry has won the worlds yet (came close, but he did win quite a few reedy race with the TC3)

I think the one we are missing is Spashett (Losi SW I believe)

Most recently as we all know, Mark Reinhardt (Tamiya TRF415, belt car)

Steve Wang
Old 03-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

no matter what car you get, nothing will be faster and more valuable than time at the track. that being said...

as far as parts availability, thats a bunch of BULL $hit, if your on your computer you have available parts. i race a trf414m2, everyone told me you wont get parts, so i stocked my garage and i look on the net and realized there was no reason to do that cuz plenty of places have parts available anytime.

that being said, if your a racer youll have a pitbox full of parts so it would be no more of an investment than anyother car as far as parts. am i saying all parts will be at your finger tips, no, but worst case scenario if you broke some obscure part youd have to wait a couple of days to order it. dont let your local hobby shop dictate what car you HAVE to get. i love the exotics, its nice being the one or 1 of 2 people on the track running a specific car instead of a bellybutton car (everyone has one). i mean we have speedtech right here that can basically get us anything. if i went by local hobby shop standards id be running either a tc3 or a xxx-s!
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:20 PM   #45
Tech Elite

I would like to see AE release a FULL Factory Team kit. Every hop-up AE offers will be included. Nothing left out!!! Then MAYBE I would give the TC4 a try.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote