Xray T4 '13

Reply

Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM
  #4171  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 157
Default Thicker rear diff oil!!

Hi,

Ive noticed a lot of the top drivers sometimes use 3000 rear diff oil even though they are racing on a tight and twisty track. Ive always thought that thicker diff oil reduces rotation in the rear, is this right?
Matt W is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
  #4172  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (15)
 
Robertcooper88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Loxahatchee
Posts: 806
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
Hi,

Ive noticed a lot of the top drivers sometimes use 3000 rear diff oil even though they are racing on a tight and twisty track. Ive always thought that thicker diff oil reduces rotation in the rear, is this right?
Thicker Oil increases rotation. The lighter the oil, the more the gears inside the diff works which creates traction and less rotation. The thicker the oil, the diff works less, therefore less traction and more rotation.
Robertcooper88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:31 PM
  #4173  
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

ok so things im going to try next are lean front shocks in 1 hole,try 2.6 front spring or 2.8 rear ,3000 diff and 400/450 cst allround
ive also dropped from 2mm to 1 mm on the front outer links,does this sound about right?
chasingthepack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM
  #4174  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,775
Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default

Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
here it is,let me know what you think

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=430&setup=t4


A couple things that I would try: Move weight back in the car, I don't know how you are running your battery.....plugs forward or rear? Plugs forward will put more weight to the rear.
You may be able to move the motor back a little also.......drop a few teeth on the spur and one tooth on the pinion.

A gear diff in the front with 2.5 million will also help with off power/ low speed steering.
Josh Hohnstein is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 PM
  #4175  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 57
Default

Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
here it is,let me know what you think

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=430&setup=t4
Did you try progressive springs in the front?
martinskarin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
  #4176  
Tech Master
iTrader: (20)
 
pcar951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cow Town
Posts: 1,726
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

I've found a quick fix for tight tracks with low speed corners. Add 1 or 2mm ackerman spacers (for less ackerman effect) and / or, 1.3 sway bar in the front. JMO, works for me.
pcar951 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:57 AM
  #4177  
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Originally Posted by martinskarin View Post
Did you try progressive springs in the front?
i have but i dont like the way the car feels with them on ,plus due to the banked sweeper any softer and the chassis starts to scrape,no one has ever got the progressives to work at this track
chasingthepack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 AM
  #4178  
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein View Post
A couple things that I would try: Move weight back in the car, I don't know how you are running your battery.....plugs forward or rear? Plugs forward will put more weight to the rear.
You may be able to move the motor back a little also.......drop a few teeth on the spur and one tooth on the pinion.

A gear diff in the front with 2.5 million will also help with off power/ low speed steering.
i have the weight back in the car as you can see,the front end is a light as it can be,the fastest drivers dont use a gear diff so not sure thats the way to go,its a fast flowing track with just a couple of slow corners,in general i have always struggled getting the front to do what i want it to,and thats the main reason im losing time,i had issues with the brakes but ive worked on that and im now happy with the way it stops
Attached Thumbnails Xray T4 '13-dsc_0016.jpg   Xray T4 '13-dsc_0017.jpg  
chasingthepack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 AM
  #4179  
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

Sorry for the xray newbie question, but I have heard of some people using shock oil in the gear differentials?

Would a typical 75wt shock oil be similar to the kit 750 supplied item?

I only ask as gear diff oil does not appear to be so easy to get (I could get it from Demon Power, but if I can use shock oil then it's much easier to source! ).

Many thanks
tc3team is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 AM
  #4180  
Tech Master
iTrader: (20)
 
pcar951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cow Town
Posts: 1,726
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Kit diff oil is 700cst, 75wt is closer to 1000cst so you may actually like the feel better with 75wt.
pcar951 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM
  #4181  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (70)
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Streamwood, IL.
Posts: 3,993
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Sorry for the xray newbie question, but I have heard of some people using shock oil in the gear differentials?

Would a typical 75wt shock oil be similar to the kit 750 supplied item?

I only ask as gear diff oil does not appear to be so easy to get (I could get it from Demon Power, but if I can use shock oil then it's much easier to source! ).

Many thanks
A little more detail. A comparison chart below of shock oil vs. cst.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Shock Oil Comparison Chart.pdf (119.7 KB, 160 views)
TT_Vert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM
  #4182  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (7)
 
erchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 845
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
i have the weight back in the car as you can see,the front end is a light as it can be,the fastest drivers dont use a gear diff so not sure thats the way to go,its a fast flowing track with just a couple of slow corners,in general i have always struggled getting the front to do what i want it to,and thats the main reason im losing time,i had issues with the brakes but ive worked on that and im now happy with the way it stops
What is the front to rear weight balance? Mine for instance is 52% rear / 48% front.
erchn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
  #4183  
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Originally Posted by erchn View Post
What is the front to rear weight balance? Mine for instance is 52% rear / 48% front.
i would say about the same
chasingthepack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:45 PM
  #4184  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,822
Default

Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
i would say about the same
Try removing some of those front shock shims as well.

My fastest times are with front progressive springs, and Zak Finlay who FTD'd the GP
Skiddins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM
  #4185  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,131
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
A little more detail. A comparison chart below of shock oil vs. cst.
These shock charts are all different, I usually go by this one
Attached Thumbnails Xray T4 '13-image.jpg  
JOE SI is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service