Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Guys, what would your input be for a traction roll issue I've got on a high traction carpet? If I only sauce the inside half of the tire I don't traction roll but I'm about .2-.3 seconds off my pace due to slight push I get in the infield. I've got the carpet setup on it except I have the +.75 rear arm mounts. I did this to try to get the car to rotate more while using 1/2 front tire sauce but I'm still a bit off the pace. I was thinking of maybe going to a 2000 cst diff oil from the 1000 to get it to rotate more and then half the front tire being sauced would be ok. I also reduced rear droop from 5 to 6 as I noticed I was lifting the rear inside tire when cornering. That helped a tad and the rear tire seems to stay planted but I'd like to resolve this traction roll problem. This is in vta at a 1550g race weight.

Thanks much

Dave
Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If anyone is interested I have my new in the box T4 for sale. Asking $475. PM for pics if interested.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Tech Rookie

VTEC? I thought that was something Honda had lol.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Guys, what would your input be for a traction roll issue I've got on a high traction carpet? If I only sauce the inside half of the tire I don't traction roll but I'm about .2-.3 seconds off my pace due to slight push I get in the infield. I've got the carpet setup on it except I have the +.75 rear arm mounts. I did this to try to get the car to rotate more while using 1/2 front tire sauce but I'm still a bit off the pace. I was thinking of maybe going to a 2000 cst diff oil from the 1000 to get it to rotate more and then half the front tire being sauced would be ok. I also reduced rear droop from 5 to 6 as I noticed I was lifting the rear inside tire when cornering. That helped a tad and the rear tire seems to stay planted but I'd like to resolve this traction roll problem. This is in vta at a 1550g race weight.

Thanks much

Dave
What are your shock oil/spring settings?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Is it a similar effect to having the rear belt tighter than the front? I can definitely feel that.

-Mike
Yup, very similar.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks much

Dave
Going to 425cst in the front shocks helped me. I can't get the car to traction roll regardless of the spring or body I use.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks much

Dave
post your setup

Are you having traction roll problems at corner entry, thru the corner, or off the corner?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JOE SI
What kind of traction is at this track? I ask because I have almost that setup for carpet except the mid roll center in the rear. For asphalt I change the F/F to low RC for a little dive and 1mm shim on the rear inner link (not 2mm) for a low traction track
it starts out with low med,then as it gets cleaned itll get to a high medium,thats why i was going to use the stiffer springs by round 3
but its quite bumpy,i dont use any shims on the rear inner links just 4mm on the upright
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JOE SI
Check droop, ride height and shocks. Just sounds weird being loose on corner exit and push on fast corners since most of the time they're both on throttle.
Originally Posted by niemand
Hey guys,
I am totally lost setup-wise. I hope you can help me.
Im running on a small and rather tight asphalt track with low to medium traction.

My setup:
Base asphalt exept for
1mm rollcenter spacers on the bulkheads instead of 2 mm (front and rear)
rear shocks in hole 3
0,5 degrees of arm sweep front
Protoform Mazda Speed 6 body (LTCR already ordered)
Ride Re32
17,5t boosted or 10,5t

My problem:
I just dont have enough traction.
Loose rear end on corner exit, massive understeer through fast corners, slight understeer in medium speed corners and massive understeer in slow corners entry to middle.
I also drove a Tamiya teamdriver's car and his 417 v5 was just that much better so its not the trackconditions in general. He didn't even use the raceberry conversion kit

Tried a lot of stuff already, nothing really worked. So please help me. Any ideas are welcome

Regards,
David
Try my aoc setup. It was a super technical track. Adjust rear difr oil after grip level.
If you still have problems try make the car softer and make it roll more.
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=361&setup=t4

I ran the 17.5 blinky class that race.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by martinskarin
Try my aoc setup. It was a super technical track. Adjust rear difr oil after grip level.
If you still have problems try make the car softer and make it roll more.
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=361&setup=t4

I ran the 17.5 blinky class that race.
I was only saying because my track starts really low traction and I have 400 in my shocks with 2.7front and 2.5 rear then it comes up to be around med/med,high and I switch to 450 with same springs or progressive 2.5-2.8 up front and it is great. If I want it less aggressive (the way I like it and my girls too) ill just switch the fr/fr back to mid RC all around maybe little more or little less camber but usually at 1.5-2 front and same for rear with 3 toe in and 1-1.5 toe out
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry guys. Traction roll entering the corner. I have the kit 350cst shock oil. 2.7 front and 2.3-2.6 rear springs. I have attached my setup but it is the kit carpet setup w/ a few changes. Mainly rear diff height, rear diff oil, rear roll center blocks and a bit less rear droop. Saucing entire front tire nets me much faster laps but I get quick traction rolls on occasion so I've been saucing only 1/2 of the front tire and eating the .1-.2 a lap knowing I can at least drive the car hard w/o traction roll. I also tried 3/4 front tire sauce and it still traction rolled.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Xray T4 '13-rc-raceway-vta-page-001.jpg  

Last edited by TT_Vert; 05-23-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Sorry guys. Traction roll entering the corner. I have the kit 350cst shock oil. 2.7 front and 2.3-2.6 rear springs. I have attached my setup but it is the kit carpet setup w/ a few changes. Mainly rear diff height, rear diff oil, rear roll center blocks and a bit less rear droop. Saucing entire front tire nets me much faster laps but I get quick traction rolls on occasion so I've been saucing only 1/2 of the front tire and eating the .1-.2 a lap knowing I can at least drive the car hard w/o traction roll. I also tried 3/4 front tire sauce and it still traction rolled.

Dave
You can try the following:
1 - lower your ride height from 5.5 to 5.2
2 - lengthen your camber links 1 hole, currently you are in the shortest hole. Increase the length.
and / or remove 1mm from the rear outside camber link / remove 1mm from the front inside (on the bulk head) camber link.
3 - Reduce your spring rate 1 step in the front (dummy down the response rate of the car)
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bvoltz
You can try the following:
1 - lower your ride height from 5.5 to 5.2
2 - lengthen your camber links 1 hole, currently you are in the shortest hole. Increase the length.
and / or remove 1mm from the rear outside camber link / remove 1mm from the front inside (on the bulk head) camber link.
3 - Reduce your spring rate 1 step in the front (dummy down the response rate of the car)

1. Lower front/rear ride height or just front? I have a bit of a bumpy track which is why I was at 5.5 but I can try to lower.
2. Is this in refence to just the front camber link?
3. So you recommend going softer in front? Wouldn't that just cause more roll or is your thinking that it'll roll further before it traction rolls?

Thanks for the input/clarification!!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Dave
You also said you were using the +.75 rear roll centres, but the setup sheet say's -.75's

Have you tried a softer front spring or even the progressives?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
You also said you were using the +.75 rear roll centres, but the setup sheet say's -.75's

Have you tried a softer front spring or even the progressives?
My mistake, fixed the PDF. It is +.75

I've not tried a softer spring as I thought more roll would perpetuate the problem. Perhaps I'm looking at this wrong. What I was trying to do was free up the rear a bit so it'd rotate at corner entry a bit rather than want to traction roll. Raised rear roll center w/ arms to do that. not sure if that was the best way.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.