R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-21-2005, 11:43 AM   #616
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Amazing, just amazing. Opinions with no insight. Socrates would love to speak with you.

AE | Reedy | KO | Tekin | Powermaster | Avid | Upgrade | BCE | Paint by Smiley
David Joor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #617
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by David Joor
Amazing, just amazing. Opinions with no insight. Socrates would love to speak with you.
LMAO.... Joor humor strikes again.

I get my Rev-Ups right on time.

David it would be awesome for someone as good as you to take over the ROAR website. I know you don't have time, but I was just using you as an example.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #618
Tech Adept

Default Test Pic

One of the pics I took in qual on Saturday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crw_0071.jpg (51.3 KB, 1066 views)
F1-Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:52 AM   #619
Tech Adept

Default More pics

More pics from Sat qual. Don Peters building his new RDX in the pits durring the qualifiers! He even painted a body!

My hat's off to Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crw_0097.jpg (91.3 KB, 783 views)
Old 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM   #620
Tech Adept

Default Another 1/12th scale in qualifying

Another 1/12th scale in qualifying
Attached Images
File Type: jpg team-butter.jpg (45.3 KB, 854 views)
Old 03-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #621
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Joor =

If we did pay the president of ROAR things would change! I think it time to ROAR to step up to the next level and $$$$ is the only thing likely to take it there. It is very hard to have expectations on people volunteering their own time while sacrificing their own racing to make ROAR a better organization. If we paid some of these positions we would get better people involved and we would have a right to expect better of them.

rpoage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:06 PM   #622
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rpoage
Joor =

If we did pay the president of ROAR things would change! I think it time to ROAR to step up to the next level and $$$$ is the only thing likely to take it there. It is very hard to have expectations on people volunteering their own time while sacrificing their own racing to make ROAR a better organization. If we paid some of these positions we would get better people involved and we would have a right to expect better of them.

Right on Brother!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #623
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I keep hearing that one of the problems with this race was due to Jlap,Problems with the program/software,I was under the impresion that the missed laps was due to the loop bridge and the race director NOT setting the min. lap time lower.Am i missing something.. The reason why i ask is i'm getting ready to open a track of my own and we are looking at software right now.I have tried the Jlap and i have also tried the AMB,I thought the JLap was alot easier to use.If someone could explain why one is better than another..please do.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #624
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to RoNTC3 Send a message via Yahoo to RoNTC3

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Smash
It mostly goes to insurance, second is the publication and postage for the Rev-Ups that no one seems to get.

I've recieved ONE......I'm in my third year of membership
Old 03-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #625
Tech Adept

Default Mike Haynes in the pits

Another great driver from Long Island, Mike Haynes, in the pits at the 2005 Nats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mike-haynes.jpg (70.4 KB, 659 views)
Old 03-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #626
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
I keep hearing that one of the problems with this race was due to Jlap,Problems with the program/software,I was under the impresion that the missed laps was due to the loop bridge and the race director NOT setting the min. lap time lower.Am i missing something.. The reason why i ask is i'm getting ready to open a track of my own and we are looking at software right now.I have tried the Jlap and i have also tried the AMB,I thought the JLap was alot easier to use.If someone could explain why one is better than another..please do.

The best and most affordable scoring system is R/C Scoring Pro. I've used them all and came close to frisbee-ing my laptop with Jlap. Don't bother with wasting your time and moeny on anything else. Scoring Pro is by far the best. The worst problem we've ever had with it is once in a while We'll have to close it and reopen it if it doesn't let the cars check in before a race. Obvioulsy a 30 sec fix and it might not even be the software. Could be our decoder or just a serial port issue with the computer. At any rate you will beat yourself over the head with a baseball bat if you buy anything else.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:20 PM   #627
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
It's hard to say if there were issues with JLAP but all software will give you the ability to set min lap times and when the mod guys are running 9 seconds you better not have the software set on 8 seconds. IMO this is a rookie mistake that should have been caught. Also carbon chassis cars are often an issues with AMB systems and an experienced race director watches the hit strenght which is read out on the software.; Low hit strengths require the driver being ask to come to tech and to be informed that they need to relocact or remount the transponder. In general systems that have the bridge under the carpet are a lot mor reliable IMO.

I've personally run JLap for years and most of the problems I have had were related to hardware and/or me.
rpoage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #628
Tech Regular

Here's my 2 cents on Nats.

First, I wasn't there so I can't speak to what went on but I can speak to what I've seen at the past national events that I've been to.

The fact that ROAR is a volunteer organization is no excuse for dodging the responsability of stepping in and making decisions. I fully understand that the ROAR official isn't there to run the race but I've seen officials in the past that would not make a decision on the rules or event. Why are the officials there if they won't make decisions?

As fas as the ruling that David L made on painting the wings...it is in the rulebook. Maybe it needs to be more clear but all you guys had to do is paint the stupid thing and be done with it. It's rather childish when people complain about having to meet the rules.

I've seen a lot in the 15 years that i've been racing but some of the things that I've seen at some recent nationals are pretty sad. It's really not all the track's (or ROAR's) fault. The tracks, ROAR, and the racers all need to work on the issues.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #629
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smyka

i have a few things to say because most of the people here are prettymuch bashing hobby chamber and it is not all his fault. george put in for every roar race he could to try and make a name for his store i dont think he ever thought he would of got the nats and he new about three weeks before it he was not really ready with all the BULL SHI# rules comming into question that were never a issue before. i believe some budy should of steped forward from roar (like the director for region one or two) to help with tech and run the race . this was hobby chambersa first real big race and when it was all done it was not as bad as everyone mad it out to be yes stuff happened and things went bad but dont totally blame the track

thank
mark smyka
smyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #630
Tech Addict

Yeah, I am not a big fan of the "we're a volunteer team" comment. ROAR has always been a non-salary organization so they knew what they were getting into.

I think they have received a lot of feedback because of this particular race. So, hopefully they will take the feedback and figure out what needs to be done so that this situation does not happen again.

As someone else had said, a lot is basically project management.

Just because there is a "nationals guidebook" does not mean it is the easiest thing to follow. Running a nationals is a high-pressure "job" with a lot for a track owner to organize and try to make everything smooth. So, having to remember what is in the guidebook or go reference the guidebook is not going to be easy.

Checklists are our best friend in those situations so I recommend coming up with various checklists (pre-race, race day, and post-race checklists), if there are none currrently.

-Rich
RichChang is offline   Reply With Quote