Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scoyle
...Are a lot of people moving away from the kit shocks/shock towers or is this just personal preference that people are looking at other ideas?
No.
I don't know anyone who has fitted different towers or shocks at all, only different rates and manufacturers of springs, which is normal.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
surely that would be a good thing as the sprung weight is less so the car would change direction quicker as the suspension has less to do,or am i way off the mark?
im heading to amcc this afternoon as im racing there sunday,i might just try it to see what if anything changes,were not talking about a lot of weight
No, remember it's the wheels etc (unsprung weight) that move going over a bump, so you want those parts to be able to react quickly, you then control the movement with springs and dampers.
If the weight is unsprung it's going to be harder to tune the springs and damping and you're going to effect it's ability to ride bumps etc.

Skiddins
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm finally going to put this thing together and give it a try. Anyone have a great setup and option parts for VTA? This will be my first time using gear diffs. Any oil recommendations front/rear?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
I'm finally going to put this thing together and give it a try. Anyone have a great setup and option parts for VTA? This will be my first time using gear diffs. Any oil recommendations front/rear?
carpet? Asphalt?
I haven't really changed much from carpet as far as diff oil, 1k-3k in the rear has worked for me so far with 2k being my favorite.. As far as a diff in front, I haven't used one, only solid...
My suggestion for diff oil in front would be anywhere from 300k-1million and if I'm not mistaking they have even higher #'s and even putty, but if you choose putty you'll probably be better off with a spool
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I've found anything under 1 million to be useless in the front diff. Use gravity's 1 or 2.5 million in the front and between 1 and 2 k in the rear. At least that's what typically works in TC for me, I don't run VTA but it should be the same.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A t4 in vta seems like a waste. No offense.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B00t13g
A t4 in vta seems like a waste. No offense.
Why? 0.1s per lap is important in all classes. Just because its not some slightly faster blinky class or modified class doesn't mean it's less important to the racer.

Respect is important, saying "no offense" doesn't mean it's not offensive to the target.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by erchn
Why? 0.1s per lap is important in all classes. Just because its not some slightly faster blinky class or modified class doesn't mean it's less important to the racer.

Respect is important, saying "no offense" doesn't mean it's not offensive to the target.
That's great and all, but how do you even get a t4 to weight 1550g? I had to add weight to get to 1350, let alone 1380.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Tight, med bite carpet. Any spring recommendations as well? I would rather use diffs but buying two is a tad bit expensive. I've always hated a spool feeling.

Originally Posted by JOE SI
carpet? Asphalt?
I haven't really changed much from carpet as far as diff oil, 1k-3k in the rear has worked for me so far with 2k being my favorite.. As far as a diff in front, I haven't used one, only solid...
My suggestion for diff oil in front would be anywhere from 300k-1million and if I'm not mistaking they have even higher #'s and even putty, but if you choose putty you'll probably be better off with a spool
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah I've been torn on what class, but I have tires, speedo, etc for VTA.

QUOTE=B00t13g;12115058]A t4 in vta seems like a waste. No offense.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hard to make weight, sure. A waste, no...
Old 05-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoyle
I have been reading the discussion here about different springs, shock towers etc. Xray designed the T4, in my view, around the lowered shock towers and shorter shocks...

I have not run my T4 yet but have the car setup as per the kit shock settings for piston, oil and springs but being a fan of T-Shox on my TC6.1 before I also have a short set of those ready to go with zero rebound.

My questions;

Are a lot of people moving away from the kit shocks/shock towers or is this just personal preference that people are looking at other ideas?

What Xray springs and settings are people running outdoors on medium grip tarmac?
I'm running the kit springs, kit pistons and MM400 oil on med to low tarmac.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Albeit only having done 1 outing with the T4 in it's VTA setup, I think my car was on pace with the fast guys with a front spool. I did not change much from the box setup. Since VTA is slower overall, you can put a higher emphasis on lateral acceleration as opposed to yaw acceleration. The sedan class can accelerate out of corners faste therefore a high yaw acceleration will contribute to lower lap times. Due to the low acceleration in VTA, the yaw isn't as important. Maintaining a high speed through the corner with a high lateral acceleration setup proved to be faster for VTA- not always, but on our track this is the case.

Generally speaking higher yaw acceleration is achieved by an overall stiffer setup. Higher lateral acceleration setup is achieved by an overall softer setup. Stiffer means more weight transfer and less grip, softer means less weight transfer and more grip.

Why do rally cars drift around corners? Because e-brake is essentially a yaw moment actuator.
Remember, racing is all about keeping the HIGHEST possible overall acceleration- lateral and longitudinal.

For those confused about spring rates, the units are N/mm. If the spring is longer etc, then it will be capable of supporting a higher load at that higher displacement.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tight, med bite carpet. Any spring recommendations as well? I would rather use diffs but buying two is a tad bit expensive. I've always hated a spool feeling.
I used on carpet 2.7 front and 2.5 rear with 450 Xray oil all around, sometimes I'd use 2.9 up front and progressive 2.3-2.6 rear, both combos with 450 oil and 1.1 4 hole piston because 350 to me just felt way too soft.. Most combos with springs worked good but those 2 suited me for carpet...
The car just always seems to work and have more traction than needed (maybe its just me) and sometimes feels too planted but always fast and easy to drive..
The spool rips out of the corner, my only experience with a diff up front is with nitro cars and even then I used a spool, that's why I say start at 300k and go up but the guy a few posts back says start at 1million or its useless.. IMHO if its that hard I'd use a spool
Old 05-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

Default steering mod

after being very dissapointed in the amount of steering lock i was getting(about 75%) from the standard servo saver /savox servo set up and after reading what someone else had tried i came up with my rendition of that mod,i now have full lock which should help on the tighter tracks,i drilled a small hole nearer to the bearing and although i havent had a chance to test(english weather) it looks very promising,i originally had epa at 120 and still couldnt get the amount of lock i wanted/needed hence this mod,im now down to 80 epa and the lock to lock is faster,

so whats your opinion on this?
Attached Thumbnails Xray T4 '13-xray-t4-steering-mod-012.jpg   Xray T4 '13-xray-t4-steering-mod-010.jpg   Xray T4 '13-xray-t4-steering-mod-011.jpg   Xray T4 '13-xray-t4-steering-mod-013.jpg   Xray T4 '13-xray-t4-steering-mod-016.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.