R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1. See threads
2. Ask the locals what they run, most of them should be more than willing to tell you all about their setup.
3. Expensive matched packs are nice, but you really don't need them at first. We got bulk packs(24 cells), matched them ourselves(not rocket science) and built 4 packs for the cost of 2-3 nice prebuilt packs. If your funding's abundant, yup, those matched packs are nice...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:17 AM   #17
Tech Addict

If you really want to be different try the Barracuda. Then there is the "new" car from Kyosho.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

X-Ray or TC4 all the way!
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ttektek
Thanks guys for all your replies.

The surface I am running on is asphalt, similar to R40Victim track. Its quite tight with 2 straights.

Sounds like itís a toss between the Xray and the TC4.

I have some more questions:

1. Whats the difference between the Xray FK and the FK 05 model?
2. What motors (turns, double or single, brushless) do you recommend for my track?
3. What batteries do you buy? 3300 matched cells?

Thanks again.

Sami
1. Look on Xrays Website they did list the differences
2. Hard to recomend what to run on your track with out seeing it, but if you just starting electric, run a monster stock until you get the hang of it.
3. Look on different web sites such as promatch, smc, kinetics and so on for sales on batteries. just buy some packs with 1.165 to 1.179 numbers and you will be alright. I bought 3 packs from promatch for $130, only $40 a pack for 1.175's and 420 secs. I wouldn't waste money on the new 3600-3700 mah craze yet. The price of these will probably drop when the gp's hit the shelves.

If your running only asphalt, I would look a Yokomo SD, HPI Pro 4, Corrally RDX, or Schumacher MI2. 2 shafties and 2 belties . I wouldn't get a TC4 for asphalt, Chassis is very rigid and won't give as much traction as the others.
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I forgot the Yokomo BD, looks very promising as well.
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:48 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get any car but the Xray...You don't want to become an Xray driver...It's an ugly sight:

First you get hooked on the company's product because their car goes together so deceptively well. You fall in love with it's over-engineered alloy sexiness. Then you get suckered into their little private club online. Next...you begin looking down on all other racers with their "lesser" equipment. Lastly...you begin preaching the Xray gospel to any and all at the track and maybe even at the mall, street, work etc.

Don't let it happen to you!

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's a conspiracy!...They'll only control you!

Down with X-ray...

Preach on Brother Soviet!...however....

Yay Capitolism!!
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Yeah!!!

Then you start looking at Hudy tools like they are the best in the world and like they last forever.
All of a sudden, things like Luxury Tire truers or Comm truers become appealing.
Then the clothing and so on and so on.

They are so devious that the cars are designed to be incredibly resilient leaving no excuse to change brand.

It's a damn conspiracy, that's what it is !!!!!

Where are my pills?
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:36 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Get any car but the Xray...You don't want to become an Xray driver...It's an ugly sight:

First you get hooked on the company's product because their car goes together so deceptively well. You fall in love with it's over-engineered alloy sexiness. Then you get suckered into their little private club online. Next...you begin looking down on all other racers with their "lesser" equipment. Lastly...you begin preaching the Xray gospel to any and all at the track and maybe even at the mall, street, work etc.

and buy a car every 6mnths with no performance difference lol.
get the tamiya,
to many internationals titles to list lol.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

That's funny guys!
ttektek, the real conspiracy is that Soviet is pronounced "So be it!" and he Photoshopped himself with Brad Pitt's face, a bad hairline and a Confederate coat. lol!

But what he said is true, except for the looking down on others with lesser equipment. We do preach Xray gospel though, but only to each other. It makes us better... faster. But really, I raced two other cars before my FK for two years. Took me a while to get them dialed. First time out with the FK, I never realized I was a better driver than I thought. I was compensating driving all this time for what I thought were dialed cars. The real perk is, and this is very secret, (like in the movie "They Live")... once you get your Xray, you are sent some sunglasses... and they let you see threw women's clothes. What a life!
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:43 PM   #26
Tech Regular

You got the glasses already???
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:52 PM   #27
Tech Regular

ole G4 driver here. Go get the Xray

Made 1st in the B main first time out in electric on road.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:15 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:

That is right on the money. I didn't even realize I was falling in their "trap". But now I've got a yokomo, so I guess the withdrawl symptoms will kick in soon.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:31 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I preach the Xray Gospel because the car made me a believer...and the flock is growing at an astounding rate..

If you are a true RC Modelier like Soviet, then by all means get the TC4 so you can shim, shave, ream and drill your parts so they go together smoothly...

once you've done that you'll have a very nicely performing kit...untilt he premature wear kicks in...

Me? I'll spend the extra $$ up front to save me money down the road....
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:49 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Windsorguy99
I preach the Xray Gospel because the car made me a believer...and the flock is growing at an astounding rate..

If you are a true RC Modelier like Soviet, then by all means get the TC4 so you can shim, shave, ream and drill your parts so they go together smoothly...

once you've done that you'll have a very nicely performing kit...untilt he premature wear kicks in...

Me? I'll spend the extra $$ up front to save me money down the road....
Thats right!!! I got a TC4 and it's just as good a car as ANY Xrayed piece of glorified trash on wheels!

REAL racing cars are driven by a shaft, alternators and water-pumps are turned by belts.

Oh..and about Xray being the Dolphin's nipples...they're not. Guy at the track today had several good hits and it was $$$ and more $$$ time after that.

Oh yeah...BTW...Die Xray...DIE!!!

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote