R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #826
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

sounds like this race was one big cluster *#%^.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #827
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by CypressMidWest
Bob, I have nothing but respect for you, but to compare a ROAR race to the Champs is completely laughable. Mr. Bill and the Champs staff don't hear as much whining in 5 years of Champs, as ROAR reps hear for one event. Hell, most Roar races I've been to, the ROAR reps themselves do as much whining as the racers.

The Champs is the longest running and most successful race on Earth because of one thing. PREPARATION. Bill Aholt has already been working on the '05 Indoor Champs, and it's still 8 months away. I've attended, helped organize, put on big races, and I'm now a proud member of the Indoor Champs staff. In my experience, big races are far better run WITHOUT ROAR INVOLVEMENT.

The situation is this, at a Roar National there are too many chiefs, and not enough Indians in the Race Crew. Either let the Host Track run the Race, or let ROAR run the race. ROAR can't afford timing and scoring equipment, and to send staff to the races? Please, this is the new Millenium guys. Drop the stupid Rev-UP which noone seems to get. I started getting mine regularly TWO WEEKS AFTER I NEEDED TO SUBMIT MY BALLOT. Go on-line with it and free up those funds.

I'll also tell ya right now, I'd have no problem laying down $50 a year for my membership if I knew I could count on a good show when I go to a NATIONAL EVENT. So, if you raise the fee to $50, multiply that by 6000 members, you get an additional $90000! I think that would more than cover a fulltime staff of two people (a race director and an Official Referree) and their travel expenses.
ROAR provides the tech equipment, The track provides a few volunteers for tech. Aside from that all the host has to worry about is facility prep.

I don't wanna hear about track staff feeling stepped on if ROAR stepped in. I've done big races, and I'd have gladly accepted the help.

The Sport has outgrown the current ROAR structure and mentality. The races are bigger, the business is bigger. It's time the organization grew to match.

Ian Ruggles
hi Ian...my response was a little misunderstood in comparing the Champs....this is the "BEST" race in the world....better than the "worlds" BAR NONE!!!!....guess my point was that with all the complaining....nobody seems to understand that without ROAR....there are no "RULES" and the inmates inherit the jail, so to speak....everyone has the answer but no-one will go far enough to be a difference maker...lots of ideas but nobody with the stones to jump in and be a do'er or a leader....hope you catch my drift.....i've been around long enough to see that.....you guys have a select handfull of great people that do the greatest job, and put on the greatest show in our hobby.....maybe others will take note of that .....with ROAR unfortunately there comes a time when jobs, families, etc. come before racing for bowling trophies....ROAR officials don't get paid and do this on spare time....realize it or run for office/volunteeer is what i mean.....it's simple......how hard is it to even get someone to "volunteer" marshall at a race these days......case closed.....i agree with upping the ante on dues....doesn't bother me, but what about the young kids that don't have the $$$...???maybe manufacturer's could be asked for some $$$ as a deductible contribution?
....seems that they benefit the most from our "bowling" wins.....?????
Bob Schoenau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:30 PM   #828
Tech Adept

ps...one more thing....i agree that not only ROAR but everything must be updated.....if something new comes along "change" is good....don't rely on old technology or the"old " school of doing things....try something fresh....you can always go back if it doesn't work...,..that's racing.... like time, technology waits for no one.
Bob Schoenau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:29 PM   #829
Tech Regular

Default roar/champs

I think there is a very good reason why the birds and the champs and a dozen or so large annual non roar races are run in a more professional , smooth racer friendly way. they are held at the same place by the same people year in and year out. the rookie mistakes that are made in a roar race were worked out years ago in these non roar annual events. every new roar race has a learning curve that negatively affects the racer. Have the nats at the same place 3 years in a row and by year 2 i bet the quality would rival the big non roar races. just my 2 cents
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #830
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Too bad after having one major roar event most tracks dont ever want to have another one.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #831
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ian, after the way you Smacked that Bartenders fat a$$ the other night I think you Should be ROAR President, Your a Trip!!!
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:00 PM   #832
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Rudedog55
Default Re: roar/champs

Quote:
Originally posted by sedanaddict
I think there is a very good reason why the birds and the champs and a dozen or so large annual non roar races are run in a more professional , smooth racer friendly way. they are held at the same place by the same people year in and year out. the rookie mistakes that are made in a roar race were worked out years ago in these non roar annual events. every new roar race has a learning curve that negatively affects the racer. Have the nats at the same place 3 years in a row and by year 2 i bet the quality would rival the big non roar races. just my 2 cents
good point, but that goes back to experience running large races, the guys that run those other large races have a world of experience doing just that. i would love to have em run a roar race, would make a world of difference, but how many track owners do you know that will let someone other than themselves run their track for a week??? maybe i'm wrong maybe i'm not
Rudedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:07 PM   #833
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
This is true, ROAR tries to hold a national level event form almost all classes of R/C racing and tries to distribute the racing evenly throughout the US. I attended the 2004 1/8th Nationals hosted by the RAMS club. By Far, one of the best races I've attended. The RAMS club went above and beyond to provide the racers with a top notch experience. and this was a ROAR race. So does this mean we should have the 1/8th nationals every year at the RAMS club. In theory, the race will get better and better each year. But NO, to make if fair for all members ROAR coordinates races throughout the US each year.

The big races you guys mention, Cleveland, Snow Birds and Novak are hosted by the same club, by the same volunteers (and some are paid to help) at the same location. Of course they are going to have their shit together. I hope so after doing it over and over again.

What's funny is I was speaking with a factory guy and the Reedy race came up. His comments, great race but its the same track.

So far, my contact information has been posted all over the internet at various sites. No one has seriously contacted me and said how can I help within regional 2.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:18 PM   #834
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Look..

The Only reason why ROAR is still around is because they hold the One Main Key for the Manufactures..

You have to Attend a ROAR Nationals Event to Qualify for the World Championships!! Period.

If this was not the case.. ROAR would Cease to Exist!!!

There are so many other races to attend. Some better some worse.

But if you take the Worlds from ROAR no one would care about ROAR!!!

MIke

TEAM ASSOCIATED/REEDY(1986-2005)
PROLINE RACING
MPrincip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #835
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to KDagh1 Send a message via MSN to KDagh1

Where is George the owner of Hobby Chamber? I have been scanning these posts for the past couple of days waiting to see a reply from George.

The silence is deafening. Has anybody heard what his reaction to the whole thing is? I have heard everybody else's story except for the Race Director / Track Owner.
KDagh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #836
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Mr-Tamiya1 Send a message via AIM to Mr-Tamiya1

Quote:
Originally posted by speedxl
Ray what gives? the other guy said the gate sucked I said it was world class compared to the gas chamber!

Reread the post dude!
i never said it sucked dude, re read page 14!
Mr-Tamiya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #837
Tech Master

Roar makes mistakes but from what I have heard the track did many unproffesional things during the week.Turning people away that wanted to watch is the most redicules thing I have ever heard.Theirs 100's of threads on how to get new people to race these are why people don't race.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:55 PM   #838
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by MPrincip
Look..

The Only reason why ROAR is still around is because they hold the One Main Key for the Manufactures..

You have to Attend a ROAR Nationals Event to Qualify for the World Championships!! Period.

If this was not the case.. ROAR would Cease to Exist!!!

There are so many other races to attend. Some better some worse.

But if you take the Worlds from ROAR no one would care about ROAR!!!

MIke
Attending a ROAR national does not automatically qualify you for the Worlds. This is not what keeps ROAR going.

The One Main Key that keeps ROAR around is that ROAR has established guidlines to keep racing as fair as possible for its membership and mantain a consistancy in racing where ever you go.

Without guildlines, you may as well just forget about competing fairly. The manaufacturers will continue to introduce newer products faster than they are doing so now and us average racers will never be able to keep-up.

IFMAR deals with an organizational body, like ROAR cause of it guidlines and commitment to promote a level playing field. What, really funny is I know of racing clubs, ORL in particular who are not ROAR affiliated organizations, but follow ROAR guidlines. WHY? Cause without guidlines there is no racing.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:57 PM   #839
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Exactly!!! This is way ROAR is considering a regular staff to administer multiple events.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #840
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-Tamiya1
i never said it sucked dude, re read page 14!

go back a few pages where I said I was wrong and didnt know the gate held a nats so I wasnt clasiffying it as sucking!

Guess you missed that!