R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2005, 08:10 AM   #856
Tech Initiate

ROAR CAN SUCK MY LEFT NUT... the Losi sedan could not run in stock because it was not out yet, but the LRP brushless motor could run in 1/12 mod? wtf is up with that? I know with cars in mod that they can run prototype stuff, but dont motors have to be available in hobby shops to be legal? last time I checked that LRP motor wont be out for a few more weeks.
Dr. Pididiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #857
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

JohnBull - The only people that the members have the power to vote out are the President and Vice president and our regional reps. Positions are on a 2 year basis. We can vote out the vice pres this year and the president next year, if the ballots can get to the members of ROAR on time.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:40 AM   #858
Tech Initiate

Looks like ROAR did not stick to their own rules for the 1/12 brushless motor.

right off the ROAR site:
f) A minimum of two thousand (2000) brushless motors must be available at the time of approval. A minimum of three hundred (300) brushless motors must have been sold to at least three (3) distributors or hobby shops or OEM’s at the time of submittal. The manufacturer has to provide an address of a hobby shop or the like, that any driver who wishes to obtain these motors at the time of the approval can do so. No hybrid (mixing of parts from approved brushless motors) allowed.

I have called Great Planes, they have no motors in stock or a ETA for the motor.
Horizon does not have it in stock, they say a ETA of the 10th of next month.
Competion Products does not have it in stock also and no ETA.
Does anyone know what are the names of the "(3) distributors or hobby shops or OEM’s at the time of submittal" are?
Does anyone know where the "minimum of three hundred (300) brushless motors must have been sold" are?
I know that the hobby shop at the Nats did not have any to sell.
Looks like ROAR dropped the ball on this, as least they are consistentley confused to their own rules.

If thats the case with ROAR bending or not enforcing their rules, I would think that the REAL winner of 1/12 mod SHOULD and IS the highest finisher with a legal brushed motor.

Last edited by Dr. Pididiot; 03-23-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 AM   #859
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I just got my Rev-up with an entry form for Carpet Nats! Did I miss the deadline?
ground-round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #860
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Pididiot
Did you have a nice nap? lol
Thats pretty much been stated 100 times.
Doesn't make it any more true to say it again.

I'm anxious to see when things are made official.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #861
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Pididiot

right off the ROAR site:
f) A minimum of two thousand (2000) brushless motors must be available at the time of approval. A minimum of three hundred (300) brushless motors must have been sold to at least three (3) distributors or hobby shops or OEM’s at the time of submittal. The manufacturer has to provide an address of a hobby shop or the like, that any driver who wishes to obtain these motors at the time of the approval can do so. No hybrid (mixing of parts from approved brushless motors) allowed.

I have called Great Planes, they have no motors in stock or a ETA for the motor.
Horizon does not have it in stock, they say a ETA of the 10th of next month.
Competion Products does not have it in stock also and no ETA.
Does anyone know what are the names of the "(3) distributors or hobby shops or OEM’s at the time of submittal" are?
Does anyone know where the "minimum of three hundred (300) brushless motors must have been sold" are?
I know that the hobby shop at the Nats did not have any to sell.
Looks like ROAR dropped the ball on this, as least they are consistentley confused to their own rules.

If thats the case with ROAR bending or not enforcing their rules, I would think that the REAL winner of 1/12 mod SHOULD and IS the highest finisher with a legal brushed motor.
Great planes
Horizon hobby
Global hobby (or Hobby shack)
ACE hobby Dst (Thunder Tiger)
SIG mfg. (mostly aircraft)

Im sure there are other smaller companies. But thoes listed rules.....Someone was not thinking straight.
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:54 AM   #862
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by ground-round
I just got my Rev-up with an entry form for Carpet Nats! Did I miss the deadline?
At least you got your Rev-Up.. in the last year I have only seen 2 of them show up in the mail.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:57 AM   #863
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by Gearhead3
Great planes
Horizon hobby
Global hobby (or Hobby shack)
ACE hobby Dst (Thunder Tiger)
SIG mfg. (mostly aircraft)

Im sure there are other smaller companies. But thoes listed rules.....Someone was not thinking straight.

none of the companies you listed have the brushless motor in stock or have ever had it in stock.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #864
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would Like to Thank ROAR for Legalizing Brushless Motors and Speed controllers. Now all we Need is The Big Batteries so the Privateers Have a Chance..
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:13 AM   #865
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dmatter
I would Like to Thank ROAR for Legalizing Brushless Motors and Speed controllers. Now all we Need is The Big Batteries so the Privateers Have a Chance..
Dax: You still won't be able to compete. Brushless technology is far more advanced , and technically complicated than Brushed motor tech. Brushless will more than likely make the gap between the haves and have nots even greater. It's gonna come down to programming the ESC, and you'll still have issues with production tolerances, plus it's a greater initial outlay of funds. The only good thing about it is it'll be less maintenance.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #866
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I still think It is a Good Start because I Can't afford to Cut and Brush every Two rounds. Making run time In Modified is My First Goal Then I will Worry about the Good Old HP! I heard the LRP/Reedy System Makes about Nine Turn Power Anyway I think That is Adequate For most Applications?
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:36 AM   #867
Tech Master

I have a question, Who the heck came up with this thing about "Progamming the ESC" to make the brushless faster??? That is NOT the case, and if it is, it will be a Normal Feature of the ESC, Noone will need a laptop to do it. At least thats our goal. Tuning can still come from the motor, there is timing, and winding, and wires, and air gap and lots more.

This Voodoo about the Software makeing the ESC faster is CRAP, and needs to stop being spread.

To address the comments about magnets, even Roar Legal mod motors have Some rare earth magnet in them, it's impossible to get the gauss readings from a standard "legal" magnet that the motors do. They are "juiced" up magnets and have been for a very very long time.

Brushless shouldn't be shunned, it's here to help the hobby grow, now one motor and one ESC, to race a season, and spend your Com and brush money to travel, or at least buy new tires and bodies all the time.......

Less maintenance is a big deal to somepeople. You can run pack after pack after pack after pack and always have the same power over and over again, that helps a ton with tuning on a chassis. But what do we know right.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #868
Tech Initiate

Charlie,
Any word on when we might see a production version of new novak brushless system?

thanks
Scott
SCOTT HOWARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #869
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dmatter
I still think It is a Good Start because I Can't afford to Cut and Brush every Two rounds. Making run time In Modified is My First Goal Then I will Worry about the Good Old HP! I heard the LRP/Reedy System Makes about Nine Turn Power Anyway I think That is Adequate For most Applications?
Adequate 'till someone shows up with a 7 turn equivalent!!! I have no problem with Brushless once the technology has been PROVEN as a viable and FAIR system for our application. At this point only one manufacturer offers a system for our use, it's reliability has been called into question, and it isn't powerful enough. I'm wondering how much rip the Sphere/Neo combo will be when it reaches the market. Will it be the real deal like J.O.B. used, or will it be de-tuned for durability?

On a side note: I wanna congratulate the "red-headed stepchild" on his win. The choice of powerplant should in no way detract from Orr's wicked driving ability.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #870
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

7.2V brick packs are coming, say goodbye to cell matching.